SOTU 632 "I'LL SEE YOU IN MY DREAMS"

Thanks for hosting, Val, and for such a great theme!
Because I entered it in a recent Season, this isn’t an official entry. I’m posting because it’s become my favorite (though very, very sad) tune that references dreams.

The Girl From The Highlands by Balsam Range, 2006

Pre-chorus
“Well, the [F] guilt will live inside me ‘til I’m [Am] drawing my last breath.
I [F] never should’ve left her that [C] day in Inver- [E] ness.
Bridge
She [F] lives within the shadows that [E] fall upon the [Am] walls.
And walks through my dreams un- [C] til the morning [G] calls.”

Thanks for hosting, Val, and for such a great theme!
Because I entered it in a recent Season, this isn’t an official entry. I’m posting because it’s become my favorite (though very, very sad) tune that references dreams.

The Girl From The Highlands by Balsam Range, 2006

Pre-chorus
“Well, the [F] guilt will live inside me ‘til I’m [Am] drawing my last breath.
I [F] never should’ve left her that [C] day in Inver- [E] ness.
Bridge
She [F] lives within the shadows that [E] fall upon the [Am] walls.
And walks through my dreams un- [C] til the morning [G] calls.”

It IS a lovely song and well worth bringing again. If this is a new recording for the week, then I'll add it to the Playlist ... if it's not, then, regrettably, I shan't be able to; but many thanks for putting it up!

It IS a lovely song and well worth bringing again. If this is a new recording for the week, then I'll add it to the Playlist ... if it's not, then, regrettably, I shan't be able to; but many thanks for putting it up!
Thanks, Val. No, that’s the previously- entered recording.
That said, I’m working on an actual entry of a theme- appropriate tune that will be familiar to all but is thus far confounding my limited vocal range even though it was originally written & performed in F.

Hi Val, thanks for stepping up again! I found quite a few songs about dreams that I haven't done before, but then I remembered this, and couldn't resist doing it again. After all, if you haven't got dreams, where do you go? That's right, the Dream Seller! Here's a Lindisfarne song (written by Rod Clements) telling you all about them:

This was the first song I posted to a season. I like to believe I can do it at least a bit better now than I could then :). Now, for example, I know how to overdub harmonica and more ukuleles and percussion and voices, so I did.

Last edited:
A Stephen Foster song, although some website I found says it was written by someone named Jerry Ernst, who I can't find any mention of anywhere else on the whole internet. Anyway, the scan of the original sheet music clearly says Stephen C. Foster.

UPDATE: I found him. He's a modern-day musician who covers old songs from the 1800s.

Last edited:
Last Night I Had The Strangest Dream - Ed McCurdy

I see Jon has beat me to this one and I'm off now to listen to his rendition.
I first saw Ed at the 1962 Mariposa Folk Festival, where I attended his vocal workshop.
Before the turn of the century, we invited Ed McCurdy to perform at the Cobourg Waterfront Festival, a folk festival put on by the same folks who ran our local folk club, Folk At The Forum and I had the job of chauffering Ed around. He ate supper at a local restaurant with Maggie, Darcy, Clayton and me and told us some wild and crazy stories from the Great Folk Scare in the sixties. He was a shameless flirt who kept hitting on my darlin' lovely wife.

Mariposa 1962 poster.jpg

Ed moved from The States to Canada in 1948. He moved back and forth over the years and did not become a Canadian citizen till 1986.

Thanks for hosting Val & for the theme.

This is a song about daydreaming. Sitting in a Dream by Roger Glover from The Butterfly Ball & the Grasshopper's Feast (sung by Ronnie James Dio).

And this one is an original inspired by the theme called Walking in my Sleep. Not totally sure what it means, if anything, but it's about dreaming. A bit rough as soon as the camera went on today for both of these songs but that's how it goes some days.

Last edited:
Yesterday I did a 632/631 twofer, about rain, that opens with a line about "the American dream".

Today I searched my Dropbox for songs with "Dream" in the title, and this was at the (alphabetical) top. It's a song about (and titled) "An American Dream" (by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band), that also features rain. It's too (two?) late for another twofer, and I didn't pick it for that ... but it's unofficially my third in a row.

And yes, it is still raining here ... and getting colder ... everything is damp. So this seemed an appropriate pick, to dream of escaping the rain to a tropical paradise.

(PS, when I went looking for a more accurate chart of it in Ultimate Guitar, I discovered there are heaps of songs titled "American Dream", many by very well known artists. Have at it!)

I'm not sure what's up with the apparent wardrobe malfunction of my top, but maybe it will get me thousands of views. (My far and away most ever viewed video is apparently that popular (77K!) due to my "headlights" showing through my tank top ... which I didn't notice until viewers pointed it out to me. Yegods.)

I was just gonna do the one quickie, and save this one for tomorrow, but it's such a fantastic song I couldn't help myself.

I intended to ham it up, but instead I got so moved by it I almost couldn't get it out.

Which, in hindsight, is pretty much what happens to me every time I see this movie or a live stage version of "Man of La Mancha".

Because Don Quixote is nuts, and a laughingstock, but he's also a man with a dream ... and a hero.

Good morning (and etc.), One and All, from deepest France where it is currently raining and I have just spent a delightful half hour or so sitting in bed with a cup of tea, listening to all the contributions that have come in "overnight" ... thanks so much, Everyone! The Playlist should be up to date - please let me know if I have inadvertently omitted you. For the last few weeks I seem to have been having disconcerting dreams just before waking - in fact, those seem to be the only dreams I can remember - so it's good to listen to "comforting" dream songs. Please keep them coming ... oh, AND the nightmares and any other sleep-related songs! Meanwhile, I would remind you that dreams can be DANGEROUS ...

images (12).jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom