I've seen your uke, your headstock, your backside. Show me your socks!!

cool socks...but you forgot to put the word "Thread" at the end of the title of your post.
"I've seen your uke, your headstock, your backside. Show me your socks thread!!"
or "...show me your socks!! Thread."

My socks help reduce the complaints about my banjo ukulele playing. I literally "put a sock in it".View attachment 165043
Good stuff, Jim!
Several years ago, I spent several hours making what I intended as an “inside the resonator mute” for my very loud Fender Leo banjo. I first cut an open ended mold from a modified PVC drywall bucket, then pulled cling film over one side and began carefully filling the mold by spraying it one-third full of expanding Great Stuff insulating spray.

Knowing I’d eventually need to cut away a portion of the center to allow for the banjo’s truss rod, I waited two full days for the stuff to set up. Because I’d used cooking spray along the inside face of the mold, I was easily able to pop the huge yellow coin away from its mold. I then used a coping saw to trim away all the excess Great Stuff, and a pocket knife did the work for cutting a void to allow for the truss rod.

Long story short, whether with or without the Resonator, the banjo was not one bit quieter.

I’ve since used a 1-inch x 3-inch section of foam rubber under the strings immediately in front of the bridge, which is a fine mute.

Last edited:
Top Bottom