Looks like the Lava U is discontinued. Amazon Canada blowing them out CHEAP

baconsalad

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Concert for 300 cad pesos (~$225usd) and tenor for 320 cad pesos (~$235usd). Many reviewers on youtube and all liked them more than me. I have the concert and I did not like the high action, silly proprietary strap (not-included NOR available), the absolutely stupid case, and cheezy effects. Still the sound (without the cheezy effects) is pleasant and build quality and tuners are great. The action and strap issue is fixable and at this price I'm tempted to get the tenor as I don't have a weather resistant beater tenor for around the campfire. If anyone is looking for something different or durable....

High action can easily be lowered, to me it's a non issue.

How much is it usually? Price tracker says it was previously $379 or is that wrong?

As a reviewer, the Lava wasn’t my favorite, for two reasons. First, the case was functionally useless (guaranteed to be scratched up and destroyed) and second it was just a darker sound than I prefer.

And you’re right…the whole proprietary strap situation was silly.

But it was a fun period of time where a bunch of polycarbonate ukuleles hit the market with some new technology.

If Lava is “selling” stock that is sitting, it may not mean they are out of business. But it does indicate that the instrument was too expensive than what is should have been. It should have been priced the same as the Enya Nova Pro with AcousticPlus.

Concert for 300 cad pesos (~$225usd) and tenor for 320 cad pesos (~$235usd). Many reviewers on youtube and all liked them more than me. I have the concert and I did not like the high action, silly proprietary strap (not-included NOR available), the absolutely stupid case, and cheezy effects. Still the sound (without the cheezy effects) is pleasant and build quality and tuners are great. The action and strap issue is fixable and at this price I'm tempted to get the tenor as I don't have a weather resistant beater tenor for around the campfire. If anyone is looking for something different or durable....
I bought one a few years ago, but it wouldn't turn on. So much for dealer prep! 😋 I returned it for a refund.

High action can easily be lowered, to me it's a non issue.
To an extent...I went and bought one. The string height at 12 is 3.9mm. Lava says their factory spec is 3-3.5mm. To take it down to my barely acceptable 2.5mm would mean shaving 2.6 mm from the saddle - and there is not 2.6mm of saddle available to shave. This one was clearly used too. Likely returned for this reason. Back it goes.

I almost bought one of these several months ago. They're interesting looking and unique enough to add to the stable but resisted the temptation.

In the “comments” section beneath Barry’s review, one reader remarked that it looks like a bedpan with a handle.

BTW, that was one of the most meticulous and exhaustive reviews I’ve ever read. Yeoman work, @bazmaz!
"Exhaustive", yes! I was exhausted after reading it! 😋 Baz always gives us the best reviews. Even though Amazon is offering it for $199, I'm going to resist. I have an Enya U that cost $79.

Top Bottom