Strings Aquila Gut Strings

ukeclass

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Has anyone tested out the soprano only-gut strings from Aquila? I think I might like to try them out on my vintage HF-1D.

Yes indeed. There's a set on my Ken Timms soprano at the moment. In the past I've used the Clifford Essex guts which have a water-resistant coating: the Aquila probably edge them out in terms of texture and tone, but both are good.

For my preferences (I love the sound of a mahogany soprano playing popular music from the Twenties), despite the drawbacks of low durability, temperature and humidity sensitivity, and high price, I think they're probably the best strings on the market. Given those drawbacks, however, I'd hesitate to casually recommend them.

Yes indeed. There's a set on my Ken Timms soprano at the moment. In the past I've used the Clifford Essex guts which have a water-resistant coating: the Aquila probably edge them out in terms of texture and tone, but both are good.

For my preferences (I love the sound of a mahogany soprano playing popular music from the Twenties), despite the drawbacks of low durability, temperature and humidity sensitivity, and high price, I think they're probably the best strings on the market. Given those drawbacks, however, I'd hesitate to casually recommend them.
Unfortunately, gut strings always have drawbacks compared to their modern counterparts. But I think that a set of 4 strings is way more manageable than the full 3rd-5th octaves on a Lyon and Healy pedal harp that all require gut strings at a price of over $300. But I'm glad that there are some very positive sounds coming out of your Ken Timms!

I get squeak sounds when strumming on Aquilas & Nyltechs, even more so on Sugars, prob due to dry skin on right strumming hand. I try to deal with that by moisturizing (which I hate having to do, never have that problem on flouros). Can you tell me about the texture of the Aquila gut strings...is it a similar texture as Nylgut/Nyltech, where I would expect squeaks, or smoother and quieter like flouro?

Can you tell me about the texture of the Aquila gut strings
In terms of texture they're rather closer to Aquila Reds, with a dry, papery feel to them. You may well hear some noise from your skin on the strings but it won't be squeaks.

In terms of texture they're rather closer to Aquila Reds, with a dry, papery feel to them. You may well hear some noise from your skin on the strings but it won't be squeaks.
That sounds about right for a gut texture (comparing them to a harp string)

Always wanted to try these, just ordered a set off of Reverb for $13.50 + shipping...less than $20 all told. I'm interested in hearing how they sound. Thanks for bringing it up.

I have gut strings (not Aquila) on one of my harps and love the sound and feel of them. However, they definitely are more sensitive to changes in humidity than nylon or fluorocarbon, so you need to like tuning strings. Sometimes it feels like I spend more time tuning the 36 strings on my harp than I do playing them. :) Of course, most ukuleles only have four strings, so tuning is a breeze by comparison.

You can oil gut strings, which extends lifespan and reduces their 'grippiness'. Almond oil is considered to be good for doing so, and you need very little of it.

If you do a search for "gut string oil," some companies also sell their own blend of oil to treat them.

Always wanted to try these, just ordered a set off of Reverb for $13.50 + shipping...less than $20 all told. I'm interested in hearing how they sound. Thanks for bringing it up.
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on these

I have gut strings (not Aquila) on one of my harps and love the sound and feel of them. However, they definitely are more sensitive to changes in humidity than nylon or fluorocarbon, so you need to like tuning strings. Sometimes it feels like I spend more time tuning the 36 strings on my harp than I do playing them. :) Of course, most ukuleles only have four strings, so tuning is a breeze by comparison.
36...Lyon and Healy Troubadour?

As a former lute player, I feel you pain!

Top Bottom