The other kind of Holy Grail Ukulele

What's being discussed is not "holy grail", but rather your personal notion of an ideal instrument. I've owned some sought after ukuleles in the past. I once had a Kamaka KOA tenor, and a pristine 1950 Martin soprano. Neither stood out for me, among all the now 39 total ukuleles that I've owned. I'm currently at 21, up from 19 in the last month. The ones I truly enjoy happen to have cost me comparatively little. It's value to you is not a criteria for me.
I'm an easily pleased guy. Pb&J sandwiches are still a favorite. My wife still makes me (very) happy. I really like my car, although I'm not a car guy either. I'm just content.
My Mom always told us kids, "Learn to be happy with less." Pretty good advice, I think. Doesn't mean there's anything wrong with having some nice stuff; just a reminder that "things", whatever their monetary value, don't guarantee happiness, and so it's good to set your "Needs" gauge at a level where you can always be happy (or as RM said, content), with the simple things, whether in bountiful times or in "slim" times. I enjoy hopping on here with all of you largely because I can sense that you share that same perspective-- in other words, that, like me, you're "ordinary people." And... EXTRAORDINARILY nice, and EXTRAORDINARILY generous in your willingness to help and advise and encourage others.

What's being discussed is not "holy grail", but rather your personal notion of an ideal instrument. I've owned some sought after ukuleles in the past. I once had a Kamaka KOA tenor, and also a pristine 1950 Martin soprano. Neither stood out for me, among all the now 39 total ukuleles that I've owned. I'm currently back to 21, up from 19 in the last month. The ones I truly enjoy happen to have cost me comparatively little. Their value to you is not a criteria for me. I'm able to coax sweet tones from the ukuleles I own.
I'm an easily pleased guy. Pb&J sandwiches are still a favorite. My wife still makes me (very) happy. I really like my now 7 year old car, although I'm not a car guy either. I'm just content.
You've defined that better than I did, so thanks for helping to clarify that. There is another thread about a holy grail instrument, (whether a $20,000 ukulele or a vintage uke, or K brand or....) I did mean for this thread to be about what makes up someone's personal notion of an ideal instrument.

The only place for argument with your post is that the best sandwich is not PB&J. Got to leave the jelly or jam off of it and go for straight PB. :D

.... The only place for argument with your post is that the best sandwich is not PB&J. Got to leave the jelly or jam off of it and go for straight PB. :D
Freshly toasted, but allowed to mostly cool, with chunks of (unmelted) salted butter, then smothered with PB. Eat with hot coffee.
Wash hands thoroughly. Let dry. Top off coffee. Practice. Frequent breaks to let wrists relax and peruse UU.

(Truthfully, mousing around causes more pain than playing ukes. Can someone recommend a good-quality, not tiny USB touchpad?)

Last edited:
For me the grail ukulele would most likely be a one off.

I would like a ukulele in between a concert and tenor, in both scale and body dimensions.

Ideally it would have the richness of a B tenor when tuned to C and have the fret spacing that allows for easy stretches but not as cramped as a concert.

It would have an “every” note balance over the entire fretboard.

I do think that someone will one day offer a sized/fitted custom ukulele that is built to a player’s hand size and dexterity.

John

I don't care about timbre or playability. I'm more about looks and features: I want a cutaway, 19 frets, tuners behind the headplate. Aside from that I just want something that's pretty and unique.
I have nothing against pretty but I lean toward unique. Wait, were we talking about ukes?

For myself the grail ukulele described in this post reminds me of the lyrics that state;

"It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got."

When the day comes that I hold a uke that makes me sing "You're the one that I want" then it will be the grail for me even though today I have no idea what will make me do that.

I've found my grail. I know there are others out there that are better, prettier, louder, mellower, more unique, more . . . . more.

But I've found one that does everything I want it to do/be:
  • excites me to play,
  • allows me to explore unknown boundaries,
  • is within my budget (or can be with sacrifice),
  • exceeds my expectations every time I touch it,
  • and most importantly, fills my soul.

Two things:
1. I think every ukulele I've owned could have done the above if I had let it. I just wasn't ready to listen.
2. I'm listening now. I know where I want my uke playing to go and the sound I want (that's been the real journey). It's time to play.

Top Bottom