SOTU 609 ... FOOD, GLORIOUS FOOD!

LimousinLil

Reaction score
Bonsoir, Chers Seasonistas! My apologies for posting slightly early, but the Ireland v. New Zealand match has just started! Please watch the attached video, which, hopefully, will explain all! More details to follow later ... please have fun; THAT IS AN ORDER! Meanwhile, remember that Denise's fabulously creative Season still has nearly two days to go ... plenty of time to get out your brushes or your ballet shoes.
Bands with food-related names .... https://www.thecavanproject.com/bands-with-food-in-their-name/

STOP PRESS: A SPECIAL TASTER DISH WILL BE AVAILABLE TO NEWCOMERS HERE! (If this is your first time on The Seasons, then you may bring any song that you like - perhaps something that you've been working on - it doesn't have to be about food!)

(P.S. I just had to edit my introduction on YouTube because I mentioned that newcomers should come and join us if they were feeling "slightly peckish" ... English-speak for hungry! This obviously offended the delicate sensibilities of the "Powers That Be" ... what IS the matter with these people!!!!)
SOMETHING WEIRD HAS HAPPENED TO MY COMPUTER ... CURRENTLY, THE ONLY WAY TO ACCESS THE PLAYLIST IS THROUGH JIM'S VIDEO; HEREWITH:

Last edited:
No apologies needed for posting early. Early is great for us here in it's-already-Sunday-land. Nice to wake up for the Seasonista open mic to find the new theme is already up. Much appreciated! Looks like a fun theme. 💕

I thought of this Tom Wait's song for Denise's season as it references Edward Hopper's " Nighthawks at the Diner "...famous painting most will know. I didn't get a chance to work on it till today.. coming up with some jazzy chords by trial and error. I'll just post for Val's season even though I guess I could post in both. One of my favourite things with the uke is it is possible to get an authentic jazz sound a bit easier than guitar....for me anyway. Thanks Val you are a stalwart of the best kind!

Thanks so much for hosting again, Val!

a silly throwaway song....about some things people eat that are not food.
I remember watching this series (on TV) on people's addictions...mostly about the strange things they ingest, from broken glass to cigarette ash, from papers to oil paints....Actually, a friend in art school always ate some oil paints...she liked Gamboge yellow especially....she said it looked "delicious".

words:
she eats food!
she eats food!
she eats anything, actually...
crayons and wrapping papers,
oil paints but only some colours,
broken glass, cigarette ash....
she likes munching on egg shells.
She nibbles pages of mystery novels
and 100 Facts You Need To Know!
But those are less palatable as they are printed on glossy papers.
She has a fetish for biting her own hair but she doesn't swallow them.
She is weird ~she eats things.
She is weird ~she eat things.

I posted this on Season 608 too....

"Paul Cezanne" - the father of cubism ... from a most excellent and criminally underrated band called Five Chinese Brothers.

I've been working on this one for 608. It fits here too, because it mentions some foods in Cezanne's paintings that look like things that are not food.

I wanted to make my video look as close to a cubist painting as I could, so I recorded on Zoom on my Mac using one of their provided backgrounds plus one of their filters. It was easy to record and quick to upload this way (much quicker than from a recording made on the iPhone camera, even though I AirDrop'd the Zoom-recorded video to the phone and edited and uploaded from there in my usual way).

If anybody can recommend a good iPhone camera app with a better range of effects than Zoom offers, I'd be much obliged.

Hi again Val!
It's been 25 minutes! Time for my second song! :---)

When I saw your theme I thought of that song The Purple People Eater which seemed pretty popular on the Seasons over the years.....
And I made this up...
Words:
Anthocyanin (X4)
plums, berries, aurbergine, beetroot, red onions, ta-ro,
and all other purple things that have -
Anthocyanin! (X2)

purple potato, purple carrots, purple cauliflower, purple cabbage, purple kale, purple sweet potato, purple asparagus, purple brussels sprouts -
you can also try purple dragon fruit, although it's not really purple....
Anthocyanin!(don't eat the purple people)
Anthocyanin!

I played my Valencia VC350 guitalele.

EDIT: this is how purple colour dragon fruit looks like...not sure if you can get them in France... I love them. The ones with white flesh are nice too.
purple dragon fruit.jpg

Last edited:
The morals and ethics of eating food... not really. A WeeOriginal written in response to the ever changing diets of the Vegetable police... who has been a high fat vegan, one meal a day, a juice faster, a dry faster, and for a short period a raw meat carnivore. At the moment he is on the ketogenic path. He is more of a comedian than a health guru who want teenage girl skin.

Them fruitarian got a knife and a gun
They will stab me if I stand shoot me if I run
How dare they, ask me to do what they say
How dare they treat me this way
I went on a one meal a day diet and I must confess
Though it cleaned my insides out my face was a mess
How dare they how dare they
How dare my diet treat me this way
I felt my best when my diet was high fat
But the acne on my face put a stop to that
A girl who was bananas told me to eat thirty a day
I could never maintain it, what more can I say
I was getting so tired I tried the water only fast
But I lost all of my muscle so that didn’t last
I’ve given up on Rose, I’ve given up on Morse
I’ve decided the way forward is to eat like a horse

And one from your Host! Actually, I wasn't going to do anything today as I am deathly ill ... I had a Covid jab at the end of last week and have been feeling a bit "off" ever since; apparently it shouldn't last longer than a week! Anyway, I found this song yesterday and it is very short - or, at least, my version is. I bring you Popeye's anthem ...

Hello Val! I have a song here that I wrote a few weeks ago in which I go shopping and buying all kinds of foodstuffs.

This song is, like most of my songs, silly on the surface. But I usually have something a bit deeper in mind if you go digging... I definitely do here.

Frim Fram Sauce - Redd Evans & Joe Ricardel - 1945

Except for in this song I've never tasted nor heard of frim fram sauce, ossenfay nor shifafa, and apparently neither has Spellcheck, because there's a wiggly red line under all three items.
If I ever see it on a menu, you can bet I'll order it.

I played this at our Saturday Open Mic about a year ago and Chris Fonda said, "Now if you don't have it, Just bring me the check for the water," which told me that he had heard Nat King Cole's version of this song since this is his tag line. I figured Chris would know it.

Bonjour, One and All! (I have decided that "Bonjour" covers virtually all of the day, whichever time zone you're in.) Thank you so much to all our Customers, we already have a fine selection of dishes from which to choose ... and they have all been added to the Playlist. The kitchen staff have asked me for prior notice if they have requests for unusual dishes, such as Jim's "Frim Fram Sauce" as it might be necessary to send out for special ingredients. They are, however, standing by, ready to serve up whatever might be on today's menu and are waiting eagerly for your suggestions!

images (2).jpeg

Last edited:
A request to Chris Fonda if he's around. Cab Calloway's " Everybody Eats when they come to my house" Chord chart on Dr Uke. I bet it's in your repertoire. I thought about doing it...but Chris would do it better.
A delightful suggestion! I know the song well, but I never gave serious thought to try to cover it on the ukulele.
I sat on my bed this morning and I think I have figured out the basic structure pretty well in the original key of C.
I will see what Dr Uke thinks about it, too.
Thanks for the request, John. :geek:

Frim Fram Sauce - Redd Evans & Joe Ricardel - 1945

Except for in this song I've never tasted nor heard of frim fram sauce, ossenfay nor shifafa, and apparently neither has Spellcheck, because there's a wiggly red line under all three items.
If I ever see it on a menu, you can bet I'll order it.

I played this at our Saturday Open Mic about a year ago and Chris Fonda said, "Now if you don't have it, Just bring me the check for the water," which told me that he had heard Nat King Cole's version of this song since this is his tag line. I figured Chris would know it.

following Jim again, but in a blues style.

Top Bottom