String recommendations?

MDF

Reaction score
I recently bought a Savannah soprano uke except it doesn't have any strings and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for strings?

Musiciansfriend.com is running a string sale now, and they ship for free. You can't go wrong with a set of Martin Fluorocarbon Ukulele Strings for $5.99.

I'm a Worth flurorocarbon string fan. Worth Clears for me. I buy mine from Strings By Mail online.

But here is the thing with Worth strings: You must buy two sets... each string is doubled in length, and you cut them in half.

The problem? They cost twice as much when you buy them... AND... you end up with an extra set, which you will need to put in a place you will be able to find them again six months from now...

Go with Worth CL46. $12.99 for 2 sets... then find a friend and change strings together!

Still "Worth" it...

Otherwise- Do what Rennaissance-Man said. Fluorocarbon strings are hard to beat.

Last edited:
I have no personal experience with Savannah ukuleles. Here is a good tutorial on ukulele strings that discusses the main types of strings. Each type has its fans. The only way to tell what you like is to try each type and see what you think. The different types of strings have different sound and different feel. Some people will buy strings for the sound. Others will buy strings for the feel. Strings will sound different depending on the ukulele and on how you play it. My advice is to buy one of the popular strings like Martin M600 or Aquila Nylgut. Most music stores will sell one or the other or both. Play the ukulele until the strings wear out, then next time try a different brand. Then you can decide which one you liked better. Ukulele Underground recommends changing your strings every 2 months if you play regularly, so it won't be too long before you get to try the next brand.

https://ukulelemagazine.com/lessons/how-to-choose-and-install-a-new-set-of-strings-for-your-ukulele

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with Aquila Nylgut. I’ll never buy another set of Martin M600 due to premature A string fraying. I’m a fan of Fremont Black Lines. A set to fit a High G soprano is US$7.00 + shipping from StringsByMail.

I started, like many with Aquila Nylgut strings which were fine; over time I have come to appreciate Worh Brown strings and generally go with them when re-stringing.

I would go with a fluorocarbon, like Worth Clear, Martin 600s, Uke Logic (my favorites, I put those suckers on everything!). I hate Aquila Nylguts with a passion. But everyone's string preference is different, and some ukes sound better with one brand or type of string over another. It will take time and some string changes to discover what you prefer.

I recently bought a Savannah soprano uke except it doesn't have any strings and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for strings?
As others have said strings are a personal choice, that choice also varies over time and between instruments. My preference is for Aquila Super Nylgut, but IME regular Fremont Blackline and Martin M600 strings are fine choices too - and neither is expensive or hard to find.

This uke originally came with white nylon strings .

I think it's a good idea to choose very popular & commonly used strings as a starting point. Otherwise, you can easily get overwhelmed with the plethera of choices available.

Most sopranos come strung with Nylon High-g strings. These will give you the traditional Hawaiian jangle sound.

I'd recommend that you try Aquila Nylgut or Super Nylgut strings. Which are arguably the most used in the world due to their excellent sound. They are easy to find at music stores or online. You can experiment from there with other Nylon strings or move to Fluorocarbons.

Give the strings a week or so to stretch and settle in. They won't stay in tune for the first day or two. Play for at least three weeks to get a good baseline. Then have fun trying new sets when you feel like a change. You will always be able to return to the Aquilas if you don't like fluoros or other types of strings.

Enjoy your new uke.

As this is a beginners section it may be important to point out that there is thickness difference in strings that may be important. Fluorocarbon strings are very thin and may be easier to miss on chord changes, and sometimes they get caught under nails. Aquila Nylgut strings are more beefy and may be easier to press and play cleanly.

As this is a beginners section it may be important to point out that there is thickness difference in strings that may be important. Fluorocarbon strings are very thin and may be easier to miss on chord changes, and sometimes they get caught under nails. Aquila Nylgut strings are more beefy and may be easier to press and play cleanly.
As a beginner, I actually found the Nylgut harder on my fingers than the fluorocarbons, so I switched within about two weeks of having my new uke. Plus I personally didn't like the sound of the Nylgut, but in retrospect, they were factory installed ones, who knows how old, so I may try them another time. But those points about missing on chord changes or caught under nails is very interesting. What I find is that when I play a lot and my fingers get callouses, my callouses get caught on the strings!

As a beginner, I actually found the Nylgut harder on my fingers than the fluorocarbons, so I switched within about two weeks of having my new uke. Plus I personally didn't like the sound of the Nylgut, but in retrospect, they were factory installed ones, who knows how old, so I may try them another time. But those points about missing on chord changes or caught under nails is very interesting. What I find is that when I play a lot and my fingers get callouses, my callouses get caught on the strings!
Ah yes calluses more than nails you're right, does not happen with thick strings.

If those Aquila strings were Super Nylguts, then no wonder. They feel incredibly hard on my fingers, hate them. Surprisingly, other variants like the New Nylguts or something like D'Addario Nyltechs are better, much softer to the touch. I guess the added strength of the Super Nylguts makes them really harsh feel-wise. Can't for the life of me understand who would care for that.

I felt the the same about the nylguts.

Never had a nail issue. But who has nails on their fretting hand? 😁

This Savannah product shot from Amazon is listed as having nylon strings .
They appear to be black .
I would ask You Tuber , Rich Davis or You Tuber , Uke Stuff .
They have a lot of experience with low priced ukuleles .

51u-jLI4ddL._AC_SL1280_.jpg

If those Aquila strings were Super Nylguts, then no wonder. They feel incredibly hard on my fingers, hate them. Surprisingly, other variants like the New Nylguts or something like D'Addario Nyltechs are better, much softer to the touch. I guess the added strength of the Super Nylguts makes them really harsh feel-wise. Can't for the life of me understand who would care for that.
I for one prefer fairly stiff strings and I dislike soft squishy strings. This may be because when I watched a video of myself I noticed quite a bit of unintentional string bending on some fast chord changes. I think that also most skilled and professional prefer stiff strings as they facilitate more precise playing.

I for one prefer fairly stiff strings and I dislike soft squishy strings. This may be because when I watched a video of myself I noticed quite a bit of unintentional string bending on some fast chord changes. I think that also most skilled and professional prefer stiff strings as they facilitate more precise playing.
That makes sense; I do definitely catch myself bending strings. I am not yet at the point where I care that deeply, I have too many other technical issues that I'm trying to figure out! But that is a potential for consideration when I'm there, thanks for that input.

A little late to the thread, but after a long string discovery journey (it was cheaper than UAS at least!), I had settled on Ken Middleton's Living Water strings. Some shops have these strings stocked, too. The Worth Clears are a good alternative. I generally prefer brighter, thinner strings on sopranos and feel they produce a better tone up the neck, but this is always a matter of preference.

Top Bottom