Season of the 'Ukulele (SOTU) 629 - Season of the Cuckoo'lele

And time for my last song this season (but not, I hope the last of the season - still room for plenty more, and I hope to hear them). Thanks @hands_on_lanzon for hosting something with a deep theme, and for the generous gift of painting postcards!

One of the verses of this song by Francesca Caccini reads:
“chi desia di saper cos’è Amore Io dirò che non sia ...se non furore” which may be translated as
"whoever wants to know what love is, I will tell him that it is nothing... if not obsession"

Last edited:
It wouldn't take much to convince me that I coulda used my brain, experience, and time better, but I had the thought of this chart in mind and the nerd part of me overpowered the sensible part of me. Anyways... if any of you folks like data, here's some. It's a count of song entries by date and user (FYI, the colors and grouping are completely arbitrary).
View attachment 168136

FYI, I'm up to five postcards to paint, as 4 Seasonistas have signed up to host upcoming weeks and one new Seasonista has joined.
There's still some time to keep me busy!

Cheers, all!!
I knew you were my people, Chris. This is BEAUTIFUL!

Hey Chris! Hope things are going well for you! Thanks for the theme this week. It hits close to home for me as well as many others here, it looks like. I appreciate the spotlight on it and I also agree that it should be recognized more. We all are dealing with it to one extent or another. It’s not easy to have and it shouldn’t be looked at lightly, although too often I feel it is.❤️
Anyway, I wish I could’ve added more this week especially being that it’s a subject I feel for a lot. This song was tricky for me to get down well enough for my liking, but here it is anyway.😊 Thanks again.🤙❤️

I initially wanted to try learn this as an instrumental, chord melody, fingerstyle or whatever the right term for that is... but it turns out, it's super fun to sing! Sometime ya just gotta let loose and belt... go a little crazy. We've had a buncha songs called Crazy or with the word crazy in it... well, here's one that hasn't been done yet, by Gnarls Barkley.

It's the HOME stretch (see what I did there?... referencing the next season *wink wink * nudge nudge). Get your final Season 629 songs in (fingers crossed for yours, @ukudancer ) and go sign up to host, if you can.

MY DAD WORKED HARD - Rachael Kilgour

I think this one works for both 629 and 630. I just got an invite to a house concert next Saturday. The performer is Rachael Kilgour. I had never heard of her, so I looked up some of her YouTube clips and this was the second one I found. Check her out. She's brilliant.

My ears are burning! Hahaha. To be completely honest, I could have had this done 3 days ago as just a simple piano + ukulele duet, but it just kept calling for more. A guitar harmony part, then came the bass and then I decided to double the bass part with strings...I thought I was done there, but then I added the kick drums and some guitar power chords laced with some fuzz (I kinda buried it tho). I then added another set of strings (this time a 5th higher than the bass line). The last part I ended up recording was that little ascending piano line in the interlude / outro.

I also didn't feel like resolving to C since it felt like Barbie & Billie Eilish are both looking for a sense of belonging. There's definitely a lot of introspection & sadness on this song. It was really quite fun to dig into it. Even just from a musical standpoint, there's a LOT more going on than it's initial impression.

Anyway, I hope you guys like it.

I initially wanted to try learn this as an instrumental, chord melody, fingerstyle or whatever the right term for that is... but it turns out, it's super fun to sing! Sometime ya just gotta let loose and belt... go a little crazy. We've had a buncha songs called Crazy or with the word crazy in it... well, here's one that hasn't been done yet, by Gnarls Barkley.

It's the HOME stretch (see what I did there?... referencing the next season *wink wink * nudge nudge). Get your final Season 629 songs in (fingers crossed for yours, @ukudancer ) and go sign up to host, if you can.

This was actually the first song that popped into my head since the guy who inspired me to pick up a uke played this at a weekly jam at my hometown bar.

Here's a footage of UNRB playing Crazy at some function (you can only see the bass & sax, but the singer is playing a Pono electric uke through a bunch of effects). I LOVED this band. They usually took turns doing solos between the keys, sax & uke. The uke solo here actually quotes Ariana Grande's song Into You before they start trading solos with the sax player.

Gnarls Barkley - Crazy cover by UNRB

I also used to bring a bunch of dance partners to this jam and just dance all night long. These were the good old days for me.

Here's their cover of Rehab if you want to see his uke in action:

Last edited:
This was actually the first song that popped into my head since the guy who inspired me to pick up a uke played this at a weekly jam at my hometown bar.

Here's a footage of UNRB playing Crazy at some function (you can only see the bass & sax, but the singer is playing a Pono electric uke through a bunch of effects). I LOVED this band. They usually took turns doing solos between the keys, sax & uke. The uke solo here actually quotes Ariana Grande's song Into You before they start trading solos with the sax player.

Gnarls Barkley - Crazy cover by UNRB

I also used to bring a bunch of dance partners to this jam and just dance all night long. These were the good old days for me.

Here's their cover of Rehab if you want to see his uke in action:

I was kinda hoping to see some dancing in action!

Reactions: TBB
Oops ... I posted this video on YouTube hours ago for 629 + 630 ... and then forgot to post it here. It's 50 minutes late now, but I made it for you!

I'll edit in more info in a moment.

This was the first song I thought of for a 629-630 twofer. It's a song about a home town with some residents of dubious mental health.

You can see why I didn't want to start 630 with it yesterday. There's a lot of cringy stuff here ... but I've done a good portion of the Tom Lehrer oeuvre, and haven't done this one before.

Last edited:
I was kinda hoping to see some dancing in action!
Ask and you shall receive!

Here's me as a baby dancer 7 years ago...Getting more comfortable with improvising, but still had much to learn. Live music is harder to dance to since you never know how much improvisation the musicians are going to do (and they do a lot with jazz & jam bands). It trained me to listen and follow the music (which is now coming in handy when you don't have a metronome and have to follow yourself playing a different instrument)

fixed

Last edited:
Ask and you shall receive!

Here's me as a baby dancer 7 years ago...Getting more comfortable with improvising, but still had much to learn. Live music is harder to dance to since you never know how much improvisation the musicians are going to do (and they do a lot with jazz & jam bands). It trained me to listen and follow the music (which is now coming in handy when you don't have a metronome and have to follow yourself playing a different instrument)

dance-y dance
awwww link doesn't seem to be working for me!

Hi All!! Hope you're all enjoying Berni's season 630 so far! I still have a few videos to watch and comment on before I come up with a wrap, hopefully later tonight.

In the meantime, here's one that I recorded as a season two'fer. Although it's not specifically about mental health, I discovered this song during the pandemic lockdowns, when I was going a little stir crazy. The song made me feel a little better about being stuck at home for so long. I included the lyrics to the first verse, where the state of the singers' mental health might warrant some attention, as he mentions numbness and might perhaps be dissociating or avoiding. I don't think it's actually what the song is about, but it's just a bit of what I felt as I heard it in lockdown. Those were the times, eh?!

1710175441898.png

It's 'This Must Be The Place' by the Talking Heads.

Home is where I want to be
Pick me up and turn me around
I feel numb, born with a weak heart
I guess I must be having fun
The less we say about it the better
Make it up as we go along
Feet on the ground, head in the sky
It's okay, I know nothing's wrong, nothing

^ you can do what you want. You're the host. :p

ps - the link is fixed. I think.
pps - Talking Heads is always a fun cover.

+1 Chris. Thanks for the fun week. :)

link's fixed and cutting that rug looks like a ton of fun!

Dancing is always fun. I can't recommend it enough as it's such a great and sociable hobby. I honestly thought I had two left feet, but here I am 9 years later and I just added hip hop to my repertoire of Lindy Hop, Blues, Fusion and West Coast Swing. (I still need to properly learn Argentine Tango and the waltz).

Hi All!! Hope you're all enjoying Berni's season 630 so far! I still have a few videos to watch and comment on before I come up with a wrap, hopefully later tonight.

In the meantime, here's one that I recorded as a season two'fer. Although it's not specifically about mental health, I discovered this song during the pandemic lockdowns, when I was going a little stir crazy. The song made me feel a little better about being stuck at home for so long. I included the lyrics to the first verse, where the state of the singers' mental health might warrant some attention, as he mentions numbness and might perhaps be dissociating or avoiding. I don't think it's actually what the song is about, but it's just a bit of what I felt as I heard it in lockdown. Those were the times, eh?!

View attachment 168294

It's 'This Must Be The Place' by the Talking Heads.

Home is where I want to be
Pick me up and turn me around
I feel numb, born with a weak heart
I guess I must be having fun
The less we say about it the better
Make it up as we go along
Feet on the ground, head in the sky
It's okay, I know nothing's wrong, nothing

Add your own video to the playlist. If you put my Eilish cover as well, that would make for 99 videos.

That's a lot of songs to go through!

Starting to wrap things up... this will be over a few posts, so bear with me and imagine a long drumroll as you scroll quickly or study slowly. I should really be working, but instead I've decided to use my brainpower for the greater good.
  • 44 Seasonistas submitted songs this week + a few guest Seasonistas who had videos submitted on their behalf (welcome back @Friesse, my secret vocalist slash favorite person in the entire world who's too shy and would rather remain nameless and faceless, all of Wendy's birds friends and open mic friends, and Jon's fam doing some gardening in a home video)
  • For those of you still matching UUUsernames to real names to virtual faces, I've created the list below to help you feel a bit more at home* here in the Seasons. (*Season 630 plug 😉)
  • 99 Entries show up on the list I created below (table 1)
    • Somehow the YT Playlist shows 100 videos, but two unlisted and there's one IG entry counted in the list below (I don't have the brainpower to reconcile it)
    • Wendy's Open Mic entries included four songs each, so we definitely broke into 3 digits!
Table 1. Entry Info
CountUU NameNameSongArtistDate
1​
hands_on_lanzonChrisHELP!The Beatles
3/2​
2​
UkeCan1WendyLeap Day
The Bruce's Philosophers Drinking Song
Crazy Little Thing Called Love
Games People Play
Original
Monty Python
Queen
Joe South
3/3​
3​
Charley BCharleyReefer MadnessHawkulele
3/3​
4​
Canada JimJimCrazyPat Donohue, parody of Willie Nelson
3/3​
5​
JooJooTouch Me Someplace I Can FeelJohn Callahan
3/3​
6​
Renaissance-ManRMHurtJohnny Cash
3/3​
7​
LimousinLilValWalk on ByDionne Warwick
3/3​
8​
wee_ginga_yinRobA hell of a DuetCharles Bukowski
3/3​
9​
mythinformedMarkCrazyPatsy Cline
3/3​
10​
dr_mitchPaulI don't like MondaysBoomtown Rats
3/3​
11​
AlanDPAlanTwistedWardell Gray and Annie Ross
3/3​
12​
mikelz777Mikel/Scott?I Built a FriendAlec Benjamin
3/3​
13​
mountain goatJonriches and wondersOriginal
3/3​
14​
FlatbaroqueJohnPaint it BlackThe Rolling Stones
3/3​
15​
flyingrocRoyLithiumNirvana
3/3​
16​
mountain goatJonthe yellow leaforiginal
3/3​
17​
UkeFooteBrianIt's No Good TryingSyd Barrett
3/3​
18​
mythinformedMarkStill Got the BluesGary Moore
3/3​
19​
LimousinLilValLoving You Has Made Me BananasGuy Marks
3/4​
20​
wee_ginga_yinRobMy s**'s Fucked UpWarren Zevon
3/4​
21​
Ms BeanSabineLa mamotteVan Beethoven
3/4​
22​
TheOnlyUkeThatMattersRalfO' SanityYoko Ono
3/4​
23​
UkeCan1WendyNeurodiversity (Matchmaker parody)Original
3/4​
24​
hands_on_lanzonChrisI'll Stand By YouThe Pretenders
3/4​
25​
good_uke_boyGUBFire and RainJames Taylor
3/4​
26​
Canada JimJimCrazy Lazy From LondonderryMichael Smith
3/4​
27​
jtsteamEdwinFinal StrawOriginal
3/4​
28​
Canada JimJimThe DutchmanMichael Smith
3/4​
29​
Renaissance-ManRMBeautifulChristina Aguilera
3/4​
30​
mountain goatJonsong for john berrymanOriginal
3/4​
31​
wee_ginga_yinRobWhat they wantCharles Bukowski
3/4​
32​
wee_ginga_yinRobWhat they wantCharles Bukowski
3/5​
33​
FlatbaroqueJohnMad WorldGary Jules version
3/5​
34​
hands_on_lanzonChrisCrazy for Uke (Parody)Original
3/5​
35​
pabrizzerBrianmy old friend the bluesSteve Earle
3/5​
36​
LimousinLilValVincentDon McLean
3/5​
37​
One Man And His UkeJohnLike The Regent Benefiting From The Madness Of King GeorgeOriginal
3/5​
38​
JooJooall my trialsNick Drake
3/5​
39​
jtsteamEdwinSit DownJames
3/5​
40​
jtsteamEdwinOverthinkers AnonymousOriginal
3/5​
41​
Canada JimJimBidin' My TimeGene MacLellan
3/5​
42​
acharmanAndrewColorblindCounting Crows
3/5​
43​
mythinformedMarkDowntownPetula Clark
3/5​
44​
wee_ginga_yinRobLove Will Tear Us Apart AgainJoy Division
3/5​
45​
hands_on_lanzonChrisSocietyEddie Vedder
3/6​
46​
LimousinLilValACUTE SCHIZOPHRENIA PARANOIA BLUESThe Kinks
3/6​
47​
redpaul1PaulWish You Were HerePink Floyd
3/6​
48​
UkeCan1WendyBrain Damage/EclipsePink Floyd
3/6​
49​
ukukeguyRobertThoughts of Mary JaneNick and Gabrielle Drake
3/6​
50​
mythinformedMarkThe Long and Winding RoadThe Beatles
3/6​
51​
jtsteamEdwinBetter ReasonsOriginal
3/6​
52​
ThreebirdThreebirdMr. BobbManu Chao
3/6​
53​
dr_mitchPaulWild Man BluesJelly Roll Morton, Louis Armstrong, Eddie Davis
3/6​
54​
mountain goatJonlean-toOriginal
3/6​
55​
acharmanAndrewThe Quiet RoomAlice Cooper
3/6​
56​
wee_ginga_yinRobHouse on the HillKevin Coyne
3/7​
57​
BarbalancaBerniLost HoursOriginal
3/7​
58​
One Man And His UkeJohnNOYFBOriginal
3/7​
59​
jooJooon MondayOriginal
3/7​
60​
JokoJokoCrazy MamaJ.J. Cale
3/7​
61​
TheOnlyUkeThatMattersRalfOn Melancholy HillGorillaz
3/7​
62​
OldscruggsfanOSFYou May Be RightBilly Joel
3/7​
63​
CeeJayCJHappy Days and Lonely NightsSellers and Milligan
3/7​
64​
mountain goatJonpoem for worn out loversOriginal
3/7​
65​
DelGriffDelI Wanna Be SedatedRamones
3/7​
66​
AlanDPAlanCrazy PeopleBoswell Sisters
3/7​
67​
CeeJayCJFolsom Prison BluesJohnny Cash
3/8​
68​
jooJooI can't sleepOriginal
3/8​
69​
YorkSteveSteveMadnessPrince Buster
3/8​
70​
OldscruggsfanOSFThe Merry Go Round Broke DownCliff Friend
3/8​
71​
mountain goatJonIsaiah 45:23Mountain Goats
3/8​
72​
hands_on_lanzonChrisOne More LightLinkin Park
3/8​
73​
jooJoothe voices in our headsOriginal
3/8​
74​
MezcaleroKevStarry Starry NightDon McLean
3/8​
75​
TBBVictoriaLe CygneSaint-Saëns
3/8​
76​
UkeCan1WendyBrain Damage/Eclipse
We're Not Gonna Take It Home, Country Roads
Fool on the Hill
Leap Day
Pink Floyd
John Denver vs Twisted Sister
The Beatles
Original
3/9​
77​
UkeCan1WendySo Long, FarewellThe Sound of Music
3/9​
78​
wee_ginga_yinRobMad WorldTears for Fears
3/9​
79​
mikeinmontaraMike
3/9​
80​
xommenWimCrazySeal
3/9​
81​
ChaosLibrarianMarinFired My TherapistMadelline
3/9​
82​
flyingrocRoyHurtNine Inch Nails
3/9​
83​
TCKTCKParanoidBlack Sabbath
3/9​
84​
TCKTCKMadnessPrince Buster
3/9​
85​
TCKTCKValerieAmy Winehouse
3/9​
86​
Canada JimJimWe were Kind of Crazy ThenSusanna Clark
3/9​
87​
Mezcalero & FriesseKev & Jasmine FellowsAcross the UniverseThe Beatles
3/10​
88​
UkeCan1WendyYou're My HomeBilly Joel
3/10​
89​
wee_ginga_yinRobCrazyPatsy Cline
3/10​
90​
BystanderHelp!The Beatles
3/10​
91​
kolibriYlleI'm Going Slightly MadQueen
3/10​
92​
dr_mitchPaulAll the Young DudesMott the Hoople
3/10​
93​
OiNumiDellArpachi desia di saperFrancesca Caccini
3/10​
94​
YooperGirlTanyaUnwellMatchbox Twenty
3/10​
95​
hands_on_lanzonChrisCrazyGnarles Barkley
3/10​
96​
Canada JimJimMy Dad Worked HardRachael Kilgour
3/10​
97​
ukudancerArvinWhat I Was Made ForBillie Eilish
3/10​
98​
UkeCan1WendyMy Home TownTom Lehrer
3/11​
99​
hands_on_lanzonChrisThis Must Be The PlaceTalking Heads
3/11​

Seven songwriters submitted 17 originals.

Table 2. SOTU 629 Originals
UU NameNameSong
UkeCan1WendyLeap Day
mountain goatJonriches and wonders
mountain goatJonthe yellow leaf
UkeCan1WendyNeurodiversity (Matchmaker parody)
jtsteamEdwinFinal Straw
mountain goatJonsong for john berryman
hands_on_lanzonChrisCrazy for Uke (Parody)
One Man And His UkeJohnLike The Regent Benefiting From The Madness Of King George
jtsteamEdwinOverthinkers Anonymous
jtsteamEdwinBetter Reasons
mountain goatJonlean-to
BarbalancaBerniLost Hours
One Man And His UkeJohnNOYFB
jooJooon Monday
mountain goatJonpoem for worn out lovers
jooJooI can't sleep
jooJoothe voices in our heads

Rob led the way with 8 entries, Wendy led the way with 13 songs in 7 entries (if my math is correct), followed by your host (me), Jon and Jim rounding out the top 3 submitters.

Table 3. Entry Count
UU NameEntry Count
wee_ginga_yin8
UkeCan17
hands_on_lanzon7
mountain goat6
Canada Jim6
Joo5
LimousinLil4
mythinformed4
jtsteam4
dr_mitch3