Cheap brands going upscale

Ukecaster

Reaction score
Was rather surprised to see Mahalo, a low end brand, offering a "Master Series" with all solid woods, and upscale "Toneflow" bracing similar to a well known K-brand. No idea how they sound, but they're trying to go upscale.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230812_085529_Chrome.png
    Screenshot_20230812_085529_Chrome.png
    383.7 KB · Views: 9
Some Mahalo are really good, even their mid-range stuff.
I've had good experiences with some tenor and baritones in $100-200 range.

Their solid body bass ukulele is also fantastic.

Was rather surprised to see Mahalo, a low end brand, offering a "Master Series" with all solid woods, and upscale "Toneflow" bracing similar to a well known K-brand. No idea how they sound, but they're trying to go upscale.

Hmm...

Mahalo MM2 Master Series Concert Ukulele
MM2
Regular price$159.00

When will someone invent a "tuner implant" (like an EQ without the pickup), just an onboard tuner? Minimal modification required, certainly less than a sound port.

Hmm...

Mahalo MM2 Master Series Concert Ukulele
MM2
Regular price$159.00

Yeah, "upscale" is a relative thing. I see a listing for the tenor at AUS$299, which works out to roughly US $199. Not a bad price for solid wood with a pickup, but not what most of us think when we hear "Master Series."

That said, it's always nice to see anyone level up, at any price point! Better ukes for everyone!

When will someone invent a "tuner implant" (like an EQ without the pickup), just an onboard tuner? Minimal modification required, certainly less than a sound port.
Maybe retro fit something like this

I may try a D'Addario NS Micro. I'm just not sure it will fit on a ukulele's headstock except over the logo which I am trying to avoid.

Last edited:
I suspect that it is not a brand sold by the popular UU sellers or the unpopular sellers, which is probably why UU members are surprised at the 2023 Mahalo Range.

However, most of the ukulele players on the planet are aware of the Mahalo product range and often it is hard to get the product before it sells out. That is why Mahalo can claim to be No1 and the World's most played brand.

I think they are made in Indonesia on the tropical island of Java, where Yamaha also has a factory. Indonesian wood workers have a 1000 year culture of working with wood and can produce some amazing wooden products. So it is not hard to accept that the instruments have been hand made by craftsmen.

I think it is only one of many brands that rarely appear on UU. There is a whole world of ukulele out there.
Pono ukuleles are made on Java as well. And have been since its inception.

Yeah, "upscale" is a relative thing. I see a listing for the tenor at AUS$299, which works out to roughly US $199. Not a bad price for solid wood with a pickup, but not what most of us think when we hear "Master Series."

That said, it's always nice to see anyone level up, at any price point! Better ukes for everyone!
It would be interesting to see what @Baz has to say about this "master series". Hope he's able to review one as it helps people choose ukes that will fit into their budget.

I tend to use guitartuna app on my phone to tune ukes. It's awesome and free.

This is an interesting comment.

It is the first time I can recall anyone suggesting buyers wait for Baz to give a new product the OK before considering buying it.

I think that if they are a good model, they wont last on the shelf for very long and will be sold out or on back order. So if you want to wait for someone else to tell you its OK, you may miss out or be waiting a long time. If you are truly interested I suggest finding a shop where you can try one out, either an on-line store with a return policy, or in a physical shop. However, I do not think you should get so excited that you buy one just because of FOMO.

It is also interesting how the UU experts want to define Master Series as some sort of product beyond the reach of most ukulele owners. The painted sopranos, the U30 model, may well have smashed open the ukulele market earlier in the century by being low cost and playable with a good set-up. The availability of these solid wood models for lower prices could smash open some market segments in 2023/4?
That's not what I meant, I just meant I'd like to see one reviewed as it's always interesting. Baz's reviews help people learn about ukes and guide purchases. I don't think anyone here has defined this uke series and "beyond the reach". Quite the contrary.

Wowza!! I’ve been gone a while because my hands make it hard for me to do much playing anymore. I just pulled out a cheap Mahalo Concert tonight and throughly enjoyed it. Some can be really good players. I wouldn’t mind trying one of the new ones.

Mahalo's QC standards have lifted immeasurably in the last decade.
when i think back to my first ever uke, a painted mahalo soprano that cost $25 - in 2006 -
the build was heavy and the sound not so great - but that uke still started my journey and i loved it for what it was.
i bought the same model uke again a month or so back - totally different. thinner top, better set up and intonation,
much better playability and sound.
i'm grateful that my local music shop stocks a wide range of Mahalo ukuleles and i can attest to the fact
that these improvements are across all their lines, including this master series.
i guess they had to go this way - w/ so many cheap makers arriving like mushrooms these past years,
they knew they had to improve their standards in order to compete. and they have.
for a low end, fun and playable instrument, i couldn't recommend the Mahalo lines more highly.

Indonesian Luthiers.

This is a video review for a Guitar builder in Bali, Indonesia. The instruments are the more expensive end of the market, but the video shows what Indonesians can do with wood and some design help. Mahalo instruments are at the other end of the market, but the designers and workers probably share the culture discussed in the video.

Note that Mary Spender is not your average Bali tourist, she has 690K subscribers and a long history of being an independent guitar person.

is that link to Blueberry, Bill?
...ok just clicked on and seen...
company is a Canadian one but yes, the builders are Indonesian. their work is immaculate and jawdropping.
they have many designs for ukes as well and can customise to buyers' requests

Maybe retro fit something like this

Wow thanks. Great to check intonation

I just roll my eyes. No slam on low end builders trying to up their game by building better ukes. But "Master Series", to me, has always meant mid-line builders like Pono, or high end K- brands who are offering something really special, with the best quality woods, made by their best luthiers, for a premium price. For a low end brand like Mahalo to offer something called a Master Series, just seems ridiculous to me. YMMV.

I just roll my eyes. No slam on low end builders trying to up their game by building better ukes. But "Master Series", to me, has always meant mid-line builders like Pono, or high end K- brands who are offering something really special, with the best quality woods, made by their best luthiers, for a premium price. For a low end brand like Mahalo to offer something called a Master Series, just seems ridiculous to me. YMMV.
Pono and Kala screaming elite don't do it for me either John. YMMV, yeah brother. i think that's true.

I have an open mind on the ukes;. It's just the naming convention that bugs me. I guess that's what marketuing is all about, and here we are talking about Mahalo ukes! Who knows, they could be excellent instruments. If they are, and demand is big, I'd expect them to be up into the $500.00 price range rather quickly.

Top Bottom