Sound hole size on Uke

Mystic

Reaction score
Hello....making 2nd concert uke and the plans call for 2 1/8 inch sound hole....by the time I got it rounded mine may be up to 1/8th of an inch larger....willl this be a problem. Should I remake the top? (top is cedar)

Regards

Mysic

Thank you...didn't want to have to redo!

Uke sound holes can be so different, it really will not have an effect.

It will make a bigger difference than most of you think. I guess it will raise the body resonance by around a semitone. That is unlikely however to be noticeable in the timbre of the instrument and as most have pointed out it is within the normal variations you see in sound hole size.

It's about the ratio of the volume of the box compared to the size of the sound hole. Without knowing the volume can't tell if you moved a slight bit closer to the sweetest spot for that particular instrument ( to your ear) or a slight bit further away. But then all other factors will play into the equation, bracing, top thickness, strings, the players style etc. So basically what others have said, don't worry about it. You are likely close enough and may even have hit a sweeter spot.

Too small a sound hole and they tend to bark if played aggressively however if fingerpicking a smaller hole can sound really good at least to my power tool damaged ears. Too large a hole and they can sound thin.

Top Bottom