Sweepstakes: One of a kind instruments from Kanile'a and Taylor to reforest Hawaii

TimWilson

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Staff member
UU+
Reaction score
Okay, I admit that I slept on this one, but I wanted to mention to anyone interested that you have just a few days left to enter the Strum For A Greener World Sweepstakes for a gorgeous matched pair of a Taylor guitar and a Kanile'a ukulele, along with $2400 cash. A $10 non-refundable donation to Saving Hawaiiʻs Forests 501(c)(3) gets one (1) entry to the sweepstakes, with no limit to entries (i.e. $10=1 entry, $50=5 entries, etc.). To learn more about the fundraiser, please click here.

NOTE: NO donation required to enter! This sweepstakes is a fundraiser for a registered non-profit organization, but I also want to make clear that if you don't have the means to donate, you can still enter!! Details about that here.

1703737119711.png

So why is this happening at all? The Saving Hawaii's Forests 501(c)3 was founded by Kanile'a owners, Kristen and Joe Souza. In an effort to restore the Native Hawaiian forests that were lost to development, ranching, etc., the organization set a goal to plant 196,000 plants, all entirely endemic, to recreate Native Forest zones. Not just the koa trees, but all of the rest of the plants that make up a healthy forest ecosystem.

To facilitate this, Kristen and Joe formed a partnership with Habilitat Inc., a substance abuse rehabilitation program, to offer transformational experiences to program residents in their journey -- helping them change their lives by changing the world, if you will.

These are clearly not your run-of-the-mill instruments, even by the typically lofty standards of Taylor and Kanile'a. To give you a closer look, here's Kanile'a co-founder Kristen Souza:

And a couple of videos to put in context the work of Saving Hawaii's Forests...

...and the partnership with Habilitat:

I'm sorry I didn't catch on to this and pass it along sooner, but you have until midnight HST on December 31, 2023 to enter. Please donate if you can, and if you can't, check out the details of how to enter without making a donation. (Short version: mail in your details, postmarked by the same deadline). Either way, you can click here to learn more!

Thanks for taking a look, and good luck to everyone who enters!

Last edited:
I just made a $100 donation to the fund, not for the guitar and uke, but to support the effort. If I win them, I'll let them ride for another sweepstakes and pass back the $2400 to the fund.

Well, as one of the many non-American citizens on this forum, I don't qualify for the contest; however, I donated a small sum towards the invasive species removal effort, a topic rather close to my heart (as we daily tackle Scotch broom, ivy, Himalayan blackberries etc. in our local spaces).

Done! My wife told me that I can't learn slack key guitar because I don't have a guitar and I have a few ukuleles, so I'd have to settle for slack key ukulele. HOWEVER, If I win...I could learn slack key guitar too hahaha! But honestly, lets replant all these koa trees that all our ukuleles are made from!

Done! My wife told me that I can't learn slack key guitar because I don't have a guitar and I have a few ukuleles, so I'd have to settle for slack key ukulele. HOWEVER, If I win...I could learn slack key guitar too hahaha! But honestly, lets replant all these koa trees that all our ukuleles are made from!
After learning to play slack key on the ukulele I finally bought a used guitar to continue my slack key journey — the uke is a great way to learn the style, but many of the tunes just can‘t be transposed to the ukulele.

After learning to play slack key on the ukulele I finally bought a used guitar to continue my slack key journey — the uke is a great way to learn the style, but many of the tunes just can‘t be transposed to the ukulele.
She also just told me that if I win, all of the prizes are hers 🤣 but yeah, there's just not enough strings to pull off some of it.

as one of the many non-American citizens on this forum, I don't qualify for the contest

I'm so sorry I missed that, or I'd have mentioned it! I kind of freaked out that I was 6 weeks late even finding out that it was going on -- hey, I been busy! -- so I was hustling to post it at all... right before bedtime at that, so I'd wound up posting it twice, and one of 'em was incomplete. 🫢😳

Anyway, apologies for that, and I'll be sure to bring this up with them to see if future sweepstakes can be more broadly available!

I'm so sorry I missed that, or I'd have mentioned it! I kind of freaked out that I was 6 weeks late even finding out that it was going on -- hey, I been busy! -- so I was hustling to post it at all... right before bedtime at that, so I'd wound up posting it twice, and one of 'em was incomplete. 🫢😳

Anyway, apologies for that, and I'll be sure to bring this up with them to see if future sweepstakes can be more broadly available!
No worries. As a not-American, I'm very used to contests not being open to my participation! And I was happy to make a little contribution to their efforts nonetheless.

Well, as one of the many non-American citizens on this forum, I don't qualify for the contest; however, I donated a small sum towards the invasive species removal effort, a topic rather close to my heart (as we daily tackle Scotch broom, ivy, Himalayan blackberries etc. in our local spaces).
Hello my neighbor to the north. Living in WA, I feel your pain with Himalayan Blackberry and Scotch Broom. I'll add Morning Glory to the list!

Last edited:
We love you just as much as if you were from the States. Canadians are ok in my book.

Swilling Beer , Watching or Playing Hockey and Curling - what's not to love ? LOL 😄 😇

I'd let you in the contest if it were up to me. I'd grant you a waiver.

...can't wait to hear what a "new growth" Koa ukulele will sound like.
Pretty sure these are not being planted for harvesting. Regardless, none of us will likely be around when any are made into instruments.

Top Bottom