Texture of Aquila Red- current version

M3Ukulele

Reaction score
First, let me say I really like Aquila Reds and what Mimmo is doing at Aquila. I will try Sugars on my next Strings by Mail order. They look interesting.

My question…..what is the texture of the most recent versions of Aquila Reds. I have high G set on my Tenor Fluke……and decided to try a single low g string. My year or two old REDS in high G have a smooth glossy feel. The low g is more Matt in finish and very rough texture! I suspect this guitar shop had OLD low g stock. Can anyone clarify.

the good news is I like the RED low g regardless of texture and it’s made my basic tenor fluke sound comp,Evelyn different in a very good way. When I order the Sugars, I’ll l get a set of high G Red and a couple of low G singles. Just curious for now,

FWIW, to date, the Sugars have been my favorite. Consistent projection in the upper registers. Great clarity. A bit squeaky at first, but it fades with playing. I was sold initially on the Martin Premiums, but a G string snapped when I put a uke in a gig bag and closed the bag. Reminded me of the problems I’ve had every time I’ve tried the Reds. They just don’t hold up, for me, anyway. (My go-to strings are Worths and Fremont Blacklines.)

The latest low G "reds" I've purchased are actually brownish. They are noticeably darker than the previous reds. The surface texture feels a bit smoother; less abrasive. They sound great and are stable. At tension, they measure .039" (old, red) and .038" (new, brown).

(The shiny neck is a Flight TUC55 in dGBE.)

Attachments

• IMG_1114.JPG
    IMG_1114.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 6
Thanks for replies. I also found breakage to start with on REDs and then with Carbon Black by Aquila. Carbon black were discontinued as Aquila now make these exclusive for Martin as their Premium strings. They may have changed formula, only Mimmo will really know, and it’s not important. What I learned on both these type of texture strings is that sharpe edges on nut, saddle, tuner holes etc were causing me issues. Once I legalized that and did a bit of a gradual stretch and correct sharp edges……. I had no problems.

NO question New Nylgut and Super Nylgut are more robust strings as an average comment. I would think Sugars would also fall into this category. I’m going to get a set of each soon to test my theory. I’ve wanted Sugars since they came out but wanted the “squeeking“ issues to work themselves out. I find we are all “experts” here on UU (LOL) so lots of opinions. As Baz say…….string are very personal so YMMV.

I too am a Flurocarbon player as a general rule. It’s great you mention your go to strings while commenting on sugars. My go to is Oasis brights but I like and use whatever fluro strings I can get when in between ordering.

Thanks for comment on texture on REDS. I will order full sets and some individual low g strings and follow up when I get my order. Regardless, I like the warm sounds of the low g RED so texture doesn’t both me compared to how smooth the and brighter Color the rest of the high G set is.

I like to support Aquila. They are always moving forward. The Price of their strings is great. They have a big variety of strings to choose from. Currently New Nylgut with wound low G on my TT and they sound great. Reds on my Fluke with Low g and it sounds great. It’s fun trying new strings

Top Bottom