String recommendations?

Nothing wrong with Aquila Nylgut. I’ll never buy another set of Martin M600 due to premature A string fraying. I’m a fan of Fremont Black Lines. A set to fit a High G soprano is US$7.00 + shipping from StringsByMail.
With you on the Fremont Black Lines. Pretty much all I use on my 3 tenors. We recently returned from visiting my wife's family on Oahu. We went to the HMS on the North Shore, I bought maybe 10 sets.

I for one prefer fairly stiff strings and I dislike soft squishy strings. This may be because when I watched a video of myself I noticed quite a bit of unintentional string bending on some fast chord changes. I think that also most skilled and professional prefer stiff strings as they facilitate more precise playing.
Agreed, I like stiffer strings lately. With softer sets, I found myself unintentionally bending, making some chords sound off.

Less bend, and they seem a bit louder too. UkeLogic hard tension, Worth CD and Oasis.

Last edited:
I'm a soprano player, and always find myself going back to Fremont Blackline Mediums, when I occasionally stray...

Top Bottom