SOTU 632 "I'LL SEE YOU IN MY DREAMS"

Joseph's Dream - John Hartford

Here's a Bible story lifted by John Hartford from the Old Testament.

(Sorry about my screen with the lyrics going blank, so I had to touch the mouse pad before I finished.)

My wife is reading Joseph and his brothers by Thomas Mann and the education of Joseph in his early years is fascinating, how he learns about mathematics, the phases of the moon, and the movement of the stars and how it all tied in with agriculture. All knowledge that has been lost to modern man because we do not look up and observe.

It took 3 takes for me to record this song today. I was crying on the last verse of the first take, as I was thinking about friends I've lost. On the second take, my voice was still noticeably shaking. You can hear my metronome at the end of the recording. It sounds like a heartbeat to me. If you're not familiar with Bob Dylan's Dream, listen, and then you’ll understand.

Here is one that I really like and wanted to learn. I am still working on it. :)

This season I didn't get to choose the song I learned, I was outvoted by my sweetie. But it was a good choice because I like the song and it was easy to learn to play (G, D, C, G all the way). Also because I see two of the other options I thought of have been done already - Dreams (Cranberries) and Wendell Gee (I didn't think there was a chance anyone would do that one). This week it is a cover of "California Stars" by Wilco (lyrics by Woody Guthrie).

Time for a double bill of two jazz standards. Firstly, from 1931, there's Dream a Little Dream of Me. Of course there are many versions; the Mamas and the Papas has to be the best known today.

Next there's the eponymous song of the season. I know I'm not the first, but I couldn't resist. From 1924 originally, again many versions including by Cliff Edwards and Joe Brown.

There's a connection between the two - both songs have lyrics by Gus Kahn (admittedly, so do plenty of other standards).

Last edited:
I hope someone covers City of Stars from La La Land. It's one of the first songs I ever learned from start to finish and I do believe it counts since it has several mentions of dreams.

I just listened to my old video from 7 years ago and it's quite horrific. lol
Im not going to revisit this one but it does mention dreams and I did it for season 314. If anyone wants to tackle it I would love to hear another version. My tab is linked in the video description. Such a fab song.

Time for a double bill of two jazz standards. Firstly, from 1931, there's Dream a Little Dream of Me. Of course there are many versions; the Mamas and the Papas has to be the best known today.

Next there's the eponymous song of the season. I know I'm not the first, but I couldn't resist. From 1924 originally, again many versions including by Cliff Edwards and Joe Brown.

There's a connection between the two - both songs have lyrics by Gus Kahn (admittedly, so do plenty of other standards).

Paul, I think you've uploaded the same song twice ... there must be another one out there somewhere!

And Hello, yet again from deepest France ... "hello" is probably safest as it covers every possible time zone! The Playlist has been updated and we are up to 52 videos ... please keep those songs coming today! For those of you who haven't slept well - and I didn't last night - you have my sympathy! I didn't dream and I woke up with a headache; this sleeping business can be a nightmare ....

dream-research-lab-needs-the-woman-to-relax-and-go-to-sleep-ech8g9.jpg

Last edited:
A Finnish lullaby "Sininen uni" (Blue Dream) by Tapio Rautavaara and P. Mustapää from year 1952. Tapio Rautavaara (1915 - 1979) was a Finnish singer, a film star, an Olympic gold medalist in javelin throw and a World Champion in archery. And my granny's favorite songwriter. :)

Top Bottom