Season 628 - Let’s Pretend!

I thought I wasn't going to get time to do another song, but I remembered this one from my old days as a country songwriter and it is just perfect for the theme - so I had to record it for this Season.

Hope you like:

Thank you for hosting, John!
Within the “let’s pretend” theme, who’s up for a good haunting?
The Girl From The Highlands
Written by Thomm Jutz & Milan Miller.
From the 2006 Balsam Range album Mountain Voodoo, lead vocals by acoustic guitar virtuoso (and Luthier) Caleb Smith of Caleb Smith Guitars, Waynesville, NC, USA.

[F] She lives within the shadows that [E] fall upon the [Am] walls.
[F] She walks through my dreams un- [C] til the morning [G] calls.

Last edited:
Hi John! Thanks for hosting. It's taken me a while to get around to it this week since I've barely been at home, but here's a They Might Be Giants song celebrating a large part of the animal kingdom.

By the way, while I'm here, we are running out of hosts and a couple of weeks from now, there's nobody lined up to host a season at all. Any volunteers? Remember that the Seasons only happen if someone steps up and picks a theme so if you're enjoying yourself, please consider having a go. It'd be especially lovely to hear from people who haven't hosted before or who haven't done it for a while. I bet you have some great ideas. You can sign up here: https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/threads/sign-up-for-future-seasons-iv.147504/

My turn...

If you don't want to hear the story, the music starts at 00:01:33

There's a lot of pretending in this song. The narrator, fantasizing imaginary boyfriends, the beautiful girls who "win the game" but really end up losing, Friday night charades, dubious integrity, etc.

I met Janis Ian once - I sang in a female a cappella group who opened for her. She is the loveliest person you could possibly imagine ... and is extremely short. It's pretty clear why she got chosen last when choosing sides for basketball.

I agree about Janis - she is a good friend of mine. My wife and I had dinner with the and her wife Pat in Toronto, the night before they got married, and wouldn't let me buy them dinner!

Good morning Seasonistas, and thank you all again for your entries overnight. Some real gems as usual, and the playlist is up to date. Got a busy day ahead so will see you all later as we start to look forward to Chris’ season. But we still have a couple of days left so plenty of time to bring a few more songs.

Reactions: joo
Getting old and having dementia, trying to put on a brave face, phoning old friends and pretending somehow the loss of loved ones, the monotonous days would somehow be more bearable if someone said hello.

I know it's not easy, but for once we could at least pretend that the world is a better place.
It will be so nice to imagine it, that we will then do everything to make it come true.
Good listening

In disguise, pretending to be someone else. "Judy in Disguise (With Glasses)" by John Fred and Andrew Bernard was a hit song in 1967. Nobody seems to know what the lyrics mean, but many agree that the title is a play on "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds".

I wanted to bring another song by The Pretenders...i only know a few of their songs.
So i went to listen to more songs by them...and i found this today.
I used a little ukulele ornament i bought from a second hand shop to play this.

Last edited:
Thank you those of you who’ve bought songs since this morning. I’m working all day again tomorrow so don’t think I’ve abandoned you all 😂. I don’t doubt that all eyes are turned toward Chris’ fabulous sounding season, which is only right and proper, but I will check in again tomorrow evening and see what’s what. TTFN folks 👋🏻

This Em D C B7 chord progression is so versatile. There's a short in the General Yakking thread about my new place if you're interested.

Thank you those of you who’ve bought songs since this morning. I’m working all day again tomorrow so don’t think I’ve abandoned you all 😂. I don’t doubt that all eyes are turned toward Chris’ fabulous sounding season, which is only right and proper, but I will check in again tomorrow evening and see what’s what. TTFN folks 👋🏻
I've been listening to a lot of Pretenders this week and they have a handful of songs that fit both seasons... one day to get em in for both, for you fast learners! A couple that stood out to me are 'Almost Perfect' and 'Kid.'

Of course, 'I'll Stand by You' has a great message of support for anyone who's not feeling their best!

Top Bottom