Season 627 - It's 3/4 Time!

"Lazy Lou'siana Moon" by Walter Donaldson from 1930. I was going to do a video-in-video so you could also see me playing the u-bass but my computer takes an awfully long time to render a video like that so I ended up not doing it that way.

Sometimes, all times, Mister Moon
Someone needs you when there's love undying.
Come on, shine on, Mister Moon
Can't you hear a Dixie lover sighing, crying?

(chorus)
Lazy Lou'siana Moon, start shining
Give the ev'ning sky a silver lining.
Lazy Lou'siana Moon take warning
'Cause morning will soon be dawning.
Lazy Lou'siana Moon, say "howdy"
Make believe the skies are not so cloudy
Come from your heavenly hideaway and light the way to love!

When you're missing, Mister Moon
I confess my heart is full of sadness.
Time for kissing, Mister Moon
Light the heaven with your light of love's own gladness!

(chorus)

I find 3/4 time a bit difficult for me to feel natural with. I feel as if i need to skip or hop instead of walk naturally.

But there is a song in my song book from 2015 - a Fairground Attraction song called Comedy Waltz, which is in 3/4 time.

For anyone who has recently laughed so hard you cried, you will know why the protagonist wanted that....

Good Saturday morning from cloudy southern Finland, where we still have lots of snow and ice. My week has advanced nicely in 3/4 rhythm and it has been great to hear your submissions - to meet old favorite songs and to get to know some brilliant new ones. Thank you all for playing, singing and for listening to each others' renditions.

The playlist is up to date with 65 songs and the weekend is still ahead. Thank you again, and let's rock & roll, waltz and skip in 3/4 time some more! :)

A fantastic theme, Ylle! Thanks for hosting.

Ernest Tubb needs a bit of love, even if it’s earlier in the day than I prefer.

I find 3/4 time a bit difficult for me to feel natural with. I feel as if i need to skip or hop instead of walk naturally.

But there is a song in my song book from 2015 - a Fairground Attraction song called Comedy Waltz, which is in 3/4 time.

For anyone who has recently laughed so hard you cried, you will know why the protagonist wanted that....

Nice playing, beautiful voice!

• Wow
Reactions: joo
Not sure if I've done this one before for a season, but this is a new recording with an ad-lib kazoo solo that I didn't know I was going to do till I played it 🤣🤣

Thanks for hosting, Ylle. :)

I thought I’d venture well outside my comfort zone this week and write a waltz. But what makes a waltz a waltz? Obviously the time signature, but is there any other definitive characteristic that qualifies a 3/4 song as a waltz? Anyway, what I ended up with here sounds like a waltz, but I hedged my bets a bit with the title!

So as well as baritone uke, there’s some digital wind instrument, synth piano, bass, music box and strings, and a homemade (simple) drumtrack.

I came across this one by chance a few weeks ago and it caught my attention because of the title, and because it was from 1922 I knew it couldn't be THE "Moon River," which is also a 3/4 song, I think. The composer, Lee David, is the one who also wrote "Tonight You Belong To Me." I took the sopranino challenge on this one.

Sing to me a song,
A melody of love;
As we float along,
The whippoorwill sweetly trills above.
The moon rolls on its way,
Low across the stream;
While waters laugh and play
With each silv'ry beam.

Dream with me, love's rev'rie.
Comes a music strange, a sweet refrain,
On the gentle breeze a woodland strain.
Close to me, peacefully,
All the world around us seems to know
When I whisper that I love you so.

Sing to me a song,
A melody of love.
As we float along,
The whippoorwill sweetly trills above.
The moon rolls on its way
Low across the stream;
While waters laugh and play
With each silv'ry beam.

More Jürg Hochweber, but this time a composition for ukulele, from the fourth volume of Ukulele in Action . Thanks so much @Jürg!
I’ve only had my uke for two weeks and a day now, and the class I’m in is pretty basic, strummed songs with only 2-4 simple chords so far. Then I saw you do this one, which seemed approachable… So in the last hour I got busy, printed out the score and figured out my first picking piece in tablature and learned to play this Nuance, not with the same finesse as you but I can get through it. Thank you for sharing this piece and giving me a real head start in this new direction.

Last edited:
Top Bottom