Season 628 - Let’s Pretend!

I think this one may qualify. It seems that the subject of this song by Jim Croce is thinking and pretending he's something he's not - Workin' At The Carwash Blues.

an original song for the season
joo did an awesome cover of this a week or so back and it made
me think of the song again: reading through the lyrics i realised
it was a particularly appropriate one for this week, as i explain in
my rambling introductory monologue lol
lyrics in the yt description
cheers John!
xo

The Jerry Springer show always had people on it, and they lived in some pretend fantasy world that surprised everybody once it was revealed what they were really like.

This is a blues based on a conversation between a male and a female, possibly cousins from a trailer park, and it involves farm animals.

Guten Morgen meine Damien und Herren! (From a sunny North of England- well the bit where I am anyway.)Some truly wonderful entries have come in since we last spoke, and all should be on the playlist. Please give me a nudge if I’ve missed any of you. Keep em coming 👍

That was fun. What is the tech you used there?

It's Zoom! I've done a few this way. (Click for a playlist of them to see what else it can do.)

I have a pro Zoom account, but I'm pretty sure you can record even with a free one.

The hoodie cat is one of the standard avatars that come with Zoom. I usually choose a video background as well, but forgot to this time. I've also used "video filters" in previous vids. All three of these things - avatars, backgrounds, and filters - are built into Zoom and available via "Backgrounds and Effects".

You can upload custom backgrounds and make custom avatars, but so far I've only used the default ones, which are pretty limited. There's a cat wearing a hoodie and one in a t-shirt - no tiger - and a handful of other animals - and like three standard backgrounds and a dozen or so filters. But even with these few options, you can do some fun things.

The process: I start up a Zoom meeting, with only me in it, choose my video effects, and record. After recording, Zoom automatically converts the recording to MP4 (though that might be a setting I set long ago).

I record the Zoom videos on my Mac computer, then Airdrop the video to my phone, then edit it in the iPhone Photos app and upload to YouTube like I normally do. (Most regular videos I record with my phone, so these last two steps are how I do all my videos.) I'm pretty sure you can record Zoom videos on any phone, tablet, or PC as well, and then edit and upload however you normally do.

One little detail I leaned the hard way the first time I did this: by default, Zoom records your name in the corner of your video by default. There's a setting somewhere for this, with a checkbox you can uncheck. You only need to do this once, and it remains off for future videos.

The first Zoom Seasons video I made ("Paul Cezanne"), I was able to edit out the name after the fact, by cropping the video frame in the iPhone editor, but I didn't like losing part of the frame by doing that. Unchecking the Zoom setting eliminated the need for that.

The other really important thing for recording music on Zoom: Be sure to turn on Original Sound before you record! There are two parts to this - a setting to "Enable Original Sound", which you only need to do once, and turning ON original sound, which you need to do every time. Original Sound is off by default every time you start or join a Zoom meeting, so remember to turn it on, or you will not hear your ukulele! (Don't turn it on in a regular Zoom meeting - the default sound setting is optimal for speaking.)

I fear I've made this sound rather complicated, but it's actually quite simple and quick, especially after the first time. And fun to play with when I want some simple special effects.

Oh, and an interesting bit of fallout from having made this video:

I went out right after to play trivia with my team ... and we won first place! One of the questions - which I knew only because of having just made this video! - was about the Rocky movies! While listening to the original song, I had learned from the video comments that Carl Weathers, who played Apollo Creed, had recently died. The trivia game showed a photo of him and asked what character he played ... and I don't think I would have remembered otherwise.

It's been nearly a year since I've written an original song (the last one was for my mom's birthday, March Forth! - so just a few days shy).

I have a whole playlist of mostly original songs for obscure holidays - like Halloween, Father's Day, Bastille Day, Robert Burns' birthday, Ash Wednesday, and so forth. But today is the rarest of the obscure holidays ... the one that comes round once only every four years ... February 29th, Leap Day!

If I missed the chance to write a Leap Day song today, it would be a very long time before I'd get the chance again, so I did it!

It qualifies for this theme by mentioning how Leap Day babies can claim they are only 1/4 of their actual age.

PS, I had a brief moment of "oops" this morning when I checked my watch to confirm the date, and it said March 1st! Then I realized my watch does not know what year it is, so by default it assumes the day after Feb 28 is March 1. It does however know of the existence of Leap Day, and I was able to reset it to Feb 29.

It's been nearly a year since I've written an original song (the last one was for my mom's birthday, March Forth! - so just a few days shy).

I have a whole playlist of mostly original songs for obscure holidays - like Halloween, Father's Day, Bastille Day, Robert Burns' birthday, Ash Wednesday, and so forth. But today is the rarest of the obscure holidays ... the one that comes round once only every four years ... February 29th, Leap Day!

If I missed the chance to write a Leap Day song today, it would be a very long time before I'd get the chance again, so I did it!

It qualifies for this theme by mentioning how Leap Day babies can claim they are only 1/4 of their actual age.

PS, I had a brief moment of "oops" this morning when I checked my watch to confirm the date, and it said March 1st! Then I realized my watch does not know what year it is, so by default it assumes the day after Feb 28 is March 1. It does however know of the existence of Leap Day, and I was able to reset it to Feb 29.

It's generally considered to be an Irish tradition, harking back to the fifth century and St Brigid of Kildare. Brigid apparently insisted that St Patrick, the patron saint of Ireland, give women permission to propose marriage every leap day. When Patrick relented, legend has it that Brigid immediately proposed to him.

It's generally considered to be an Irish tradition, harking back to the fifth century and St Brigid of Kildare. Brigid apparently insisted that St Patrick, the patron saint of Ireland, give women permission to propose marriage every leap day. When Patrick relented, legend has it that Brigid immediately proposed to him.
I read about this tradition, and so much more. There is a ton of interesting lore and info about Leap Year and Leap Day! I considered putting some of it in the song ... but there's enough for a whole album!

So I stuck to the basic facts most of us know ... and added a twist to make it more universal ... so I wouldn't have to wait four years to be able to perform it again!

I read about this tradition, and so much more. There is a ton of interesting lore and info about Leap Year and Leap Day! I considered putting some of it in the song ... but there's enough for a whole album!

So I stuck to the basic facts most of us know ... and added a twist to make it more universal ... so I wouldn't have to wait four years to be able to perform it again!
A sweet girl from Kildare called Brigid
Told everyone that she was frigid
But she had a plan
To get her a man
And have a ring on her hand's fourth digit.

Yes, I'm sorry, John ... I certainly shouldn't be back again for another go so early! But I have something pressing that I should be doing today, so it was obviously of the utmost necessity to find an alternative occupation and so I wrote a song - ye gods! I think the last song I wrote was some considerable time ago and had something to do with an orphaned tomato. This one was prompted by a chance remark someone made to me recently and has come out a bit "Country and Western," which is very strange as I really don't like Country and Western! Anyway, herewith ...

Last edited:
Leap Year is one of the movies [there are many] we watch at this time every year! We are not unlike those two... but we pretend. Louie, where's Louie?

Last edited:
This probably wasn't one of the Irving Berlin's greatest hits, but here's a silly little song about a dog that likes to make a lot of noise. After the song I give a brief explanation of the three people mentioned in the song.

Here is a quick & dirty (much like the cat I would guess) cover of "Smelly Cat" by Phoebe Buffay from Friends. Chrissie Hynde is one of the co-writers of the song, and played a bit of it with Phoebe on an episode. I learned this song just for SOTU and used the first take that I didn't start laughing in.

This song was banned by the BBC in 1931. Nothing sweary in there, but it is a little innuendo-filled. Don't do what I did the other week and start practicing it on a banjolele while waiting for your friend in a parked car!

One of my all-time favourites! :ROFLMAO: Robert Crumb and his Cheap Suit Serenaders' version is OK, but it's Harry Roy's version that has that fantastic intro. :love:

Last edited:
There's a lot of pretending in this song. The narrator, fantasizing imaginary boyfriends, the beautiful girls who "win the game" but really end up losing, Friday night charades, dubious integrity, etc.

I met Janis Ian once - I sang in a female a cappella group who opened for her. She is the loveliest person you could possibly imagine ... and is extremely short. It's pretty clear why she got chosen last when choosing sides for basketball.

Top Bottom