Slack key show with Daniel Ho and George Kahumoku Jr.

peanuts56

Reaction score
We went to a Masters of Hawaiian Music show in Chatham, NJ this past Friday. Uncle George and Daniel Ho. The tour included Tia Carrere, however she didn't appear at this show. I think this was the last show on the tour. The show was held at St. Paul's Episcopal Church. A young man named Andrew Wang also performed. I think he is a member of this church. Daniel played guitar, piano and ukulele. I've heard Daniel years ago, but he only played guitar. He's very skilled on ukulele. He was using a Romero Tiny Tenor.
The Masters Tour plays this church every year. We usually go to Boston to hear them at Club Passim in Harvard Square. For some reason there was no stop in Boston this year. We live about 2 hours from Boston and also this town in NJ. I have an old friend from our trumpet playing days close to the town in NJ. He and his wife joined us.
The church is hosting Herb Ohta Jr. and Bryan Tolentino in July. I know Herb and reached out for the date, he said they will be playing on the 25th. Admission is only $15. Such a deal!!!!!!

I am so envious. If they ever line up some shows for Daniel and Herb Jr. to go and play stuff off their three records together - I will travel for that. If I had these close to me like you I would absolutely be there. You're getting to see the masters at work!

Andy Wang organizes this event every year and brings some of Hawaii's finest to NY/NJ area. Andy, I believe, is the only slack Key guitar player in NJ- at least that is how I presented him when I booked him at the theatre I ran. We also had Uncle George, Daniel Ho, Ledward, Hapa, and the Slack Key Guitar Festival, along with many other Hawaiian greats perform at our theatre, in Southern NJ. Hawaiian artists would perform in Virginia, then with us in Blackwood, NJ, then Andy's in North Jersey, NYC, and then Boston. Every venue got a crowd for these concerts because it is really rare to see these great artists here. One year we had George Kahumoku, Jeff Peterson, Ledward Kaapana, and falsetto/ukulele great Uncle Richard Ho'opii in the same concert. Now, I think it is only Andy who gets these great artists to appear locally. I remember it being a pretty stormy night the night of the concert. Good for you for taking the ride there.

Andy Wang organizes this event every year and brings some of Hawaii's finest to NY/NJ area. Andy, I believe, is the only slack Key guitar player in NJ- at least that is how I presented him when I booked him at the theatre I ran. We also had Uncle George, Daniel Ho, Ledward, Hapa, and the Slack Key Guitar Festival, along with many other Hawaiian greats perform at our theatre, in Southern NJ. Hawaiian artists would perform in Virginia, then with us in Blackwood, NJ, then Andy's in North Jersey, NYC, and then Boston. Every venue got a crowd for these concerts because it is really rare to see these great artists here. One year we had George Kahumoku, Jeff Peterson, Ledward Kaapana, and falsetto/ukulele great Uncle Richard Ho'opii in the same concert. Now, I think it is only Andy who gets these great artists to appear locally. I remember it being a pretty stormy night the night of the concert. Good for you for taking the ride there.
I have the tickets for Herb and Bryan. Andy really works hard bringing these artists in. Really nice guy.
Led hasn't been on the Masters Tour the last 2 years.
Led, Willie K and Kamakakehau Fernandez did a show a few years back at The Bronx Botanical Garden. I had something going on that day and wasn't able to get down to hear them.
One of my sisters is on Oahu for a few days with friends. I reached out to Herb to see where he's playing. He's in Ewa on Sunday night. Unfortunately, my sister and friends didn't rent a car last I heard and they're in Waikiki.
Jake is in my area on Father's Day.

Top Bottom