Season 631: I Mist You

A funny old song with some comical cover art.

P.S. For Jon: When I was a little kid, I always wanted to read the comics in the newspaper and always had to ask my grandmother or one of my parents to read them to me. Sometimes they did, sometimes they said they were too busy. I remember thinking, "I can't wait to learn how to read so I can read the funny papers for myself." My mom put me in a private kindergarten when I was four years old. The teacher was a retired elementary teacher who by the way had been my mom's first grade teacher also. She taught all her kids how to read. By the time I was 6 years old and starting 1st grade I was reading way above my age level. My dad has always been a Peanuts fan, and he had a stack of old paperback Peanuts collections. That stack of Peanuts books were the first books I ever read when I was 4 to 5 years old. "I was going to say I saw a ducky and a horsey but I changed my mind" is one of the strips that really impressed me back then and I never forgot it. Another one was when Charlie Brown asked Pig-Pen why he didn't take a bath and Pig-Pen replied, "I have affixed to me the dirt of countless ages. Who am I to disturb history?”

So I won't be able to post any more this week (much as I've been enjoying it!) but I will catch up with the other posts in a couple of days. Still, since it's weather week, I thought I ought to share today's experience: I went to Edinburgh this afternoon to meet a collaborator to work out some stuff we've been trying to work out for a while (very precise technical details there I realise) and on my way from Waverley Station to his office, a walk of about ten minutes, I experienced all of: bright sunshine, wind, rain and hail. I always say that if you're out and about in Scotland then it's a good idea to carry a raincoat and sunglasses, but this is the first day for a while that I've wished I had a crash helmet.

Anyway. Have a nice weekend all :). Looking forward to hearing what else you all come up with!

Great season, Jon! Thanks for hosting! It’s so good I originally posted this on an older thread 🤬

Here‘s one I’ve done a lot, but not in the last two years! There’s a bathroom on the right . …

As for the weather, it’s late March in Central North Carolina.

IMG_1151.jpeg

I recorded this on the 20th of March 2018 As a gardener you just want the snow to disappear so you can being to plant things, but it is relentless and keeps coming back. And it is no different this year.

They all talked about the beast from the east
Was he a rider on a pale horse?
No birds fly by, in the blue and empty sky
The field remain frozen with frost
Snow all around covering the ground
The frost in the forest does not relent.
Not a blossum to be seen, no a hint of green
This is the winter of our discontent
Its the silent Spring, no new songs to sing
Something has really gone wrong.
No food on the shelves, can’t feed ourselves.
Winter has stolen Spring’s song
The bud has blackened on the bough
What price salvation now?

Hi Jon😊 Hope your week has been great!
I have a Switchfoot song here..
Written by Jon Foreman, of course. 😊
Here is an excerpt from Songfacts of what he said about it:
“ ‘Restless' was inspired over in the UK. I was listening to the rain and watching these individual drops drip down the window and thinking that every one of them is in pursuit of the ocean, that they will stop at nothing, and gravity will eventually one day lead them to the ocean. And I began to think of my own life and wondering if I had that same drive, that same pursuit for that which is right and true.”
❤️
I also wanted to share this short clip of Jon reading the poem that the song came from:

And here’s my simplified version of Restless:

thank you sweet folks for another wonderful day of songs!
more originals from Berni and Rob, pop and rock classics
from Marin and Rick, tin pan era from Alan,
old time and modern folk from Jim and Michael,
and a couple of lovely videos from Rob and Tanya to give us pause for thought
as we contemplate the beautiful mystery and wonder of the world around us, eh Sally...
🌻

sally draws the sun.jpg

Last edited:
i absolutely had to bring this song to the season. It was the first one I thought of for weather theme, and as it turns out the first one Jon mentioned (hmmm... maybe that's not a coincidence, now I think about it). It's also one that gets me quite emotional, in a confused happy/sad way. I love it. And Irving Berlin said it was his favourite of the songs he'd written.

thank you sweet folks for another wonderful day of songs!
more originals from Berni and Rob, pop and rock classics
from Marin and Rick, tin pan era from Alan,
old time and modern folk from Jim and Michael,
and a couple of lovely videos from Rob and Tanya to give us pause for thought
as we contemplate the beautiful mystery and wonder of the world around us, eh Sally...
🌻

View attachment 169149

Most of the videos I have shared have been winter ones, so for contrast here is one from the summer and picking blueberries

Top Bottom