Season 627 - It's 3/4 Time!

kolibri

out of tune
UU VIP
Reaction score
Welcome to Season 627!

After 4 & 1/4 songs of Body Language in Season 626, this week's theme is 3/4. You can
  • play songs in 3/4 time: waltzes, minuets, pop, rock or folk songs, pieces of classical music
  • play in 3/4 time a song that was originally not in 3/4 time
  • play a song that was originally in 3/4 time any way you'd like to
  • play songs that have lyrics mentioning "three quarters"
  • play only 3/4 of a song. For example, if a song has 4 verses, play only 3 of them.
The usual rules apply. FAQ
Please mention in the video that it is for Season 627.
Original songs, collaborations and instrumentals are all very welcome.
Multiple versions of the same song are fine.
Multitracking is welcome, as long as there is ukulele in the mix.

If you are new to the Seasons, you can post any song this week.

Song limit: 1 song per day or 8 songs per Season.
Prizes: Plywood 3D puzzles from Finland.

The Season 627 starts at 12:00 AM Hawaii time on Sunday, February 18th and ends at 12:00 PM Hawaii time February 25th.

Arvin's Season 626 is still ongoing, so this Sunday is a perfect day for waltzes about body parts and for playing the rest 3/4 of your mini tune.
Now, let's have fun in 3/4 time!

PLAYLIST

Indeed, an excellent ide!

I am looking forward to the inevitable arguments about whether something is in 3/4 or 6/8 :). (I'm not sure I'd be confident about telling the difference...)
Well I guess 6/8 has more of a triplet feel as with a jig for example. It’s 6 eighth notes to the bar, while 3/4 is 3 quarter notes to the bar. I think there is a definite difference in “feel” but I may be wrong….

Well I guess 6/8 has more of a triplet feel as with a jig for example. It’s 6 eighth notes to the bar, while 3/4 is 3 quarter notes to the bar. I think there is a definite difference in “feel” but I may be wrong….
Yes, sometimes it seems obvious from the feel, but sometimes I'm not quite sure. Well anyway, I'm sure if we think it fits, it fits, as usual!

A great ide for a Se, Ylle! (Why are we abbreviating everything ... am I being exceedingly dense?)

6/8 is compound meter, two dotted crotchets (2*3/8 notes), therefore two beats to the bar. 1 & a, 2 & a, etc.
Screenshot_20240218_102842_Chrome.jpg

Waltz is simple meter, 1 2 3, 1 2 3, etc.

Last edited:
Bonjour, Ylle ... and thanks for hosting! I can't promise not to bring you a song in 6/8 time, since, despite Paul's helpful explanation, I am none the wiser. This song, however, is DEFINITELY in 3/4 time. (Some people have been asking me about the uke I am using and I couldn't remember all the details, but it's a "Barebones Colonial Tenor," made by Graham Hurlock of Barebones Folk Instruments, New Zealand https://barebonesfolkinstruments.com/)

Last edited:
Top Bottom