Season 630

My youngest has been practicing “Rocky Top”, and I realized it had the word “home” in it, and he was willing to practice a little with me and make a video. He was not willing to do many retakes, though, so the chord I flubbed had to stay in. :rolleyes:

I took my ukulele with me when I went for lunch at Serangoon Gardens today.
I played an Elizabeth Cotton song at a lovely park nearby called Chartwell Drive Park. I didn't play smoothly but at least I got through the whole song.:--)

i think a dove's cooing sounds sound like home to me.
there were doves cooing in this video:---) and car sounds :--(

Circa 1960, Three of us, all members of the 76th Hamilton Boy Scout troop, had a folk trio and the banjo player's dad tried to introduce us to some interesting material, one of which was Tom Lehrer.
In the mid-sixties I was attending Teachers' College and our math prof played Lehrer's New Math.
In 1981, Maggie and I merged our record collections and one of her LPs was Tom's That Was The Year That Was.
Shortly after the turn of the century, I ran across this boxed set in a record store and snapped it up. Probably the complete Tom Lehrer collection. There are three CDs, but one of 'em is in the car.
View attachment 168291
Our headmaster was a mathematician - so we studied New Maths. It was great fun. Our textbooks were the Schoools Mathematics Project (SMP) Vols 1-V. I was never a great maths scholar, but I do remember the cartoons and quotations that prefaced each chapter. My favourite came in the chapter on Choice & Probability: "Fate makes our relations. Choice makes our friends." 😊

He lived till one day short of 104! Nigel Halford Fanshawe

This was the first song I thought of when I saw this season's challenge. It's taken me till now to figure out an arrangement. I'll let you be the judge...

Code:
Home - Lene Lovich (1979)
[original key is G#m/E]

| C#m C#m | E   E   | F#m F#m | A       |
| / / / / | / / / / | / / / / | / / / / |

C#m     E         F#m   A
Home is where the heart is
C#m     E     F#m  A
Home is so re-mote
C#m     E      F#m  A
Home is just e-mo - tion
C#m      E     F#m  
Sticking in my throat

A               | C#m7           | E   E   | F#m F#m |
/ / Let's go to | your place / / | / / / / | / / / / |
A               | C#m7           | E    E    | F#m F#m | A     | C#m *10 |
/ / Let's go to | your place / / | / / / / | / / / / | / / / / | / / / /

C#m               F#m
Home is where the heart is
C#m           F#m
Home is so re-mote
C#m            F#m
Home is just e-mo-tion
C#m            F#m
Sticking in my throat
C#m             F#m
Home is hard to swal-low
C#m            F#m
Home is like a rock
C#m                F#m
Home is good clean liv-ing
C#m            F#m
Home is - I for-got

| C#m7           | F#m A
Let's go to | your place / / | / /
            | C#m7           | F#m A
Let's go to | your place / / | / /

Break
| C#m | */* | E   | */* | C#m | E   | */* | C#m | F#m
| E   | */* | C#m | F#m | C#m
| C#m | B / A# / | C#m | B / A# / | C#m |

C#m            F#m
Home is so sus-pic-ious
C#m               F#m
Home is close con-trol
C#m              F#m
Home is will you miss us
C#m               F#m
Home is - I don't know

| C#m7           | F#m A
Let's go to | your place / / | /   /
            | C#m7           | F#m A

| B A# | C#m | B A# | C#m |

C#m            F#m
Home is ag-gra-va-tion
C#m             F#m
Home is so much fuss
C#m               F#m
Home is mind your bus'-ness
C#m            F#m
Thank you very much

| C#m7           | F#m A
            | C#m7           | F#m A

C#m
I don't want to go back
I don't want to go back
I don't want to go back any more

Last edited:
Berni, thanks for hosting! These days, Dave Dudley’s truck might be electric-powered, so the line about the smoke … well, carry on … 🙂

Hi again Berni! I'm not sure this is really what you had in mind for the theme but I've been trying to resist since Sunday and I have now cracked. It's a Les Barker parody, about going out to do something and it just doesn't work out, so what can you do but go home?

I'm guessing that most Seasonistas will know the tune here at least. The words might be new to you though... Les Barker is brilliant. Look him up on youtube, watch him reciting poetry to an audience of people rolling in the aisles. It's totally worth it.

i was thinking of the word "homemade" today ......
i always like how BirdsEyeViewOfMyUkulele and Ukulele Extra Cheese (and others) refer to their originals as "homemade songs".

I knew Cheese must have some songs that fit the theme. Yep. This one does. I like it a lot. And i knew i could use what i was wearing today to present my cover to you.
:)
I had fun making this.
(Hope you are OK with my cover, Cheese!)

@ukulele extra cheese

You belong to me by Kate Rusby

Travel is exciting but it separates people. The traveller can enjoy all the wonders of the world but the one left at home sometime suffers from the separation, which makes them feel incomplete.

BERNI's Thoughts CONTINUED:
What a super duet on "Take me home, Country Roads" from Renaissance Man and Emba.

I have no bone to pick with Rob's following contribution. A real Eastern European feel to his arrangement of "Having a Bone to Pick"

Is this a first for the seasons, Mom and Koala duetting on "Home Sweet Home" Rocky Top! Lovely!

Joo brings us a gorgeous song from a delightful garden in far off Asia! With some good advice for extending your life at the end! Don't miss it!

Paul decides home is not for him in agreement with Lena Lovitch (who switched homes from the USA to England when she was 13 - that must have been her "Lucky Number" )

Rick must be knackered after being "Six Days on the Road" but it doesn't show in this spirited performance! If you haven't heard Taj Mahal's take on this, you MUST!

Edwin offered us a fun parody of the Sloop John B..... And introduced some of us to Les Barker. I second that introduction. Cat lovers, look out for his "Guide Cats for the Blind" - Hilarious!

Jon Duncan brings us a super take on the original of a song which morphed later into "Wherever I lay my Hat that's my home" - a hit for Marvin Gaye and a mega hit for Paul Young. I love Jon's little slides on this one. Class!

Threebird offered us a lovely version of a song I was unfamiliar with. His great vocal had echoes for me of some of the lesser known Bluegrass vocalists my Dad listened to when I was a kid.

Joo delighted us with a version of a Cheesy song (pun intended) that put a smile on my face - especially in the "special effects" lines. And made me reflect on the incredible changes that I have seen in my lifetime. Who says "Nothing ever changes!"???

Rob gives us a fine rendition of "You belong to me" - which I musts admit, I had never heard Kate Rusby sing. I think it was a show tune, wasn't it?

Reactions: joo
With a nod towards Joo and Extra cheese a memory from when my father made rhubarb wine. A freshly minted WeeOriginal

he used an enamel bread bin and floated big bits of toasted white bread on top of the fermentation liquid. It was redneck hillbilly stuff. IMG_20240315_152456.jpg

Last edited:
Missed the previous Season, so I’m glad to join this time round. Here’s just my 2nd participation. I’m playing & singing the 1st verse of a song entitled ‘Home’. Original singer is Ms. Kit Chan, a Singaporean singer.
This song is one of the many National Day songs of my country Singapore. I’ve also included the lyrics and chords. Looking forward to participate in more seasons!:)

Attachments

• IMG_7112.jpeg
    IMG_7112.jpeg
    72.6 KB · Views: 4
Thanks for hosting, Berni!
Here is an original song in Teochew, a Chinese dialect.

Door gods (Menshen) are divine guardians of doors and gates in Chinese folk religions. They protect a room, house or building from evil spirits. Many different deities are worshipped as door gods. Two of them are fearsome brothers who throw evil spirits and demons to their pet tigers.

My song is not trying to be disrespectful towards people who believe in door gods or any other gods or goddesses in polytheistic religion. It is just my observation that people do ask/hope for different things from different gods. One of the things many worshippers ask for is wealth in the form of maybe winning lottery. I prefer the idea of door gods protecting a household from evil spirits and demons.

English translation:
(this is not what the Teochew words are saying exactly. But it is about 95% there....)

Door God! (X4)
You can believe, you can frown!
The Door Gods are in our house protecting us!
Warding off demons and evil spirits,
Throw them to their pet tigers as treats!

Door God! (X4)
Religion is such a funny business.
You don't think about it when life is a bed of roses.
When sickness and misfortune strike you, you lit some incense and get down on your knees-
There is a different god for every malady.

Door God! (X4)
The Door Gods keep your household safe and clean.
The God of Fortune makes you rich.
I was told Guanyin (the Goddess of Mercy) protects you from everything.
If I have extraordinary ukulele skills will I be worshipped as another deity?

Door God!(X4)
(spoken)may our home be safe and peaceful.

Omg Joo! I like this song of yours! 👏👏👏 Reminds me of my childhood days when there were Chinese variety live performances at my neighbrhood park. I don’t understand the dialect but i sure enjoyed some of the lively & catchy melodies!:)

Omg Joo! I like this song of yours! 👏👏👏 Reminds me of my childhood days when there were Chinese variety live performances at my neighbrhood park. I don’t understand the dialect but i sure enjoyed some of the lively & catchy melodies!:)
Thanks Elly!

I am guessing you are Chinese, Elly? (Are you?😬😁) what is your dlalect group?

I remember those performances! We had puppet shows in Hokkien too.

Thanks Elly!

I am guessing you are Chinese, Elly? (Are you?😬😁) what is your dlalect group?

I remember those performances! We had puppet shows in Hokkien too.
I’m not Chinese, just that it ws common back then to hv such performances in our neighbrhd…as a child i ws intrigued by many things…

As a linguist and translator, I am fascinated by languages.

We tend to think that "Chinese" divides into just Mandarin and Cantonese, whereas there are many many "dialects" in China. I put "dialects" in inverted commas, because while we generally take that word to mean "spoken with a different accent and peppered with local words (Australian, Irish, American, Englishes, for example)". But "dialects" in China can be mutually unintelligible. I was shocked to learn that it wasn't until the 1930s that Mandarin was imposed as the "National" language and that there are lots of ethnic groups throughout China that have their own completely different languages.

Having had Chinese students in my classes at the University where I used to teach, I was ashamed to find that I would ask students where in China they were from and they would usually reply with the name of a city I had never heard of. I would then ask the population of said city and be told it was in several millions! How many European cities with several million inhabitants have we never heard of?

Here's a Wood Street Dogs original from last night's band practice which fits the theme.
Unfortunately, Pod - our pedal steel player, was absent so we were 3 legged dogs for the evening...
This song was written by my good friend and WSD guitar player, Stephen. It was inspired by the disappearance of the 14 men of Flight 19 over the Bermuda Triangle on Dec 5th 1945 and mentions the narrator's wish to find a way home several times.
Me - 8 string baritone, vocals
Stephen - geetar
Ed - cello

Top Bottom