Season 628 - Let’s Pretend!

Jon, you devil! You beat me to punch in posting this one, and I certainly can’t post mine because this is a very tough act to follow. :)
Great job as usual, Mate!
Feel free to post. This goes for any of you lovely people. Having more than one version of any given song is not forbidden when I host.

Feel free to post. This goes for any of you lovely people. Having more than one version of any given song is not forbidden when I host.
No worries, John and Jon. I’d had second thoughts about the Jackson Browne tune anyway and am working on a different song that will also fit into @LorenFl’s discussion thread of tunes that mention girls’ names in title, verse or chorus :).

Hi John. Here’s one from Warren Zevon about a scoundrel. Yes, he wrote many of them. But this guy may be the most despicable!

Thanks for hosting, John! 🙂

Here’s an original - slow and sad. Baritone uke, synth bass and pads, and some vocal harmonies too.

Lyrics

Hollow, I’m so hollow,
I’m so empty inside;
You filled me up with so much love
But then you cut me open wide.

Hollow, I’m so hollow,
I’m so sick of all the pain.
I’m begging you darling come back to me
And fill me with your love again.

Let’s pretend you never really left me,
Let’s pretend you never went away,
Let’s pretend that I’m the only one that you want,
Let’s pretend that you are here to stay.

Hollow, I’m so hollow,
I can’t take any more -
I am the one that loves you the most
Yet I am the one that you ignore.

Let’s pretend you never really left me,
Let’s pretend you never went away,
Let’s pretend that I’m the only one that you want,
Let’s pretend that you are here to stay.

Last edited:
The horse was foaled in 1741 and originally owned by Francis Godolphin, 2nd Earl of Godolphin, and later sold. His name has been recorded as "Squball", "Sku-ball", or "Stewball".

Leadbelly recorded it as a chain gang call and response song... and Peter Paul and Mary did it more in the style of an Irish broadside ballad... as a waltz

I chose to do it in a minor key and as a tango instead of a waltz, I ask myself... Why not?

Betting on the right horse and gaining your freedom.

Last edited:
Hello, yet again, John... sorry, I seem to be overdoing it a bit this week; but I'd just come back from lunch out and the sun was shining, so I decided to take advantage of it. This song occurred to me yesterday when I was knitting and I'm not sure, really, that it isn't a step too far for this week's theme; maybe the Thornton rule needs to be invoked! I took it that the fellow in the song was "pretending" to the outside world that he didn't know his ex-girlfriend's new chap was a bit of a cad and deceiving her. (I suppose we all know things about others that, for one reason or another, we make a conscious decision not to divulge - I certainly do - and I guess that qualifies as a sort of "pretense.") Anyway, I LIKE the song!

Last edited:
I had planned this as a crossover with the previous season, but my cold got in the way. It's still a touch in the way, but what the heck - I'm not going to miss bringing at least a couple of songs.

The horse was foaled in 1741 and originally owned by Francis Godolphin, 2nd Earl of Godolphin, and later sold. His name has been recorded as "Squball", "Sku-ball", or "Stewball".

Leadbelly recorded it as a chain gang call and response song... and Peter Paul and Mary did it more in the style of an Irish broadside ballad... as a waltz

I chose to do it in a minor key and as a tango instead of a waltz, I ask myself... Why not?

Betting on the right horse and gaining your freedom.

The Hollies did it in a similar vein to Peter Paul and Mary, but then it took a sideways leap and bcame John Lennon's Happy Xmas (War is Over)! :geek:

"I can't let you go, so why pretend"

Nick Lowe, who turns 75 in March, is a pal of Chrissie Hynde, certainly enough to call on her services as a backing vocalist on People Change, from his album At My Age.
In 2017 I was delighted when Yep Roc, Nick's US record label, re-released "Nick Lowe and his Cowboy Outfit" complete with two bonus tracks, one of which, a cover of Leroy Van Dyke's hit, Walk on By, became a regular part of my acoustic set at the time at a local pub, so cheers, Nick!

A quickie from me this time (FAWM is still on). As soon as I saw the theme for this one, I started playing with various ideas using the word "pretend" - my muse seemed strangely absent and I was beginning to wonder if I would get a song in this season. Then, this morning, I woke remembering an incident form my early days in Catalonia and the chorus just popped into my head. The rest came swiftly afterwards.

I explain the concept of False Friends in the description on my YouTube Channel

Hope you like:

Hi folks, I’m recovering from a knee surgery, so found some time to learn a song for this week’s theme. The song is from Mulan, who is singing how she wish she could show the world who she really is, instead of pretending to be who she isn’t.

Top Bottom