KoAloha KTO-10 acacia tenor string recommendations?

salsarev

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I have the KTO-10 arriving tomorrow. It is currently strung low g, which I'm not a fan of. What strings do you like on your all-acacia ukes for reentrant tuning? Thanks!

David

I keep Fluoro Carbon strings on my KoAlohas that are sold by Pops (of KoAloha fame) on his UkeSA of Hawaii web site. They are supposed to be what KoAloha has been shipping on their ukes. I've tried a couple other good brands but keep coming back. I've used high and low G and though I prefer flat wound low G's, I find this low G has a good sound and way outlasts the wound strings. Rick

Here's another source for UkeSA strings :
https://easymusiccenter.com/collections/accessories/products/pops-pops-highg

UKE-REKA-HIGH-G_1024x1024@2x.jpg

I keep Fluoro Carbon strings on my KoAlohas that are sold by Pops (of KoAloha fame) on his UkeSA of Hawaii web site. They are supposed to be what KoAloha has been shipping on their ukes. I've tried a couple other good brands but keep coming back. I've used high and low G and though I prefer flat wound low G's, I find this low G has a good sound and way outlasts the wound strings. Rick
I second what rhiggie said...
I have a low G set of Pops’ strings (from UkeSA) on my concert KoAloha and love them. Excellent, well balanced sound, easy on the fingertips, and the fluorocarbon low G easily fits in the nut slot. Sound wise, the low G blends in very well, and never overpowers the sound of the other three strings. I highly recommend a set of the UkeSA strings (either low or high G) for your KTO-10.

I like, but don't love, the stock KoAloha strings on my KTM. They sound very nice strummed but I find them to be too low tension when finger picking. What's interesting is that I find the low g to be very balanced with the other strings strummed, but it requires a pretty light touch when finger picking. If I pluck it a even little to hard it sorta makes a bad bongy or slappy sound and/or over powers the other strings. I also find the A string to be a little underwhelming volume wise. While that combo has created a good challenge for me in terms of simultaniously playing at different dynamics with different fingers I really would prefer something with a bit more tension. I actually just messaged Joel (UkeLogic) on Etsy yesterday describing what I liked and didn't like about the stock strings and asking for his reccomendaion. He is going to put together a sampler set for me. Basically, that's the regular tenison flourocarbon low g set (which while not high tenion is higher tension than the KoAloha strings) and then add in the A-string from the high tension set (which he says a lot of people like) and a wound low g so I can swap a few strings and figure out what I like. I realize the low g part of this doesn't apply here, but for reentrant it might be worth trying the regular tension UkeLogics and then getting him to just add-on the high tension A-string to try.

I haven't tried UkeLogics yet, but everything I've heard about them so far I like and I'm excited to give them a try.

Last edited:
I think it’s uke dependent. My opio concert longneck doesn’t like high tension. It sounds Choked. Tuned down a step or 2 and it like a totally different instrument. On the KTM that I have tuning it down doesn’t sound so good. The sweet spot seems to be at higher tension. On my Pono tenor acacia living waters works really well on it. I have a pineapple Sunday acacia and the stock strings sounds best on it. Especially the A string.

I actually just messaged Joel (UkeLogic)... put together a sampler set... the regular tension fluorocarbon low g set (which while not high tension is higher tension than the KoAloha strings) and then add in the A-string from the high tension set
I gave this a try on my own a while back since UkeLogic sends and extra A string. I have never liked high tensions on my KoAlohas but this combo seemed perfect. Those are the sets I order from him now, pink low tension substituting the "orange" A.

I gave this a try on my own a while back since UkeLogic sends and extra A string. I have never liked high tensions on my KoAlohas but this combo seemed perfect. Those are the sets I order from him now, pink low tension substituting the "orange" A.
Why the pinks and the orange? I thought the colors were just for aestetic and didn't impact tone. I guess I don't know for sure but I think the set he is sending me is all clear. Doesn't really matter to me if they aren't clear, just curious about the colors.

Why the pinks and the orange?
Doesn't really matter, but I kind of like the pinks! And sorry for the confusion, the "orange" refers to the color label he uses to signify the different strings - the A string itself is the .023 high tension pink fluorocarbon. The soft tension A is a blue label if I remember correctly.

1st stringing small.jpg

Reactions: CPG
Doesn't really matter, but I kind of like the pinks! And sorry for the confusion, the "orange" refers to the color label he uses to signify the different strings - the A string itself is the .023 high tension pink fluorocarbon. The soft tension A is a blue label if I remember correctly.

View attachment 142200

Got it! Thanks for clarifying! Those do look cool.

I'm another fan of Pop's UkeSA strings. I've tried both low and high G on several ukuleles from a KoAloha tenor to a Bonanza Oreo concert. On my Pono mahogany I still prefer Fremont Blacklines but Pop's strings are an excellent choice for most ukuleles.

Top Bottom