The other kind of Holy Grail Ukulele

Joyful Uke

Reaction score
There was just recently a thread on what might be holy grail for ukuleles, like a pre-war Martin guitar might be a holy grail for guitar players.

IMO, there is another kind of holy grail instrument. My UAS was triggered by wanting to try lots of options, but also more recently by chasing the most comfortable ukulele for me to play, (with my cranky fingers), with great sound, sustain, and playability. I think (hope) I've now found that with the Barron River that I just got. Add in that it's a beauty to look at, and what more could you ask for, right?

I would guess that others have been looking for their personal holy grail ukulele that is just right for them. What defines your personal holy grail ukulele vs. a name like Moore Bettah (though that certainly will tick all the boxes for many of you who can afford one.)

I am looking for a comfortable to play soprano that can carry a low G successfully with a lovely voice for classical and early music. My search will continue but I won't be actively purchasing to try to get there any time soon. So for now my holy grail is playing what I have as well as I can and continuing to improve on that.

I am looking for a comfortable to play soprano that can carry a low G successfully with a lovely voice for classical and early music. My search will continue but I won't be actively purchasing to try to get there any time soon. So for now my holy grail is playing what I have as well as I can and continuing to improve on that.
Does Samantha Muir play soprano or is it a concert? I know she tunes mostly high G, but her emphasis is early, baroque, and classical.

Back to the topic, I am definitely in exploratory mode, but it is not my style to stay in the endlessly searching mode that the word grail seems to imply. I actually would rather apply that sort of energy and mindset to my understanding and playing of the ukulele. In fact, UAS is in many ways a distraction that I seem unable to avoid. It's like I am concentrating on playing the ukulele and then there is this shiny object in my peripheral vision that gradually gets my complete attention. So I agree with @ploverwing in principle, but have not had the discipline to resist one more ukulele. I have a custom concert on the way sometime in the next few weeks I expect.

Playability, the ease of getting a wonderful musical tone, is at the top of my list. Unfortunately playability is a complex mix of things I can't really dissect. As others have pointed out, it is much easier to detect and describe when you have a problem with an instrument than it is to describe why everything is just right. In my limited experience, every KoAloha that I have picked up, regardless of scale has felt very comfortable and easy to play. I like the sound characteristics of some better than others, but I find them easy to play. BTW, this includes my UKESA soprano made by Pops Okami, the now retired founder of KoAloha.

I now own my holy grail, my Barron River concert. Nevertheless, I STILL think about what else is out there, despite knowing in my heart that nothing could possibly surpass it. It sounds divine, feels terrific in my hands, is drop-dead gorgeous and meticulously crafted. It’s ideal for me and for the music I play.

So why do I do this? What is wrong with me? Probably this: I need to work harder at becoming the player I want to be, and obsess less on whether some other uke would make me better. It won’t.

Does Samantha Muir play soprano or is it a concert? I know she tunes mostly high G, but her emphasis is early, baroque, and classical.
She uses many sizes! And mostly reentrant with at least one 5 string. Yes I follow her on Patreon and I have a few of her publications. She's amazing.

I now own my holy grail, my Barron River concert. Nevertheless, I STILL think about what else is out there, despite knowing in my heart that nothing could possibly surpass it. It sounds divine, feels terrific in my hands, is drop-dead gorgeous and meticulously crafted. It’s ideal for me and for the music I play.

So why do I do this? What is wrong with me? Probably this: I need to work harder at becoming the player I want to be, and obsess less on whether some other uke would make me better. It won’t.
Well, I think all of us out here will agree that there's not a thing wrong with you, Patty !!
Your honesty is refreshing, and I'll acknowledge without hesitation that, undoubtedly, my obsession with changing strings, tuning machines, adjusting action, fooling with pickups, gear configurations, etc., is my way of avoiding actually sitting down and practicing! That's likely because in my heart I know that I probably reached my peak "chops" (such as they are) some years ago, and now I find it so much fun to tinker with things associated the "process" side of our hobby-- just a great low-pressure way to unwind, and if I do an occasional performance, so be it.

Yup. Me too. Although it was gratifying when I asked my teacher to play my Ohana and it sounded not a lot better than when I play (I mean, he PLAYS WAAAAAY better than I do, but the instrument itself wasn't improved).

For me, there is no H-Grail. However, the quest for the easiest to play with the best sound will be forever. That's OK. My time is equally divided between trying to get the instrument to play and sound its best, and actually playing it.

If I find that an instrument is not that good after many months of string changes and (specifically) adjustments at the nut, it has to go. They are like bad wine. I take chances knowing that there are many better, even in the same price range. I can't know until I buy and get it in my hands.

I expect a variety of tone depending on my mood and literally the weather. Four sizes, two tunings, and electric for absolutely no practical reason. And now banjolele plucked in rhythm one string at a time. There is nothing like that except maybe a true banjo, which is way way beyond me.

I avoid glam, don't like gloss, and have no desire to deal with friction tuners. I barely tolerate 4:1 "ratio" tuners. That eliminates at least 80% of what I might go after, so shopping decisions narrow down pretty quickly. And that's a good thing.

I do know that my next ukulele purchase will be a 3 to $400-ish soprano or concert. Geared tuners. Satin, please.

Last edited:
I don't care about timbre or playability. I'm more about looks and features: I want a cutaway, 19 frets, tuners behind the headplate. Aside from that I just want something that's pretty and unique.

Why not both? I mean, I definitely want my next uke to be unique & look good, but I would absolutely want it to be playable! If the instruments don't feel good in my hands, I wouldn't really want to pick it up and play it.

Perhaps I should have said that I don't worry about playability and I don't worry about it because it is a foregone conclusion. Any holy grail or cinderella ukulele is going to have playability. So when I'm looking for the holy grail, I'm not concerned with playability; I know it'll be there. so I focus on other criteria.

I don't care about timbre or playability. I'm more about looks and features: I want a cutaway, 19 frets, tuners behind the headplate. Aside from that I just want something that's pretty and unique.
Doesn't that have an impact on playability? If you had 12 frets to the body and no cutaway, would it be harder to get to some of those notes up the fretboard? IIRC, you make use of all those notes.

Just as with life in general, I don't believe in a Holy Grail ukulele. Instead, I assembled a few good ones which complement each other with different features that I really enjoy.

I don't have a grail uke. At one time it was a Kamaka, but I found something else that sounded and played better to/for me. Right now I'm not actively seeking or even lusting after anything new. But if something that strikes my fancy were to fall in my lap... 🤔

What's being discussed is not "holy grail", but rather your personal notion of an ideal instrument. I've owned some sought after ukuleles in the past. I once had a Kamaka KOA tenor, and also a pristine 1950 Martin soprano . Neither stood out for me, among all the now 39 total ukuleles that I've owned. I'm currently back to 21, up from 19 in the last month. The ones I truly enjoy happen to have cost me comparatively little. Their value to you is not a criteria for me. It's only their worth to me that I care about. I'm able to coax sweet tones from my ukuleles.
I'm an easily pleased guy. Pb&J sandwiches are still a favorite. My wife still makes me (very) happy. I really like my now 7 year old car, although I'm not a car guy either. I'm just content.

Last edited:
Top Bottom