SOTU 617: Bells And Whistles

Others have already covered the first two movie "Whistle" songs I thought of: "Whistle While You Work" and "Give a Little Whistle".

So about, "Whistle a Happy Tune" from The King and I?

Here's a closeup of what I didn't realize was happening behind me while I was making it. (You can see it happening behind my ukulele headstock if you zoom in.)

I know kangaroos and wallabies box, I've seen it in videos. This is the first time I've seen it live, in my own backyard!

(Also, if you look closely, I'm wearing the three pins John @One Man And His Uke sent me from Season 611. Thanks, John!)

Hi everyone and thanks for hosting Sabine.
I thought that the harmonics of the ukulele could be very similar to small bells and so I decided to offer you a song by Genesis from 1972 entitled Horizons, where there are really quite a few harmonics.
I hope you like it, greetings everyone

Any song you like, but with additional frills: whistling on the intro, outro...

The PLAYLIST

(Intro-Whistling)
G Cadd9…
(Verse 1)
Lay back, reach out, look up to the sky
Let the rain wash the tears from your eyes
Troubles will come with sorrow and pain
Wait out the storm or dance in the rain

(Chorus)D C… G
Some see hard times all through life
Seems like it follows nobody knows why
Always alone with no company
There goes the black sheep… of the family

(Verse 2)
Maybe you need somebody to hold
Warm by the fire on a night too cold
Take those mistakes and leave them behind
Forward too fast but we can’t rewind

(Chorus)

(Verse 3)
Nevermind sorrow, nevermind pain
Matter of fact enjoy the rain
Hold on tight to what you believe
Walk the broken path of the black sheep

(Chorus)

G Cadd9…
(Outro - Whistling)

This one mentions a bell, which should quality for option #1.

Also there is plenty of whistling, so it will qualify for option #2 :)

Reading the first post again:
Isnt option 3 just applying option 1 or 2 to a Christmas song? Well, this is not a Christmas song, so I can post it without being new, Yay 🙂

Last edited:
Maggie and I went for a car ride and the radio was in a Christmas mood, but Maggie pointed out that songs like Jingle Bells, although they are associated with Christmas these days, don't mention the holidays. It's just a winter, snowy day song. There are other songs like that:
Sleigh Ride - " Just hear those sleigh bells jingling, ring ting tingling too"
Winter Wonderland - "Sleigh bells ring, are you listening? In the lane, snow is glistening"

Would these be allowed?
Hi Jim,
I will accept them once we can start posting songs for Season 618, since that one is for the Seasonal Holiday songs. Start practising them now!

This one mentions a bell, which should quality for option #1.

Also there is plenty of whistling, so it will qualify for option #2 :)

Reading the first post again:
Isnt option 3 just applying option 1 or 2 to a Christmas song? Well, this is not a Christmas song, so I can post it without being new, Yay 🙂

Yes, to clarify option 3: there are a lot of Christmas songs (or associated with the winter holidays) that mention bells. I would like to keep these songs for the coming week, which is reserved for Seasonal Songs. On overlapping Sunday, feel free to post your Christmas songs if they mention the mandatory bells (or whistles).
However, if any UU members wish to make their SOTU debut this week, they are welcome to post their Jingle Bells any day this week. If anyone wants to try out the Seasons, then I want to encourage them.

Here's the daily summary of the new contributions, of which there were seven today. Thank you all very much for sharing your music with all of us.

Joo kicked us of with a bit of Disney and she encourages you all to Give A Little Whistle. Who am I to disagree?
Wendy also was back with Whistle A Happy Tune from the musical The King And I, with the local wildlife livening it up.
Ale treated us to a wonderful instrumental Horizons by Genesis, and he invoked the bells via lots of harmonics.
Rob brought a fabulous whistle solo on the outro of What A Day For A Daydream.
Brian (pabrizzer) wrote an original instrumental How Can I Sleep for which he dug out his low D whistle. The result is a very relaxing song, and I'm sure I will sleep well tonight.
And there is more original work on the playlist, as StoneyRun also put his lyrics to a tune, added a groove and whistling on the intro and the outro. Listen to The Black Sheep and groove along with him.
The last song for today Winchester Cathedral was brought by Mikkel. He brought bells, whistling, superb vocals and a nice little bit of picking on the outro.

The playlist is now 26 songs long, and I hope that there may be some more tomorrow.
Thanks for listening and commenting everyone!

Reactions: joo
"Bells", by Leroy Shield, incidental music from the original "Our Gang/Little Rascals" short movies. My arrangement, for tenor and concert ukuleles, bass (off camera), synthesized bell, and whistling.

So I finally got Covid... I'm lucky it's been fairly mild, but today was the first I've felt up to playing music in four days.

Thanks for hosting, Sabine!

Last edited:
I have a frequent YouTube commenter who always wants more cowbell. Well, baby ... ring my cowbell.

Here's "Ring My Bell" by Anita Ward, performed by the sexiest cow avatar I could find on Zoom, accompanied by the Pro Metronome iPhone app, cowbell tone, 1/4 time, 124 bpm.

Come on, baby ... ring my bell.

Hello again, Sabine! I found this VERY silly song yesterday ... never heard it before. It features a woman who is somewhat careless with her use of firearms, but gets her comeuppance in the end. The whistle involved is that of a London policeman ... which is rather odd as the whole story takes place in the Wild West! There is a gratuitous appearance from Seamus - "sans" collar with bell - as he flashes past me up the stairs. (GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: This is rather noisy!)

Last edited:
"I Love To Whistle" (1938) by Jimmy McHugh and Harold Adamson. This was a hit of Deanna Durbin, and in less than a year the versions were recorded by local artists in many European countries. Here is the proof that I cannot whistle, yodel or blow nose flute:

With apologies for posting two songs in a short time (I don't have much time this week), here's a jug band style song I wrote.

[A7] Ian Fleming once opined,
[D7] That all gay men, he did find,
[G7] Not a single one of them
[C] could whistle [descending notes C, C, B, Bb on A string]
[A7] Then again he also said,
[D7] In a book, not just his head
[G7] The Man with the Golden Gun, he had
[C] three nipples [descending notes: C,C, B, Bb on A string]

Chorus:
[A7] Danny won’t you teach me how to [D7] whistle?
[G7] Danny won’t you teach me how to [C] whistle? [descending notes]
[A7] Should I suck or should I blow?
[D7] Tell me where my tongue should go.
[G7] Danny won’t you teach me how to [C] whistle? [descending notes]

[A7] I can whistle, but not well
[D7] From that you can surely tell
[G7] I wish that I had a better
[C] whistle [descending notes]
[A7] About this I once asked my ex
[D7] She told me I’m just bad at sex
[G7] I still miss her, now I barely
[C] whistle [descending notes]

Chorus

Whistle through half verse badly

[A7] My friend Daniel, he’s just swell.
[D7] He’s a hit with all the girls.
[G7] Every woman in town, she loves
[C] His whistle [descending notes]
[A7] He can always hit the note
[D7] Such sweet highs and mellow lows
[G7] Every woman in town, she loves
[C] His whistle [descending notes]

Chorus, possibly repeated, end on [C7] after descending notes.

Last edited:
About 10 seconds in, I suddenly remembered our host had specifically said no Christmas songs... I was in too deep at that point to turn back...

About 10 seconds in, I suddenly remembered our host had specifically said no Christmas songs... I was in too deep at that point to turn back...

It’s a pity you didn’t wear the Santa beard as well as hat and top. Then you’d be in perfect disguise, and could have pretended to be a new seasonista. ;)

Hello folks.

Sorry, I have been properly busy this week. I have been asked to do song at an actual gig tomorrow, and about ten sets of chords for a music evening next week. It's taken over my musical life this week!

Here's "Dream a Little Dream of Me" with a bit of whistling at the end.

Top Bottom