Cheap resonator upgrades

Joe Strummer

Reaction score
I read that most of the resonator sound comes from the cone. So, would it be possible to convert a Kala, Gretsch, Soundsmith, or etc into a much better instrument by replacing the cone? Are there other good options for cones besides National?

I'm not an expert but it's my understanding that a deeper cone will have a louder sound? If you buy a National cone it should come with a biscuit but you may have to use your old biscuit with some modifications or the national biscuit with some modifications. Sanding, trimming, hand fitting type of work. Before buying a new cone make sure you measure the diameter of the space the present cone fits in and make sure the new cone will fit in that space.

Strings would be the cheapest and easiest mod to make.

Nylon strings seem to provide more volume than fluorocarbons. I assume because they have more mass so they impart more energy to the cone.

Aquila and Bella make Nylon banjolele strings. I wonder how they would sound on a Resonator? :unsure:

I read that most of the resonator sound comes from the cone. So, would it be possible to convert a Kala, Gretsch, Soundsmith, or etc into a much better instrument by replacing the cone? Are there other good options for cones besides National?

I converted an Enya tenor into a resonator, but I didn't seek out the most expensive components. ;)

200.jpg

I converted an Enya tenor into a resonator, but I didn't seek out the most expensive components. ;)

View attachment 156709
Geez Jerry, if it wasn't for the rosette, I wouldn't have noticed that you had fitted a piece of Koa in the soundhole. It really blends beautifully. As it is, it looks like it's original to the design and build. Nice work.

Yes, replacing the cone can be done, and it's a serious upgrade, soundwise.

But do measure twice before ordering, and know that the cones are very delicate and basically a kind of very thick but pliable aluminium foil - so tune them while bringing up the string tension evenly across all strings.

I upgraded the cone in my Kala tenor resonator with a National uke cone kit.
The sound is VERY much improved.

The National uke cone kits cost around $70-$80: the cone is an exact fit (since the import cones are copies), but there is a lot of work involved trimming the saddle. (I don't know what it would cost to pay a pro do the work.)

I can't speak for other brands of cones, but there's a reason why they all copy National.

-Will

I decided to go a different route and ordered an Outdoor banjolele. It should have the extra volume and twang I was seeking.

Top Bottom