8-String Baritone Owners- strings recommendations and more questions.

Adomaru

Reaction score
Aloha all.
Got myself a cheap Baton Rogue 8 String Baritone and it sounds lovely so far. Has a truss rod not a solid top but still great volume for laminated open pore mahogany.

I play it in standard baritone tunning that is.
dgBE
But on 8 strings is DdGgBBEE

Now I already want to start experimentin with classical guitar string and of course keep it in that tunning.

So I wanted to ask some 8String Bari owners what kind of strings are they using in standard tunning?

Also bonus questions.
1) can i restring in a way that it goes dDgGBBEE so that the low D and low G are first instead of DdGgBBEE?

2) did anyone try making all strings unison, i was thinink trying that aswell, go all ddggBBEE with 2 different baritone uke sets.

Thank you all.

Last edited:
the combo I liked the most transformed the 8 string to a six string. I removed the lower octave strings on the b and e strings, kept the double d strings, and replaced the low g string with a double octave lower string from Guadalupe strings.

So it went dD, gGG, b, e.

This reduced the chorus effect of the 8 string giving it more clarity, lowered it bass giving it more depth, and made for som lovely finger picking.

Have fun!

the combo I liked the most transformed the 8 string to a six string. I removed the lower octave strings on the b and e strings, kept the double d strings, and replaced the low g string with a double octave lower string from Guadalupe strings.

So it went dD, gGG, b, e.

This reduced the chorus effect of the 8 string giving it more clarity, lowered it bass giving it more depth, and made for som lovely finger picking.

Have fun!
Hello and thank you for your insteresting input, well you definitely gave me an idea to try it out. Wasnt think about making trebles singles but yea that could sound very good for clear fingerpicking plus the basses you have.
But I still kinda wanna keep for now that echo, but an easy experiment is maybe making my low D And G string be first instead of high D and G or making my D strings double low D strings.

As i understood by you the D string is paired so that the first is lower "d" than higer "D" and than double low "g's"

My Bruce Wei 8 came set up as: dD Gg BB EE... I like this arrangement a lot because I like to pluck from "between" the strings and just hit the low dg or just the DG strings to vary up the sound. I really enjoy playing this tenor... There are so many things to do and sounds to make!

I broke the G the other day so I went looking for something new at the music store... either a new set or a single replacement string.

I think it came with Aquila strings, but then I went to the music store and looked at an Aquila set and it was quite a bit different... I have a wound d and a solid g... but the Aquila set had two Red strings in place of those two. I'm not a big fan of the Reds because they seem to break so readily, so I didn't buy them. And they didn't have an individual 0.020 tenor string anywhere.

But you know what? The owner was in the store, and he broke open that Aquila set... and gave the high G string to me for free! Stanroys Music in Santa Rosa, you are the best!!!

I was going to buy a Living Waters set, which come highly recommended by some of the folks here at UU... set but they are out of stock when I checked...

I'm not sure what I will do next...

Top Bottom