Season 559 - Everybody Plays the Fool

Mirrored timelapse of clouds and water coming though a hole in the ice, with some foolish laughter.

"It's a fool's game, nothing but a fool's game..." A version of It's a Heartache (1977) by Ronnie Scott and Steve Wolfe. Playing ukulele - and fool.

I got the right SOTU number on this edit. (how gentle of you for not confronting the elderly on a mistake!) Glad I got it in early this time.

Little old punk rock song by Bad Religion, stomped on Cloverdale style.
NSFW lyric warning, penned by one of four aging pinks I know of who has a PhD, which I think is pretty cool.

I’ll bite… Milo Aukerman of the Descendents (biology, from UCSD), but can’t think of any of the others.

Reactions: TCK
Thanks for hosting, Jim. Love the new intro. I think I’m first with this one. Take one!

The fools who think it's a merry-go-round, just give us the tools and we'll turn it round.
As you know, I don't like doing Lindisfarne songs, but I'll suffer it just this once. This is an optimistic one, and one of the last ones they released before the untimely death of Alan Hull.

This is one of several songs out there called "Fool for Love", and I'd never heard it before this week. Written by Sandy Rogers, a California musician (and sister of the late actor/playright Sam Shepard) in 1994. It got some play being on the platinum-selling soundtrack to Reservoir Dogs. ENjoy.

FOOLISH YOU - Wade Hemsworth
Here's my third and final entry into Jim's Season 559. Thanks for hosting Jim.
Wade Hemsworth was not a prolific composer. He wrote about 20 songs during his life, but several of his songs, most notably The Wild Goose, The Black Fly Song and especially The Log Driver's Waltz, are among the most enduring classics in Canadian folk music. This song is one I learned from the singing of Montreal's McGarrigle Sisters.
wade kate anna & adrienne.jpg
Wade Hemsworth with Kate McGarrigle, Adrienne Clarkson (CBC radio/TV personality and 6th Canadian Governor General, 1999-2005) and Anna McGarrigle

Last edited:
SOTU 559 - George Strait's Fool Hearted Memory, co-written by Byron Hill and Blake Mevis, first released on the MCA label in 1982.

Thanks for hosting this week, Jim!

When George Michael’s first solo album, Faith, was released to much (deserved) critical acclaim in 1987, this track was my least favourite. My ears back then weren’t well attuned to the swingy, jazzy feel of it. However, in the intervening years and my many hundreds of plays of the album, it Is now probably my most favourite. It was the one and only song I wanted to do this week, but I was daunted at tackling a genre I haven’t really played much at all, and a vocal that is hugely challenging for me in the second bridge towards the end of the song (it starts at about 3.15 in the video if you’re interested to hear how I fared with it!).

Hey Jim!
I apologised for removing my post for my cover of the M. Ward song that i believe is still on the playlist.

I did that, because I was cheating by playing my classical guitar like a baritone uke!
I wanted to play the song that night pretty bad, and on a bari. One of my bari was not with me, and the other one had a bad buzzing issue that I could not fix, so i played it on my guitar! This guitar has been lying around for ages with a damaged A string and I just removed it and played the top 4 strings as if it was a bari! And boy, I decided to break the rules and "go with the theme" to fool you guys!
When I saw Edwin commented on how nice the "uke" sounded, I wanted to tell him it wasn't a uke, but then I decided to remove my post!

Please remove it from the playlist if you feel a need to!

I take it that I have used up my first 2 chances, and here is my third chance - a proper UKE song, although it is played on a guitalele!

I just got this baby 2 days ago, and er....I mucked around with it. Love it.

When I saw Edwin commented on how nice the "uke" sounded, I wanted to tell him it wasn't a uke, but then I decided to remove my post!
Well it did sound lovely! I guess the bigger body gives it a deeper, mellower sound.

If I was host I'd probably consider this merely bending the rules rather than breaking them :).

Top Bottom