Strings Seeking string recommendations for baritone in fifths, CGDA.

wherahiko

Reaction score
There are a number of folks on this forum who have mentioned playing a baritone tuned in fifths, CGDA.

What strings do you recommend for this? I see SUS makes a custom set which is currently out of stock. Aquila make a set for concert (which would probably be too short and too high tension on a bari?). Other than that, there don't seem to be any other options other than using a combination of a standard bari set for the C (tuned down from D) and G and a GCEA bari set for the D (tuned down from E) and A.

I'd love to hear of solutions others are using.

EDIT: I see the strings offered by SUS are classical guitar strings, also available from Strings by Mail as individual strings. Given SUS has chosen the gauges for tenor or baritone (primarily tenor, judging from the web copy), do those of you using them on bari find them to be the right tension or is it better to go down a gauge or two to accommodate the longer string length of the bari?

Last edited:
I keep my baritone tuned GDAE, an octave down from a violin/mandolin (same as my 4-string banjo)
Were you anticipating tuning above or below this?

GDAE on concert and soprano scales work well for me. Two reasons, they tune to the exact same pitch as violin and mandolin, and chords are much easier to reach and form. I've experimented a bit with an octave down on baritone but had trouble achieving a workable low G.

Perhaps use strings from an E>E Guilele set?
lo --> hi
EADGBE
Guilele hi E would become: E
Guilele B tuned down to: A
Guilele D would become: D
Guilele A-string tuned down to: G

Related, but not related:

Or, Google this: CGDA Baritone ukulele

Last edited:
I do custom stringing using Seaguar (mostly pink, some clear), and I've strung from G2 (200 lb, not exactly a success) and C3 (150 lb, a success) on a baritone to hmm maybe C5 (30 lb) on a concert? So I think I could build you a custom string set that would cover C3G3D4A4 (is that right?). I'm guessing it would be 150/90/60/40 lb but it always depends on the exact scale length and the tension you prefer. But Seaguar isn't to everyone's taste in terms of sound and texture. I don't mind it and it lets me play with string sets in ways that the pre-packaged strings I prefer just don't. Anyway, it wouldn't cost either of us anything except time and I don't have that (ha!) but I'll do it anyway if you are interested.

I do custom stringing using Seaguar (mostly pink, some clear), and I've strung from G2 (200 lb, not exactly a success) and C3 (150 lb, a success) on a baritone to hmm maybe C5 (30 lb) on a concert? So I think I could build you a custom string set that would cover C3G3D4A4 (is that right?). I'm guessing it would be 150/90/60/40 lb but it always depends on the exact scale length and the tension you prefer. But Seaguar isn't to everyone's taste in terms of sound and texture. I don't mind it and it lets me play with string sets in ways that the pre-packaged strings I prefer just don't. Anyway, it wouldn't cost either of us anything except time and I don't have that (ha!) but I'll do it anyway if you are interested.
Thanks! This is helpful. I've now ordered the SUS set so will try this first and will report back to this forum.

Just responding to this again, in some more detail: yes, C3 G3 D4 A4 is the tuning I'm after. With the Seaguars, are you anticipating all unwound strings? I'd imagine the C3 and G3 would work better as wound strings, or else they would be either very low tension (not in itself a problem, except that my Mainland bari seems is fairly heavily built and may need more tension to sound well?) or very thick. I'd be keen to hear your thoughts on this if you've tried a C3 at 150lb already?

Thanks! This is helpful. I've now ordered the SUS set so will try this first and will report back to this forum.

Just responding to this again, in some more detail: yes, C3 G3 D4 A4 is the tuning I'm after. With the Seaguars, are you anticipating all unwound strings? I'd imagine the C3 and G3 would work better as wound strings, or else they would be either very low tension (not in itself a problem, except that my Mainland bari seems is fairly heavily built and may need more tension to sound well?) or very thick. I'd be keen to hear your thoughts on this if you've tried a C3 at 150lb already?
The 200 and 150 are pretty thick, something like 1.5 and 1.3 mm, respectively (according to my spreadsheet). Seaguar is fishing leader, intended for fishing, so there are no wound strings, nor are there any strings with increased density to allow for those strings to be thinner than they otherwise would be (which is the case with some specialized ukulele strings). The advantage is cost and flexibility: If I don't like the tension on a string, I can move up or down at will without having to buy another set. I can also make custom string sets, such as the G4C5E4A3 set I put on one of my concerts.

Anyway, you are correct the tension will be low or they will be thick. Thick strings might require changes at the nut and the bridge depending on what style bridge you have (good luck feeding 200 lb through a standard tie bar!). Like I said it will only cost you time. My baritone is currently octave GCEA and the C3 is Seaguar 150 lb. Other than the difficulty in getting it tied, and a need to modify the nut if you care about action (and to a lesser extent intonation), it works well enough that my musician/music-teacher friend declared it a success.

Top Bottom