Show off your cheap ukes!

I teach beginners with this sometimes. It was under $40 when I got it maybe 5-6 years ago. Surprisingly, it plays and stays in tune and doesn’t sound bad. Of course, I don’t play it much past the fifth fret.

It’s great for stickers too!

Attachments

• IMG_1875.jpeg
    IMG_1875.jpeg
    113 KB · Views: 48
Over the weekend I scored a couple of new ukes. On the left is some generic, modern concert banjo uke. I got it for free off a local FB free stuff page that the CFO is on. Two tuners were fried and no bridge or backplate. I installed some new friction tuners and by some miracle I actually had an old bridge low enough so that everything is mostly in tune. I had no strings so I took them off another banjo uke, I was anxious to see if everything would turn out like I was hoping and it did.

On the right is a Maccaferri TV Pal that I found in a comic book store for $5. Unfortunately it is barely playable. The action is very low, almost too low. Eventually she’s going to go wall hanger on me but sounds just like other vintage plastic ukes.
IMG_5255.jpeg

I’ve had a few cheap ukes in the past, including my first which was a Hilo 2652. The worst uke I’ve had, but still inspired a lot of fun. I don’t have a photo of it.

My other three cheapies were the three on the left of the photo below: Aklot concert, Ohana PK-10 and a very cheap kit concert uke off of eBay. The Aklot and Ohana sounded fantastic actually.
91EB88AE-15CD-4995-8686-200CF0CCB298.jpeg

Here’s a better shot of the kit uke, which my parents now have. I need to figure out how to fix the intonation on it somehow, otherwise it has a decent tone. I kind of want to take it to a luthier because I spent a month’s effort on it and want it to be more playable, but I’m not sure what would be involved cost-wise.
CB8DF81B-E693-4125-BE04-01AD0681E2B3.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve had a few cheap ukes in the past, including my first which was a Hilo 2652. The worst uke I’ve had, but still inspired a lot of fun. I don’t have a photo of it.

My other three cheapies were the three on the left of the photo below: Aklot concert, Ohana PK-10 and a very cheap kit concert uke off of eBay. The Aklot and Ohana sounded fantastic actually.
View attachment 168103

Here’s a better shot of the kit uke, which my parents now have. I need to figure out how to fix the intonation on it somehow, otherwise it has a surprisingly decent tone. I kind of want to take it to a luthier because I spent a month’s effort on it and want it to be more playable, but I’m not sure what would be involved cost-wise.
View attachment 168105
I am interested in what you thought of the Aklot. I'd like to get a decent but very inexpensive concert uke

I am interested in what you thought of the Aklot. I'd like to get a decent but very inexpensive concert uke
It was actually a surprisingly good uke for the price. I had later bought a ukulele that was more than three times the cost and was disappointed it didn't sound as nice as the Aklot to my ears. I did have two Aklots at different points, both a soprano and a concert and both were great. The soprano had some sharp frets, but other than that I was pleased enough to recommend one to a friend and he liked his as well. Keep in mind the company says "solid mahogany" but it's only a solid top. Still, it's a very reasonable price for a solid top.

It was actually a surprisingly good uke for the price. I had later bought a ukulele that was more than three times the cost and was disappointed it didn't sound as nice as the Aklot to my ears. I did have two Aklots at different points, both a soprano and a concert and both were great. The soprano had some sharp frets, but other than that I was pleased enough to recommend one to a friend and he liked his as well. Keep in mind the company says "solid mahogany" but it's only a solid top. Still, it's a very reasonable price for a solid top.
Thanks so much for the review!

Enya HPL Pineapple Soprano @$58 with tax ($51 on sale plus "spring sale discount")

and

Enya HPL Tenor @$92 with tax ($85 on sale and with "spring sale discount")

I'm just going straight to a stock photo as it is 5 AM and I have been up when I shouldn't have been for a couple of hours now LOL! That is, however, my pineapple in my avatar to the left there. I just ordered the Tenor and it should be here this weekend. So I couldn't take a picture of it yet. And the Mini Coco I bought for my grandson is at my son's house, so ... stock photo again.

This is every version of the Enya HPL line:

Untitled.jpg

From left to right are the Pineapple soprano, soprano, tenor, concert

Mini coco, which is the same as their Mini U only in kiddy colors - $39 with some other kiddy instruments (but no gig bag or tuner) at Amazon

mini coco.jpg

I was babysitting my grandson last night and we played our ukes. Well, he plucked the strings on his once in awhile while telling me "MORE!" if I stopped playing mine LOL! At least I got plenty of practice. One of the tuners on his is loose, not sure exactly what the issue is but it probably needs to be replaced. I COULD send it back but I'd rather try to get a replacement tuner. No need for the whole thing to end up in a landfill before its time.

I haven't really compared the sound between the pineapple and my grandson's mini U, but I find both perfectly acceptable. Actually I'm VERY happy with my pineapple, and looking forward to getting my HPL Tenor.

This is my favourite cheap uke. I bought two; one for me and one for a friend. These little Aiersi Pineapples cost about £30 each (inc. p&p) direct from China. They arrived with decent strings and perfectly set up. The bodies are from High Pressure Laminate. Model no. SU-021P

They both play really well and sound much better than they have any right to!
2 x Aiersi SU-021P - 22-09-2020.jpg

Dug this out of my closet, a bit dusty. The cat was very intrigued.

Woodnote WK-700M

Goes for $90 at Walmart nowadays but it was much cheaper ($50 maybe?) when I got it years ago. Well, my mom got it for me so it was free to me! Had this for about 7 years now but never played consistently O-o

Edit: Found it on Amazon for $60!

Attachments

• IMG_4097.jpg
    IMG_4097.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 27
Dug this out of my closet, a bit dusty. The cat was very intrigued.

Woodnote WK-700M

Goes for $90 at Walmart nowadays but it was much cheaper ($50 maybe?) when I got it years ago. Well, my mom got it for me so it was free to me! Had this for about 7 years now but never played consistently O-o

Edit: Found it on Amazon for $60!
I'm particularly fond of the kitteh photobombing.

Well, this came up on a certain auction website, listed as an "Entry level instrument".

It's a Bruko no 3, made sometime between 1950-1970ish (in the 1970s they started branding them inside the soundhole). Solid maple, and in really good condition. £47.89 including postage. Even came with some acceptable quality (but knockoff) Aquila strings.

I bought it thinking I might sell it on, but it's so nice to have one again. These earlier ones have a slightly shorter scale length than most sopranos, I find them an absolute joy to play.

Attachments

• Bruko.jpg
    Bruko.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Love the burst on the neck. I think I’m going to make that my phone wallpaper.

Well, this came up on a certain auction website, listed as an "Entry level instrument".

It's a Bruko no 3, made sometime between 1950-1970ish (in the 1970s they started branding them inside the soundhole). Solid maple, and in really good condition. £47.89 including postage. Even came with some acceptable quality (but knockoff) Aquila strings.

I bought it thinking I might sell it on, but it's so nice to have one again. These earlier ones have a slightly shorter scale length than most sopranos, I find them an absolute joy to play.
awesome Chris!!! fantastic score mate! i have one too but it needs a total neck reset to make it playable unfortunately, an expense i just can't justify given it'd cost triple or more what i paid for it. this model has always been my favourite style Bruko, just so gorgeous they are eh. 🙂

if you do decide to sell her on, i will buy it in a heartbeat mate. cheers!

Top Bottom