Show Us Your Favorite Non-Uke Instruments

I don't do it much now (COVID killed off a lot of the local group activity) but I used to be very into West African percussion...djembe, dunun, etc. I still have a few but they don't get played much since I discovered ukulele and rediscovered guitar.
View attachment 168281
Ever give a bohdran a try?

Ever give a bohdran a try?
Never got around to it.

The problem I have now with percussion instruments is they mostly need to be played in a group setting. Drum solos are OK as a fill-in, but no one wants to listen to 20 minutes of me banging away on a djembe. The local group drum scene has faded away to nothing more than a twice-a-month drum circle during the warm weather months. That's OK but it's not that satisfying. Pre-Covid, we had a strong West African drum and dance scene and that was a lot of fun, but pretty challenging to my aging body. The dancers wanted fast rhythms and my hands and arms were having trouble keeping up without paying the price later.

Here is another small favorite of mine: the world's smallest pocket trumpet, still tuned to Bb like a regular trumpet.

As with the uke, I have really come to enjoy small and portable instruments.

Attachments

• 20221118_194105-01.jpeg
    20221118_194105-01.jpeg
    72.1 KB · Views: 10
Have any of you played your instruments with ukulele groups? Seems as though they'd be welcome (depending on how well played. 😉) We have bass, accordion, cajon, shakers, partial drum set, steel guitar. Saw old Cynthia Lin video w/ a trombone.

Last edited:
My favorite is my “tenor” guitar, followed by the “Irish” bouzouki and tenor banjo…02846F54-9FA8-4565-99F5-1B1D3D8D4546.jpeg240C18F7-3254-4826-B4B4-BBF0CCAD0BBA.jpegD00C6CD8-037C-4D49-8444-EBE55D0488BD.jpeg

CAE3B4DF-A7EB-49EF-B051-CC25DAD2DB3B.jpeg
I just realized I didn’t have any photos of my beloved guitar I bought when I was 13, a Canadian-made Norman B20 Folk. Solid spruce top with maple neck and wild cherry laminate back and sides. It’s 14 degrees here in Ontario right now so I brought it outside for a glamour shot.

It’s not an expensive guitar (I think I paid $350 CAD around the millennium) so I was pleasantly surprised when I took it into a music shop recently and about three different staff members remarked on it, I’m not sure why. But it made me feel good about my little honey ❤️

Top Bottom