SOTU 609 ... FOOD, GLORIOUS FOOD!

GET A LOAD OF THIS - Robert Armstrong & Allan Dodge (Thanks to Edwin for finding the proper songwriters' credit for me)

Robert Armstrong and Alan Dodge are members of The Cheap Suit Serenaders and it was from their recording that I learned this song, I sang it at today's Zoom open mic and realised that it would work for Season 609 as well, so here goes.

I'm sure that this song was inspired by Keep it Clean by Charley Jordan!

Last edited:
My YouTube friend Bea Bee requested a Christine Lavin song. Here's one of my favorite food songs ever. Christine is another fab and funny musician you should know if you don't already. Plus she's one of the nicest people on the planet.

Time for some "Cold Pizza for Breakfast". (Well, okay, as you can see, breakfast is still a few hours away.)

Wonderful Wendy! I mighta known you'd be a Christine fan. Maggie and I have been fans for over 3 decades.
Here's a photo of Maggie and Christine taken 34 years ago at the Winnipeg Folk Festival. Maggie was 36 and Christine was 37; both born in 1952.
christine & maggie.jpg

And another from 4 years ago in Toronto at Hugh's Room, now both senior citizens:
Christine & Maggie 2019.jpg

Maggie sang Christine's song about Prince Charles at a festival in the nineties, no longer appropriate:

Charles, Prince Charles, Do you have a last name?
I was gonna ask you that on our first date
Forget it; things have changed.

I also have had the honour of singing in her Sensitive New Age Guys Choir.

Last edited:

Keep My Skillet Good And Greasy

Here's an old timey song that I learned from a kid that I played music with at Parkside High School, Gary Smith. I've since heard versions done by many people - Doc Watson, Pete Seeger, Woody Guthrie, every bluegrass or old time band ever. . .
The sticker from my banjo case makes a perfect cover for this song.​

Last edited:
Wonderful Wendy! I mighta known you'd be a Christine fan. Maggie and I have been fans for over 3 decades.
Here's a photo of Maggie and Christine taken 34 years ago at the Winnipeg Folk Festival:
View attachment 159966

And another from 4 years ago in Toronto at Hugh's Room:
View attachment 159967

Maggie sang her song about Prince Charles at a festival in the nineties, no longer appropriate:

I wrote a king's coronation poem. It mentions biscuits.

Here's a photo of Maggie and Christine taken 34 years ago at the Winnipeg Folk Festival:
View attachment 159966

And another from 4 years ago in Toronto at Hugh's Room:
View attachment 159967

Maggie sang her song about Prince Charles at a festival in the nineties, no longer appropriate:

Ditto, Jim - I feel like I should have guessed this about you too!

I first learned of Christine in the early '80s, when someone I knew made me a cassette tape off her first two albums. I loved every song on that tape and treasured it for decades. In the mid-'90s after returning from my first time living in Australia, I began frequenting the Folk Project in northern New Jersey. Christine lives in New York City, so she's a frequent performer in that area, and I saw her many times, in NJ, at festivals, and at music conferences when, later on, I became a business coach for musicians.

(Also, BERNI! - if you're listening ... Sonya Heller was a client of mine! Please tell her Wendy says hello!)

And, Jim, of course you are a Sensitive New Age Guy ... I would expect no less!!!

A rather belated "Bonjour" from a grey and miserable France, which is even more miserable this morning since, last night in Paris, England was knocked out of the Rugby World Cup. But they played magnificently against South Africa and lost by only one point! (Mutter, mutter, mutter from the US contingent ... what IS this woman talking about????) However, life must go on and we need food to survive, so please ... feed me!!!

il_fullxfull.3573596784_nfr8.jpg

I love it when two of the songs I most wanted to do for the outgoing Season and haven't gotten to yet are also a good fit for the new Season.

Here's another by Weird Al Yankovic, "Lasagna" (parody of "La Bamba").
This one is basically the Italian version of "Eat It", the other Weird Al song I did at the beginning of the week.

Bonus cockatoo visit / accompaniment with ad lib silliness.

Well I rarely do more than one for a Season, but I played this at yesterday's online open mic, and Wendy insisted that I record it for Season 609, so here you go.

"Savoy Truffle" by George Harrison, for concert ukulele with singing and whistling, with overdubs of Ashbory Ubass, secondary vocal, and the Wilhelm Scream : )

I apologize I've not been able to listen to much of this Season's offerings... I will try to do so this evening. Thanks again for hosting, Val!

Last edited:
When I heard that band names with food in them would fit the theme, I wanted to play "Bill's Mandolin" by Psychedelic P-orn Crumpets. But that took too long to learn, so here's a Jimmy Buffett song instead.

Hi, Jim! I think you're one take did very well; thank you, Sir! (For some reason I can't comment on YT!)

While researching for this I found Robs version.
I hoped he wouldnt remember it, so I could be first, but he remembered :LOL:

Anyway, here it is.

Clawhammer is difficult, and remembering lyrics while playing is difficultier. I had to edit out a blooper.

A traditional song from French Flanders. It's about a man looking around to find folks to make love to. It mentions meat and fish, a glass and a jug with an alcoholic drink. It also mentions Manneken Pis, the tiny, famous statue in Brussels.

Top Bottom