Sound hole straps

bsfloyd

Reaction score
Sorry for possibly starting another ukulele strap thread - but I am wanting to find a non-destructive, non-marring sound hole strap. I see there are many out there, some name brands and some off the cuff brands, but it looks like the D’Addario Eco Comfort sound hole strap might be a safe option. Any others I need to know about? This is for soprano instruments. Thanks.

I had one once, but found it much like Lucinda's song...Can't Let Go. Plus, wouldn't want beads or even plastic covered metal anywhere near my ukes body or soundhole.

I bought a cheap one but found that the plastic hook was too high, so I hit it sometimes. It never felt really safe, as you tend to forget that the strap is in the soundhole, so you let go of the ukulele, f.x. when changing page and then the ukulele tumbles down.

I just installed some really nice ebony buttons from violins, so they are nice and small.

AM-JKLWdCTLUCNtUmp6gAWenbO51Mjq8V0I6CM7Z8DvyvAE4WVDroUI8EKF7vli7eH-2ChZKb4hHfb85RzCdlnR0OizVe3ZmR0xHuVwPR3KtV4NiHjnU9jI6uUmtRIE3iPKRajwWCf5nN7DlZpN4nJb0AqM6=w1558-h757-no

Thanks for the replies everyone! - and confirming my findings. I will give this strap a go.

Great idea on the violin endpins, Poul! Those would actually be a nice smaller size for soprano. Did you have to use a tapered reamer for this?

Thanks for the replies everyone! - and confirming my findings. I will give this strap a go.

Great idea on the violin endpins, Poul! Those would actually be a nice smaller size for soprano. Did you have to use a tapered reamer for this?
Yes I didn't want the big guitar buttons and yes I used a reamer but also glued it in. I bought the reamer cheaply on Aliexpress.

If you don't mind a visible screw, I bought these ebony buttons on ebay and aged the brass screw.

It IS small but the ukulele is a small thinline.2022-04-09 12.42.35.jpg

To unclutter the head attachment and also be able to use any strap I use a headstrap, either bought or selfmade. I used 1mm Dyneema(will hold 95 kg! ) and any clothes button.2022-04-09 12.52.19.jpg

I you REALLY don't want buttons and straps on your ukulele, here is an alternative way of holding it secure ;-)105ec9bd-09a0-4e92-a67b-8a53d9b73224.jpg

Thanks for the info, Poul! I really like the violin endpin idea. I am never opposed to a tie of some sort at the headstock. I remember a maker (Bob Colosi) that makes endpins and strap buttons (along with saddles, nuts, bridge pins, and plectrums) from bone and horn materials. His work is top notch (purchased some saddles, bridge pins, and picks for guitar from him in the past) and I’m curious if he can make some endpins in smaller sizes. I will have to find out.

Also, loved that last photo - classic! Perhaps a bit of an awkward playing position for me though, lol

Top Bottom