Season 616: December Will Be Magic Again

A piece from W.A. Mozart's The Magic Flute, March Of The Priests, arranged by UU member @Putter. Nen dikke merci, Rudy!

Last edited:
Hi all! Well, it's Monday now in Hawaii, so that brings this magical week to an end. The playlist is now complete to the best of my knowledge, and I will catch up with the last few entries later today. Meanwhile, time to concentrate on those bells and whistles!

So, I've now caught up with everything, and I believe I've listened to and commented on everything. Thanks everyone! If I have missed something, please shout - I promise it was an accident if I did.

Anyway. I'm not sure I can live up to the standard of some of the fantastic wraps we've had recently, so I'm not going to try, but even so I will sum up by saying: we ended up with 66 videos on the playlist, and they're all absolutely worth a listen. If you enjoy playing ukulele, you'll enjoy listening to others having fun with their ukes too, so please don't forget to give it a go and share the love. If you got a comment from someone, it'd be lovely to pay them back with a comment of your own.

It also seems that several of you discovered Jake Thackray for the first time, and for that alone, my work here has been worthwhile :). I don't want to single anyone out, but I'm going to anyway, because I was particularly thrilled to hear Jim Y and Joo covering Jake Thackray tunes after saying this is the season that introduced them to his work. Thank you!

Also a shout out to Rob: It we great to hear his all new wee original Stinkus Maximus, which had me giggling and I'm sure you will too.

I meant to post more myself, but got busier than expected. Three people posted songs that I wanted to do but didn't quite get around to, and I'm glad you did! (I won't name you, lest you think you stopped me posting them. Don't worry, you didn't. But I was glad you did either way :). I'll save them for another time... there's always another chance.)

Also: I'm sure I wasn't the only one who enjoyed seeing Arvin's process before hearing the really quite impressive final arrangement. Go and have a listen!

Finally: welcome to Caspar! Looking forward to hearing more from you!

Oh, and, finally finally: I can't help noticing that songs posted later in the week have, in general, far fewer listens and comments than songs posted earlier. To be fair, this is only natural because they haven't been up as long, and I'm as bad at paying attention as anyone else, but I promise you it's totally worth going back for another listen. Please do!

Hosting is loads of fun. I always love hearing what you come up with in response to my prompts, and it's particularly thrilling when original songs turn up that wouldn't have existed otherwise - Pa and Bernie in particular are likely to give you something both thought provoking and entertaining, and this week was no exception. If you're a regular who's never hosted, consider giving it a go. It is rewarding!

Right, I'm definitely going to shut up now. I'm off to practise my whistling. And to dig out my cowbell. Apologies in advance.

Thanks for hosting! I still need to go back and listen to a few that I missed, but I've been so short on sleep, I had no idea how some of these songs got past me.

Also, I did a bunch of jamming at the Sunday open mic, some of which fits this theme, and all of which was magic, none of it planned. I'll come back and edit that in once the video finishes uploading.

Official set, with spontaneous band "The Moondancers". Songs 1, 3, and 4 contain the word "magic".

"Moondance" - Van Morrison
"Locomotive Breath" - Jethro Tull
"Abracadabra" - Steve Miller Band
"Will You Love Me Tomorrow" - The Shirelles (Goffin / King)
I'm a Believer - The Monkees

Arguably, Coombsy being able to play flute after I did a Jethro Tull song last time without one, and then showing up this week, as if by magic, moments after we began the set, qualifies as a kind of magic.

And "I'm a Believer" ... in magic, right?

Featuring Andy on bass, the other Andy (and John at the start?) on guitar, Coombsy on flute, who arrived just in time, Marie (rhymes with "starry") on vocals, Garth off camera on cajon, Ruth singing along from the audience, and of course me, Wendy on uke.

We did a bunch more jamming after that, and I got video, but none of those songs met either theme, so this'll do for tonight. This girl needs sleep....

OMG ... it took over 24 hours for this video to load ... too late by far, but there it is!

Top Bottom