Does anyone walk while playing? or play while walking?

In 10+ years I can't think of a single time that I've done it which directly reflects my want and/or need to do it. I like doing both but I see no need or reason to combine the two.

Last edited:
Ha ha, nice try. Not a graceful dancer. I fall easily, and if I hit concrete or tile, I might not get up. My bones are 72 years old....
I've learned to live within my physical limitations. I've lifted many a fallen patient, and sent some to the ER for injuries.....

At a local charity fundraiser, I once saw a musician walking all around the cocktail party singing and playing her Fluke uke, equipped with a wireless pickup and using a wireless vocal mic, all into a small PA. Sounded great, and looked like fun!

I don’t, and I’ve been gun-shy about walking around with my uke hanging from a strap ever since I was doing that (just for a short distance, between the desk where I was playing and something I wanted on the bed) and knocked into the end post of the bed with my weight behind the uke and cracked it. The crunch was sickening. I got a luthier to fix it, and he did a great job, but “0 stars, do not recommend” for the whole experience. It’s now my official travel uke.

I mean, probably walking while playing is fine for people who aren’t as klutzy as me, though. It sounds cool in theory.
Sorry 😞

I took my Outdoor Tenor to a Renaissance Festival with a strap for a lute. Walked behind my 6 year old niece playing “adventure music” as her personal bard. It rained one of the days but wasn’t any trouble stumbling around in the mud playing tunes from Skyrim and Lord of the Rings!

My 15 y.o. daughter and I take turns playing the uke while walking our dog in the neighborhood. Made a few new friends and received compliments too lol.

The pI was going to start a thread on the closing eyes and facial expressions. If only someone could take pictures of our expressions... I think it would interesting and quite funny 😁
Never thought about closing my eyes when playing, but last Tuesday my wife and I changed spark plugs and wires on my truck. The back passenger side plug was very hard to get to, so I closed my eyes and imagined it in my head where the plug was. I was able to put the socket on the spark plug and removed it. It works. Your brain is amazing. Close yours eyes and see those chords. Steve

...When you are stepping to the rhythm and letting all the little extra bounces and pulses be part of your stride you start to really relax into a sort of a dancing while walking.
Yeah, I can't walk by a street musician or even a passing car radio without unintentionally falling into the rhythm of whatever's playing. Even music I think I don't like has me moving to the beat.

I'm a klutz and the side war in front of my house is an obstacle course due to roots coming through. I'd be missing a uke really quick

I was going to start a thread on the closing eyes and facial expressions. If only someone could take pictures of our expressions... I think it would interesting and quite funny 😁
I usually practice songs with my eyes closed. It seems to help me concentrate on the music. My problem is I sometimes have to practice the songs with consciously open eyes to learn how to perform them in public (or just put on shades and keep my eyes closed!) I agree that the facial expressions are very interesting because they are pretty much unconscious and are hidden from our view, eyes closed or not. Emotions are a big part of the music and we often wear it on our faces.

I usually practice songs with my eyes closed. It seems to help me concentrate on the music. My problem is I sometimes have to practice the songs with consciously open eyes to learn how to perform them in public (or just put on shades and keep my eyes closed!) I agree that the facial expressions are very interesting because they are pretty much unconscious and are hidden from our view, eyes closed or not. Emotions are a big part of the music and we often wear it on our faces.
I'm still in the intense concentration face phase of my learning. I try to smile (when I remember) while playing sometimes, because a) it does improve everything and b) probably looks a lot better than a scowl.

I'm still in the intense concentration face phase of my learning. I try to smile (when I remember) while playing sometimes, because a) it does improve everything and b) probably looks a lot better than a scowl.
Same. I'm lucky if I can stand and get two chords out without the uke flipping into the air.

Yeah, I always usta stand or walk around when I still played wind instruments. It’s very good for breath control, but then I got to be an old, tired guy. Then I played standing but for shorter periods with a rest in between. FinalIy I became an old, tired, sitting musician.

Life is hard and then you die.

My Italian Grandpa would smile constantly when he played the Accordion. I think that might be the only instrument that can keep up with the ukulele for being "Happy"

Top Bottom