Season 631: I Mist You

Thanks Jon for hosting and for the theme. So many songs came to mind - of the two I put down today the first is a song I heard for the first time yesterday. Hello Sunshine by Bruce Springsteen. I'd like to think it portrays some hope and positivity and not only on the negatives.

Not too far from you though maybe slightly more extremes of heat and cold as I'm inland a bit but it was mainly sunny, still and warm today. We got to 30 and it's about 27 now. A fairly rare event but we got out of the house (and out of town) for a trip over to Richmond today - normal hermit behaviour resumes tomorrow. The bureau are teasing us with a little bit of rain predicted tomorrow after another warm day - as it often misses us even if it rains elsewhere in the south I'll hope for some rain but won't count on it.

Hello again, Jon ... just enjoyed your weather forecast/travelogue for today, but what on earth does "Howrah you pooburger" mean; it sounds like the ultimate insult? I am attempting to match songs to the day's weather here in deepest France. First thing this morning, when I was drinking tea and doing the Wordle in bed, the sun was shining, so I thought it would be a "sunny" song. However, the sun disappeared in double quick time and has not yet returned. Unlike the protagonist in this song, though - who is obviously depressed with a capital "D" - I should imagine there is every chance that it MIGHT come back again.

As Tom Waits once said, "I think all songs should have weather in them, names of towns and streets, and they should have a couple of sailors. I think those are just song prerequisites." (Source: https://americansongwriter.com/tom-waits-on-tom-waits-interview/)

Well, here's one that does weather (rain and fog in this case) and sailors and a couple of place names, so it's most of the way there. It's one I wrote during FAWM about the Bell Rock Lighthouse, just up the coast from me. More on its history here: https://www.nlb.org.uk/lighthouses/bell-rock/

It's a new video but I kept a bit of the backing track I did for FAWM, because I'm bad at adding bass and accordion so I thought why waste the previous effort...

Forgive my Tardiness in Closing 630 - a lot has been happening. And, Jon, please forgive this interruption.

Just a note to say my final thoughts on Season 630 have just been posted.

Thanks to one and all who contributed!

Back to Season 631 where we get to "Bless the Weather" - I really hope one of you does a version of that!

PS I just scrolled up and saw Rob has already done one" Yee ha! John Martyn forever!

Thanks for hosting, Jon! 🙂
The eagle-eyed amongst us will know that our esteemed host has a rather famous new Facebook friend. So it seems only appropriate for me to cover one of her songs for Jon’s season. And it just happens to be one of my favourite songs of all time, and one which I’ve covered several times before, once with the glorious and much missed Liz Brinker (see here) and on another occasion with Mel Meow (see here). It has clouds, it has sun, it has rain and it has snow. This is just me, baritone uke, some vocal harmonies in the choruses, and some reverb.

And here’s the local overnight weather forecast - not very exciting, I’m afraid:
IMG_0411.jpeg

Last edited:
What a great Season theme, Jon! I’m very late to the party because I’ve been down with a relatively mild bout with the flu. Songs that mention the weather are my favorites. Am I right in assuming that “cold winds” and any lyrics mentioning a “breeze” will qualify?

What a great Season theme, Jon! I’m very late to the party because I’ve been down with a relatively mild bout with the flu. Songs that mention the weather are my favorites. Am I right in assuming that “cold winds” and any lyrics mentioning a “breeze” will qualify?
yes brother, they sure are!
as i'm reflecting here on a oppressively hot, smokin windy Tuesday afternoon,
i'm actually trying to think of a song that doesn't have some kind of reference to
the weather in it's lyrics lol...
😉

Here's another Filipino song, called "Tuwing Umuulan at Kapiling Ka" -- "Whenever It Rains and I'm With You." It's about someone telling the rain to completely drown the world just so they can be with the one they love. I remember this song from the alt-rock band Eraserheads, but I learned its a cover of a song from the 70s/80s composed by National Artist Ryan Cayabyab.

An AI generated translation is in the video description. Also, apologies for more flubbed chords than usual, I'm still getting used to holding my uke without a strap.

An original called Waiting in the Rain. I should have realised starting with a line like "waiting in the rain for you" might not end up all sunshine & roses though I was thinking it might be more like waiting to pick someone up but that's not where it went. I thought about trying to end with more hope and positivity but it felt forced - the guy who's waiting will just have to work through the end of his relationship on his own. High G tenor ukulele as the main accompaniment with a doubling of the drone on uke and some bass and drums.

It got to 30.7ºC (about 87ºF) before cooling a little with the change and is now about 27ºC (81ºF). It has rained - we got 0mm so far! Hopefully there will be a bit more so it might at least dampen the ground and register in the gauge - not expecting enough to change how dry everything is. As Jon would know very well Tasmanian summer and early autumn can be very dry (but we have also had floods in December) - the problem here is it's the second very dry summer in a row with an unusually dry autumn, winter and spring in between. For political reasons it's no longer declared as a drought.

big thanks to Andrew, Rob, Roy, Mitch,
Kevin, Del, Edwin and Val for the fantastic music today!

after a long stretch of barren weather and several days of oppressive heat,
the skies finally opened tonight, albeit briefly. aint one part of this island,
land, animal or human that isn't begging for it. storms expected later, one
can only hope, eh Snoopy..

snoopy - it was a dark and stormy night.jpg

Top Bottom