Show Us Your Favorite Non-Uke Instruments

frets alot

Reaction score
We love our ukes and we share pictures of them regularly (after all, this is a uke forum :rolleyes:;)).
Knowing many of you also play other instruments, I thought I'd start a fun thread where we could show our favorite non-uke instruments.

What you got?
I'll start.

My first love is fingerstyle guitar (since 1973) and my second is mountain dulcimer (since 2007). So, I will share one picture of each. There are many other guitars and dulcimers in my home, but gotta limit myself here. 😊

Taylor K24ce (koa):
K24ce (12).jpg

Folkcraft Custom (butternut/walnut):
FolkcraftCustom (3).jpg

Here's my bluegrass banjo with the custom cherry pot.
IMG_0459.jpg

My favourite non ukulele instrument is not actually mine, I just get to play it sometimes: a bass djembe. I can't get a photo because its owner is in Nigeria at the moment! When he's back, and next time we're playing, I'll take a pic.

A few years ago I bought this wood kazoo because it's so unique. I only recently started using it for a couple of songs my group does.

Wood Kazoo.jpeg

20240214_202506.jpg

Here is mine, a curved soprano saxophone. Just like a uke, it is so tiny and cute...! And so portable!

View attachment 168262

Here is mine, a curved soprano saxophone. Just like a uke, it is so tiny and cute...! And so portable!
You don't even use a strap to play it? I think I noticed in YouTube videos that the sound is different from a straight soprano, is that something you hear when you play? Cute indeed!

You don't even use a strap to play it? I think I noticed in YouTube videos that the sound is different from a straight soprano, is that something you hear when you play? Cute indeed!
I habitually use a strap, but it's not really necessary as this sax is so lightweight and also so short that you can't just let it hang down while playing. I do think that it sounds (and feels) more like a "real" saxophone, just shrunk down. I also prefer the "saxy" look over a straight soprano.

Funny story: I stumbled across this sax because the almighty algorithm suggested it to me when I was searching for "sopranino (ukulele)". Didn't know I wanted one but here I go, after more than 25 years of abstinence from the sax. And much like with the uke vs. guitar, I have learned to prefer a smaller and more compact instrument.

Are you a saxophone player as well?

I habitually use a strap, but it's not really necessary as this sax is so lightweight and also so short that you can't just let it hang down while playing. I do think that it sounds (and feels) more like a "real" saxophone, just shrunk down. I also prefer the "saxy" look over a straight soprano.

Funny story: I stumbled across this sax because the almighty algorithm suggested it to me when I was searching for "sopranino (ukulele)". Didn't know I wanted one but here I go, after more than 25 years of abstinence from the sax. And much like with the uke vs. guitar, I have learned to prefer a smaller and more compact instrument.

Are you a saxophone player as well?
I'm more of a flute than a sax player, but my first sax anniversary is coming up in April. I started on the flute aged nine, and I added piccolo at 14 yo.

Here's a photo showing my piccolo, an ABS fife and my baroque traverso on the table; my alto flute stands angled in the saxophone case; my alto sax at the centre and my standard concert flute left front.

[My Dad played his straight soprano at my wedding, which is still at my parents' home keeping his tenor, baritone and another alto company.]

IMG_20240311_105040.jpg

I'm more of a flute than a sax player, but my first sax anniversary is coming up in April. I started on the flute aged nine, and I added piccolo at 14 yo.

Here's a photo showing my piccolo, an ABS fife and my baroque traverso on the table; my alto flute stands angled in the saxophone case; my alto sax at the centre and my standard concert flute left front.

[My Dad played his straight soprano at my wedding, which is still at my parents' home keeping his tenor, baritone and another alto company.]

View attachment 168266
Wow, a nice collection! I started on flute, before switching to alto saxophone. After high school, I got away from it. I tried various wind instruments since, but never settled on one in particular, except for the Native American Flute. I have 6 now and enjoy them. Do you play in an ensemble or mostly on your own (or with your dad)?

I don't do it much now (COVID killed off a lot of the local group activity) but I used to be very into West African percussion...djembe, dunun, etc. I still have a few but they don't get played much since I discovered ukulele and rediscovered guitar.
L83A4011.jpg

…and a kalimba!! 😎

I don't do it much now (COVID killed off a lot of the local group activity) but I used to be very into West African percussion...djembe, dunun, etc. I still have a few but they don't get played much since I discovered ukulele and rediscovered guitar.
View attachment 168281
Wow, that's so neat. Even though you've gotten away from it a bit, I think they'd make beautiful centerpieces in your home. I've always loved listening to a great percussionist. 👍

Top Bottom