Season 616: December Will Be Magic Again

jtsteam

Half Uke Half Biscuit
UU VIP
Reaction score
Hello! It's December again! How did that happen? Must be some kind of sorcery. I suppose Kate Bush did warn us.

Anyway. Keeping it simple this week. I'm looking for songs about magic, by which I mean songs that include the word "magic" or one of its derivatives (e.g. magic, magician, etc) in the title or lyrics. There's no shortage of songs that fit that already, but I'll also accept these synonyms (and variations on them): sorcery, witchcraft, wizardry. And that's all.

Actually, no, that's not all. Since I'm host and so I'm making the rules, and just Because I Want To, you can also bring any song written or performed by Jake Thackray. I've noticed a few mentions on the forum lately, and I'd love to hear more of his songs on the uke. So now's your chance! His official website is a handy source of lyrics and chords: https://jakethackray.com/lyrics-and-tabs/

Bonus theme: If you've never posted to the Seasons before, none of this applies. Post whatever you like, all week. It'd be nice if you also tried to fit the theme at least once, but if you're new to the Seasons, there's no obligation to do so.

So, the summary/TL;DR:
  • Option 1: Songs mentioning magic
  • Option 2: Songs written or performed by Jake Thackray
  • Option 3 (new Seasonistas only): Anything you like
Other rules as usual (see the Seasons of the Ukulele FAQ if you don't know what that means)

New videos only please (with the usual exemptions), posted on youtube so that they can be added to the playlist, and please say either in the video or description that it's for Seasons of the Ukulele 616. It'd also be really nice to put a link to this post so that people who stumble on your video on youtube know what we're up to. That's how I found this place, and maybe more people will if we make it easier...

As you might have noticed, I'm usually pretty flexible about rules (it's about having fun with a uke after all) but there's one rule I'll be a stickler for: you must say either in your post on the forum or in the youtube description where you know the song from (so, in practice, that means say who the original artist was, who the songwriter was, whether it's traditional/original, or whether you genuinely don't know, in which case maybe we can help you find out!). Most of you do this anyway, but I don't want to have to do a web search to find out whether I'm hearing an original or not, and it's nice to give credit where it's due. Lots of the internet is bad at that. Let's not be like lots of the internet.

Don't forget to listen to and comment on other songs too! It's wonderful to get encouragement from other Seasonistas, so don't forget to give some back. It doesn't take much. Just say you enjoyed listening to it (well, assuming you did :)).

You can post any time from 00:00:00 Sunday 3rd December, Hawaiian time, right up to 23:59:59 on Sunday 10th December Hawaiian time. You can check the time in Hawaii here: https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/usa/honolulu

By the way, I picked the Boatman for Joo's Season 615 (which is still going, so keep 'em coming... I might have one more myself) and I was amused when she revealed that meant that I chose "magic", because I knew what this week's theme was going to be...

So, enjoy yourselves pulling rabbits out of hats, sawing people in half, making national monuments disappear, or whatever other kind of trickery you feel.

The PLAYLIST is here and will start filling up when you start posting.

Last edited:
Excellent, Edwin! When I read the title, I wondered at first how many songs there were about December ... but magic in general sounds delightfully wide-ranging and I love Jake Thackray!

By the way, I picked the Boatman for Joo's Season 615 (which is still going, so keep 'em coming... I might have one more myself) and I was amused when she revealed that meant that I chose "magic", because I knew what this week's theme was going to be...
🪄✨🛶

Hey Edwin. Just a clarification. Songs must contain listed words? Songs like “ love potion no 9” or “ I put a spell on you” don’t contain required words but are about magic.
Are they ineligible? Cheers mate.

Hey Edwin. Just a clarification. Songs must contain listed words? Songs like “ love potion no 9” or “ I put a spell on you” don’t contain required words but are about magic.
Are they ineligible? Cheers mate.
It's got to have the words in. I thought about being more open, but there's already loads, so I'm keeping it restricted.

You can always magic up an extra verse :).

It turns "Love Potion Number 9" is eligible anyway. I thought it might be and I just checked the lyrics... when I was searching for possible songs, it turned out "magic" appears all over the place even when I didn't realise it.

It turns "Love Potion Number 9" is eligible anyway. I thought it might be and I just checked the lyrics... when I was searching for possible songs, it turned out "magic" appears all over the place even when I didn't realise it.
Whoops..I missed that “ magic sign”. Thanks.

A SONG ABOUT THE STONE OF DESTINY
Based on a "TRUE" story.

O the Dean of Westminster wis a powerful man,
He held all the strings of State in his hand,
But with all this great business it flustered him nane,
Till some rogues ran away wi' his wee magic stane.
With a too ra li oor ra' li oor a li ay.

Noo the Stane had great pow'rs that could dae such a thing
And withoot it, it seemed, we'd be wantin' a King,
So he called in the Polis and gave this decree--
"Go an hunt oot the Stane and return it tae me."

So the Polis went beetlin up tae the North,
They huntit the Clyde and they huntit the Forth,
But the wild folk up yonder just Kiddit them a',
For they didnae believe it wis magic at a',

Noo the Provost o' Glesga, Sir Victor by name,
Wis awfy pit oot when he heard o the Stane,
So he offered the statues that staun in the Square,
That the High Churches' Masons might mak a few mair.

Whan the Dean o' Westminster wi' this wis acquaint,
He sent for Sir Victor and made him a Saint,
"Now it's no use you sending your Statues down heah,"
Said the Dean, "But you've giv'n me a right good idea,"

So he quarried a Stane o' the very same stuff,
And he dressed it a' up till it looked like enough,
Then he sent for the Press and announced that the Stane,
Had been found and returned to Westminster again.

Whan the reivers found oot what Westminster had done,
They went aboot diggin up Stanes by the ton,
And fur each wan they finished they entered a claim,
That this wis the true and original Stane.

Noo the cream o the joke still remains to be telt,
For the bloke that wis turnin them aff on the belt,
At the peak o production wis so sorely pressed,
That the real yin got bunged in alang wi the rest.

So if ever you come on a Stane wi' a ring,
Jist sit yersel doon and proclaim yersel King,
Fur there's nane wud be able to challege yir claim,
That you'd croont yersel King on the Destiny Stane.

Last edited:
It is magic! You have "When I'm 64?" in a picture frame and your video is exactly 6:40 minutes long. Loved it.

I found the lyrics: "William and Dinah" (c.1819?) vs "Villikins and his Dinah" (1854)
My daughter has a degree in art illustration and she made me that illustration when I was 64. It is a bit of synchronicity that the time of the video and the illustration should be the same... it's a kind of magic.

I will go for the Jake Thackray option. When I did this at one our Seasonista open mic sessions, some people thought it sounded like our host could have written it.

By the way, if you want to know a lot more about Jake, I heartily recommend his biography "Beware of the Bull: The Enigmatic Genius of Jake Thackray" by Paul Thompson & John Watterson. A great insight into a complex character.

Hello, Edwin and thanks for hosting! And Steve - and everyone else - I'm SO SORRY!! I just came back from a very good lunch with friends and decided to take Holy Orders - I had no idea that you'd got there before me with this song, Steve! I'm sure your version is much better than mine and it's also shorter ... but my version is, of course, being sung by a bona fide nun! (Since I am now in a Convent, you may not see me again as I'm not sure that nuns are allowed to play ukuleles.)

Last edited:
I got to the point of uploading this to YouTube before I realized "If I just say the song is 'Magic Man', everyone will assume it's the song by Heart, and be ticked off when it isn't." This is a different song called "Magic Man". Try, try, try to understand. It's by the band Caravan, a '70s British progressive rock band that came out of the Canterbury scene. This is from their first album -- every song on their first three albums was credited to all four members of the band.

Magic Moments - Bacharach & David 1957

Great idea for a Season topic Edwin. This is the first song that came into my head when I saw it. It's not the type of song I usually do (and I'll probably never do it again).
When my parents bought a hi-fi console in the fifties, it came with a stack of 45rpm records including this song sung by Perry Como.
There is a little intro that Perry Como whistles, but I have chapped lips and my attempt at whistling was pathetic, so I just sang it.

Do you believe?

Wonderful season, Edwin. Thank you for introducing me to Jake Thackray!

Is it just me, or does anyone else get an error message opening the YT playlist? I wonder if the visibility is on Private.

Is it just me, or does anyone else get an error message opening the YT playlist? I wonder if the visibility is on Private.
It's definitely set to public, I just checked! Maybe a youtube glitch? Hopefully that's all...

(Not that there's many things on it yet, I will be catching up shortly after I've had my dinner... I see there's a few to look forward to!)

It's directing me to a YouTube Studio and then an error. I'm guessing it's pointing to your personal YT studio page.

Top Bottom