Season 110 of the Ukulele: Art and Artists!

This took far longer than it should've done, but finally, here's mine. I decided to make a bit of a video and try some finger picking. Also, I have a rather nasty cold so please excuse the flat singing!

Just a few more hours, folks! Thanks for a wonderful week, and don't be afraid to submit a few last-minute tunes!

Well, I feel I just can't do this song justice in the time I have left so, I'll leave you with a little teaser. The lyrics. To hear the tune you'll have to come back later for my post season post. Here's a song I wrote for my little girl :)

G
When you started to show
D
Into who you would grow
C
There was a clear, constant connection
G D
It didn’t escape our detection

G
There’s a beauty inside you
D
And the things that you drew
C
With your hands the magic happens
G D
Nothing escapes your inspection

Chorus:
G D
Oh, oh…..April
G C
Your paintings make my heart swell
G C
Sweeping lines of oil pastel
G C D
Make me see the depth of you

G D
Oh, oh…..April
G C
The eyes you draw, they see so well

G C
Twinkling in the dark night they dwell
G C D
Make me see the depth of you

G
You brighten up my day
D
The sun in shadow, leaves in play
C
As you configure your collection
G D
Each piece receives your affection

G
Eyes a shade of brilliant blue
D
You let us see your point of view
C
Find your angle of reflection
G D
You seek it out with passion

Chorus:
Brigde:
Em F
“A new protégé has come my way”
Em F
Is that really what I heard her say
Am
Sometimes imperfect is perfection
Am D
An April shower under her direction

Chorus:

Last edited:
I really tried hard to get another song in but I sat down to record and just kept messing up. I decided that its better for the safety of my ukes that I just go to bed LOL

Maybe I'll do it tomorrow anyhow and just post it elsewhere.

This video took the entire week from start to finish. I started painting the uke on Monday and strung it up this evening (though I could only find 3 black strings). Originally I was going to decoupage it but it took too long to dry. It still needs touch ups (and I ordered black tuners to replace the white ones) but I'm pleased with how it came out. I spent a lot of time trying to find an art song to fit the video. After much searching I realized last night I was just going to have to write a song myself. The idea for this song came to me in the shower this morning.
Thanks Rich for the inspiration- without Art Week this video would never have been made (and my project uke would still be unpainted). Thank you Berni (and all you other song writing Seasonistas) for giving me the confidence to actually sit down and write a song. And thanks to my husband who fashioned me a bridge (and who doesn't complain [too much] about my ukulele addiction).

Last edited:
My stagefright has been getting the best of me lately. Bleh. But this evening, with some help from my tech guy, I managed to get this video done of one of my favorite songs.

I'm playing it on my husband's dGBE Applause tenor, a big and slippery thing.

My stagefright has been getting the best of me lately. Bleh. But this evening, with some help from my tech guy, I managed to get this video done of one of my favorite songs.

I'm playing it on my husband's dGBE Applause tenor, a big and slippery thing.
Well done, I love that song! You have a nice voice, keep going... the camera stage-fright is a weird thing, I know, but the more you try to do it, you conquer it in the end.... I think it has taken me two years, but I've got used to my webcam at last! I really enjoyed your rendition, well done again! :)

This video took the entire week from start to finish. I started painting the uke on Monday and strung it up this evening (though I could only find 3 black strings). Originally I was going to decoupage it but it took too long to dry. It still needs touch ups (and I ordered black tuners to replace the white ones) but I'm pleased with how it came out. I spent a lot of time trying to find an art song to fit the video. After much searching I realized last night I was just going to have to write a song myself. The idea for this song came to me in the shower this morning.
Thanks Rich for the inspiration- without Art Week this video would never have been made (and my project uke would still be unpainted). Thank you Berni (and all you other song writing Seasonistas) for giving me the confidence to actually sit down and write a song. And thanks to my husband who fashioned me a bridge (and who doesn't complain [too much] about my ukulele addiction).
Wow Myrna you're such a star! What a great video! I'm so impressed with your creativity on this one!

Well, I thought of "Vincent", I thought of "If" and I thought of "Art for Art's Sake" by 10cc but the clock never cooperated this week and I just couldn't fit anything in. I've just watched a couple of great videos though (above) and will catch some more later... it was a great theme!

I really tried hard to get another song in but I sat down to record and just kept messing up. I decided that its better for the safety of my ukes that I just go to bed LOL

Maybe I'll do it tomorrow anyhow and just post it elsewhere.
Oh Maria, your such a tease. Come on, I love your vids. ;-)

Charlie and I started work on this one on Tuesday. We did the artwork and worked on the song but didn't finish it until this evening.
It came from here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pxxye-X56w
And here is our picture and song modelled on the one in the original song.

That is so stinkin cute!!! Love it!!! Made me smile! A great start to the day!

Thanks to all for a wonderful week! I hearby declare Week 110 closed for entries, and will begin the process of declaring prize winners from all of the wonderful performances this week. Enjoy week 111 with MattyDee!

Charlie and I started work on this one on Tuesday. We did the artwork and worked on the song but didn't finish it until this evening.
It came from here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pxxye-X56w
And here is our picture and song modelled on the one in the original song.

Absolutely smashing job Pa and Cha ...........and its taught me how to draw a bit better too !! Lol

Best thing on the internet today. Beautiful and precious and um, I need to cry now..... :love:

That is so stinkin cute!!! Love it!!! Made me smile! A great start to the day!

Absolutely smashing job Pa and Cha ...........and its taught me how to draw a bit better too !! Lol

Gah, this is too awesome and snuck in just before the closing time ;)
I loved it Pa, great job.

Thanks so much for these comments.
Charlie complained that drawing with a mouse is much harder than drawing with a pencil.
Her brother, Jacob, has a cameo 'appearance' with the "Look at that" comment.

Great song Myrna (; Funny how the shower is such an inspirational place, huh? I get a lot of ideas there too. There and in my dreams. Thanks for the wonderful song!

Top Bottom