A Bird Song That I Couldn't Attempt For SOTU 625

Canada Jim

Reaction score
The topic for Season 625 is "This Season Is For The Birds". The first song that came into my head was one that was a big hit (?) when I was in high school. I recall going to the Deluxe Restaurant, a wonderful little Chinese restaourant run by Mr. & Mrs. Wong. My friends and I never got to know Mr. Wong very well, since he spent most of his time in the kitchen, but we loved Mrs. Wong and she put up with our warped sense of humour..
One day while the Trashmen's hit was being played on all the local rock stations, we decided to each put a quarter in the juke box and play their song. Since there were 4 of us and we each got 3 plays for a quarter, that meant 12 plays in all. After about the 4th or 5th play, Mr. Wong came out of the kitchen and pulled the plug to the juke box. I wonder why.

This is the Deluxe Restaurant. R.I.P.
Deluxe.jpg

The sign, a booth and the menues are now in the Dundas Museum. Here I am with a couple of old high school buddies. four of us get together in Dundas about twice a year in Dundas to kiss the past's ass. (Bill was behind the camera.)
Unfortunately, Surfin' Bird is no longer on that juke box.
Deluxe booth.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom