SOTU 617: Bells And Whistles

Ms Bean

Reaction score
Welcome to Season 617.
The title speaks for itself: I hope you can bring me a song with a bell and/or a whistle. This can be a door- or bicycle bell, cowbells, carillon, sports or train whistle etc. Digital sound effects are okay too. You don't have to borrow an old school bell if you can't whistle.

Unless you're new to the Seasons, please do not post Christmas songs, but add your sleigh bells to a song about magic and post it to both Season 616 and 617!

Most of the following summary is borrowed from Edwin's opening post.
Option 1: Songs about bells or whistles
Option 2: Any song you like, but with additional frills: whistling on the intro, outro, break, or a verse; or acoustic or digital bells and whistles.
Option 3 (new Seasonistas only): Christmas songs accepted. If the lyrics don't mention the required bells or whistles, make sure you add them.

Other rules as usual (see the Seasons of the Ukulele FAQ if you don't know what that means)

New videos only please (with the usual exemptions), posted on YouTube so that they can be added to the playlist, and please say either in the video or description that it's for Seasons of the Ukulele 617. It'd also be really nice to put a link to this post so that people who stumble on your video on youtube know what we're up to.

Please, do not post more than 8 videos. The end of the week is just as good as the beginning, if you ask me. However, if spreading your entries out doesn't work for you, then post them when and as you can.

Originals, multitracking and collaborations are more than welcome.

I would like to ask that you include the songwriters or performers in your post if you do not want to include the information in the YouTube description. Every week I hear a lot of new music on the Seasons, and it's nice to know the name of the song, band and composers if I want to check out other versions.

Don't forget to listen to and comment on other songs too! It's very inspiring to hear and see the different playing styles and techniques. Let people know how awesome they are!

You can post any time from 00:00:00 Sunday 10th December, Hawaiian time, right up to 23:59:59 on Sunday 17th December Hawaiian time.
The PLAYLIST will appear here once the first songs roll in.

Last edited:
Ooh, I've got a bona fide Acme whistle somewhere; it would be fun to incorporate it in, er ... something! In fact, I can't sing at the moment - the after effects of a cold - so perhaps bells and whistles would make a useful substitute. Clever idea and title, Sabine!

Ooh, I've got a bona fide Acme whistle somewhere; it would be fun to incorporate it in, er ... something! In fact, I can't sing at the moment - the after effects of a cold - so perhaps bells and whistles would make a useful substitute. Clever idea and title, Sabine!
Val you should probably bell that cat of yours that is wiping out all the native Rodents Francais. Then again I may just be whistling in the dark.

Val you should probably bell that cat of yours that is wiping out all the native Rodents Francais. Then again I may just be whistling in the dark.
I have read that it's rather cruel to put collars with bells round cats' necks (I mean it must be like tinnitus for cats!) The alternative seems to be that an "unalarmed" Seamus is more than rather cruel to "Les Rodents Francais." It is a moral quandary! Of course, I suppose I could - for the purposes of this week - put a collar on Seamus and shake him in time to the music.

Facebook just fed me this:

0B502078-8EBD-4219-86AA-3DDD95231428.jpeg

Whistle While You Work Frank Churchill & Larry Morey - 1937 from SNOW WHITE

This'll be a fun Season Sabine. Thanks for being our host this week. A few years back, taking a cue from Jazz musician Roland Kirk, I bought an ACME Siren Whistle to kick off solos in our jug band. (I wonder if Wiley Coyote ever owned one of these. They're deadly.)
This is the first song that popped into my head when I read your topic.

Whistle While You Work Frank Churchill & Larry Morey - 1937 from SNOW WHITE

This'll be a fun Season Sabine. Thanks for being our host this week. A few years back, taking a cue from Jazz musician Roland Kirk, I bought an ACME Siren Whistle to kick off solos in our jug band. (I wonder if Wiley Coyote ever owned one of these. They're deadly.)
This is the first song that popped into my head when I read your topic.

IMG_20231210_155717.jpg

Thanks for the early videos, gentlemen! After 11 hours we have the following brilliant entries:

Brian (pabrizzer) opens the playlist with his original 'All The Bells And Whistles', a very enjoyable listen, great lyrics and superb delivery.
John (Flatbaroque) follows up with more Australian goodies, with a composition by Paul Kelly (who I best remember from Brian's Australian Season). The bells in the title/lyrics are joined by harmonica and uke, so there's everything we need.
Joo wrote original lyrics, painted her amazing artwork and composed a song in which she used a bicycle bell. It (b)rings everything nicely together!.
Canada Jim sings about whistling, adds a lovely bit of whistling and bookends it all with his Acme Siren Whistle.
Graham shares his outstanding version of the Who's Pinball Wizard, and I'm really happy that in these hectic December days, he had a moment to spare and record this one for all of us. It has bells for me and the wizard for Edwin, so that makes two happy hosts.
Alan came over to ring our front door bell, and he also made the song his own with a great bit of whistling.

Give them all a listen, you'll surely be impressed with all their talent. It's time for me to turn in, but I'll be back tomorrow!

I, for one, have been looking forward to some Cloverdale-style whistling...

Reactions: TCK
Thanks for hosting Sabine.
All the best to everyone for the upcoming season.
"Can't hear no buzzers or bells" hopefully qualifies this Who song for the season.

I'm absolutely INSANE for this arrangement!! It's almost like mid-60s Paul Simon! I can imagine it as a b-side to Homeward Bound or something.

Especially impressive the way you brought out the end-of-chorus riff with your picking! All together, this is one of my favorite videos ever posted here!

This is my entry for 616, but I saw your prompt for this season and thought it would actually work nicely if I added some bells to the chorus. I also wasn't going to use the school bell alarm in the start of the original music video, but ended up including it on here as a nod to Season 617. That said, that felt a little like a cop out so I made sure to use some the effect "Tinklebell" in a musical sense to justify the double post. I had this happen 4 times in the chorus, but decided to only use it twice.

I would have finished last night but I decided to add some strings to the interlude.

Top Bottom