Season 559 - Everybody Plays the Fool

This one seems to be missing from the playlist....
Thanks. You're right. Sorry, Dave. I think when Chris deleted Foolish Games and then reloaded it, YouTube still counted the deleted one as part of the total number of videos on the playlist, so I didn't notice I was one short.

Hey Jim!
I apologised for removing my post for my cover of the M. Ward song that i believe is still on the playlist.

I did that, because I was cheating by playing my classical guitar like a baritone uke!
I wanted to play the song that night pretty bad, and on a bari. One of my bari was not with me, and the other one had a bad buzzing issue that I could not fix, so i played it on my guitar! This guitar has been lying around for ages with a damaged A string and I just removed it and played the top 4 strings as if it was a bari! And boy, I decided to break the rules and "go with the theme" to fool you guys!
When I saw Edwin commented on how nice the "uke" sounded, I wanted to tell him it wasn't a uke, but then I decided to remove my post!

Please remove it from the playlist if you feel a need to!

I take it that I have used up my first 2 chances, and here is my third chance - a proper UKE song, although it is played on a guitalele!

I just got this baby 2 days ago, and er....I mucked around with it. Love it.

Joo, I can take the M. Ward song off the playlist if there's another song you'd rather do for your 3rd song this week. Otherwise, I'll leave it there.

Reactions: joo
When I see the word "Fool" - I am instantly transported back to my university days and the wonderful performance of King Lear directed by Jonathan Miller for the Open University (with Frank Middlemarsh as the Fool and Micheal Horden as Lear).

So it was obvious when I saw the theme that if I were to were to write a song for this Season, it was going to involve the most famous literary Fool.

And here it is. I hope you enjoy:

PS I telescoped the timeframe. We jump form Act 1 to Act 3 here 😉

Hey Jim!
I apologised for removing my post for my cover of the M. Ward song that i believe is still on the playlist.

I did that, because I was cheating by playing my classical guitar like a baritone uke!
I wanted to play the song that night pretty bad, and on a bari. One of my bari was not with me, and the other one had a bad buzzing issue that I could not fix, so i played it on my guitar! This guitar has been lying around for ages with a damaged A string and I just removed it and played the top 4 strings as if it was a bari! And boy, I decided to break the rules and "go with the theme" to fool you guys!
When I saw Edwin commented on how nice the "uke" sounded, I wanted to tell him it wasn't a uke, but then I decided to remove my post!

Please remove it from the playlist if you feel a need to!

I take it that I have used up my first 2 chances, and here is my third chance - a proper UKE song, although it is played on a guitalele!

I just got this baby 2 days ago, and er....I mucked around with it. Love it.

You are so honest Joo. I think playing 4 strings of a classical guitar is closer to playing a uke than playing a guitalele. When I first joined UU and saw peopleplaying guitaleles, I thought they were cheating. "That's just a little guitar!" Now I want one.
I have played a small tenor guitar with nylon strings on the Seasons and didn't feel guilty. Should I have?

Reactions: joo
Another (quick) cover of "The Fool On The Hill"

Hi Jim, I thought at first I had a couple of songs with "Fool" unfortunately I was not quick enough and they had already been posted, and then I remembered this one from REM, "Losing My Religion" it has a line with 2 x "Fool"!
My version is slower than original, I had the mic set with a bit of reverb and my picking leaves a lot to be desired.

You are so honest Joo. I think playing 4 strings of a classical guitar is closer to playing a uke than playing a guitalele. When I first joined UU and saw peopleplaying guitaleles, I thought they were cheating. "That's just a little guitar!" Now I want one.
I have played a small tenor guitar with nylon strings on the Seasons and didn't feel guilty. Should I have?
:--D
I personally don't mind what the instrument is so long it works for me. But I want to respect the host and the thread since it is a uke thread.
oh yes you did play a tenor guitar too! I was looking at tenor guitars because I think they might be great for clawhammer. Maybe one day...

Joo, I can take the M. Ward song off the playlist if there's another song you'd rather do for your 3rd song this week. Otherwise, I'll leave it there.
Thanks, Jim! Since it has been on the thread for a day or 2 and there have been some comments on it, I will repost it here!
So, er, here is my cover of a M. Ward song that I played on my "DIY" baritone uke. :----)

I finally found a version I can sing!

This one takes me back to the age of eleven, hanging half-out the upstairs window of our Chicago two-flat, gripping a tinny-toned little fist-sized transistor radio playing this song on WLS, and later, when getting over my first childhood crush in school. It's good medicine. All the ukes, vocals, harmonies, percussion, synth winds, and bad drumming are me.

Pink Floyd's "Pigs on the Wing (Part Two)", for concert ukulele with singing. Overdub of electric bass. The photos and video clip are of Gypsum Pepper Fergus, the studio dog, who was my best buddy for twelve human years, and who passed away this week.

And every fool knows a season needs a host - thanks Jim!

The lead singer on "Everybody Plays The Fool" is Cuba Gooding, Sr., the dad of the contemporary actor, Cuba Gooding, Jr. He was originally just a backup singer in the band, but advanced to lead vocalist when the original lead passed away, just in time to sing lead on this tune and make some history.

How I wish I had more time to do this one justice. (One of my oldest pals here in Portland absolutely loves the Cardigans.)

Still, it's a fun, foolish one.

Top Bottom