Strings How to tune Aquila reds

Wildjoy

Reaction score
I put aquila reds on my soprano (reentrant). I followed Aquila's instructions regarding taking them out of the nut slot to tighten them. Now that they're on my uke and I'm just doing the "settling-in tuning" and then later, "normal" tuning, do they need any special care (taking them out of the slot) or do I just tune like I would any other string?

I've heard that prayer can help. ;)

From what I've read online, only the original iteration of the reds had issues related to that. Apparently they're made better than they used to be? But don't take my word 100%.

If you plan not to play that uke for an extended period, you might relax the tension a bit. Otherwise, treat them like any other strings.

I had a set once....for a little while.

I put aquila reds on my soprano (reentrant). I followed Aquila's instructions regarding taking them out of the nut slot to tighten them. Now that they're on my uke and I'm just doing the "settling-in tuning" and then later, "normal" tuning, do they need any special care (taking them out of the slot) or do I just tune like I would any other string?
I find Reds to be rougher textured than most other nylon or fluorocarbon strings and larger diameter than fluorocarbon, so I'm careful that the nut slots are wide enough for them to slip through without binding. After proving the fit and slowly bringing them up to tune, I treat them like any other string. They're on several of my ukes, and I like them a lot. Hope they work out well for you.

I believe Mimmo Peruffo, the owner of Aquila, posted something about Reds a year or so ago.

Basically that you have to bring them up to tune very slowly. Giving them plenty of time to stretch out over the course of several hours.

I have them on my Martin OXK (HPL) concert. Re-entrant. They’re an interesting string (and I had trouble keep the A string from snapping several times before).

I had zero luck bringing forward the high end of this midrange-heavy uke with many string types, so I gave the reds a try from sheer desperation. They really did the job. The uke sounds balanced as never before.

i usually play it at our uke club meetings, with another in reserve as a potential loaner. This past week, a new player had a geared tuner fail and I let her borrow the Martin. She loved the feel of the strings. Another member, who uses linear tuning, has played with nothing but these for several years. His main uke is cedar-topped, and he loves them because he says they mellow the normally bright sound.

Go figure!

The next trick may be trying them on a dark-sounding soprano.

Last edited:
Tried them once... too much trouble!

Like a high maintenance but great looking romantic partner... beautiful but just so much work! And then they "break" up with you...

I see he holds the string up above or to the side of the nut slot as he stretches it. That way the string isn’t being pulled thru the slot as it stretches.
Yes the nut slot is the killer for these strings if it's just a little sharp or too small.

Great sound, but you'll need lots of patience tuning them until they hold. They take forever to stretch.

Great sound, but you'll need lots of patience tuning them until they hold. They take forever to stretch.
Really? What's forever? I found they only need a little tweaking after the first week or so. I mean, they may not stay perfectly in tune from practice for practice for a while after that, but they're not horribly out of tune (or weren't for me) after the first week-ish, and I wasn't having to retune them during practice.

I have not had the troubles everyone is speaking about. Make sure your nuts slots fit the strings appropriately and you are good to go. They have really made a difference on ukuleles that I had given up on. They will drive a top that seems lifeless, and they can also feel like they overdrive some ukuleles but in/on the ukulele they fit with they are sublime. Each ukulele has its own string preference, it may take some time to find what each one sounds the best with. So worth experimenting.

Top Bottom