POLL: Long Neck Soprano

Which long neck soprano would you get?

• Total voters
I have no good input as to the type of wood, but I would definitely encourage you to find an instrument that is better than you feel you "deserve" as far as build quality goes. It's worth the investment. That doesn't mean it has to be all solid (my Famous FS-5 is entirely laminate, but it's such an incredible quality that the sound is bright and chiming, not my experience with other laminates), but I suspect at least some kind of solid top. I've found spruce to be "brighter" than cedar. I haven't had experience with any of the other tone woods. Good luck, and please let us know your decision (and post a NUD - new ukulele day - once you've had a chance to noodle around a bit with it).
Oh thank you for the encouragement! I guess better build is always better. And noted, at least a solid top.

I think I have the same thoughts as you too.. spruce brighter than cedar. Some spruce tend to look quite "pale" but then again, that's just aesthetics.

Well, thank you once again, I may need to make more comparisons between the Opio and the Millar! And will definitely update and hopefully come up with a NUD post!

Here is a nice video comparing long neck sopranos made from different woods by the same manufacturer. The quality of your build matters at least as much as what type of woods they use.

Thank you for sharing! I definitely conclude that the Spruce/Acacia was the bright sound that I was looking for. And thanks for the confirmation on the quality of the build! Should have included that in the deciding factor! Thank you!

Here is something that also speaks to the KoAloha Opio being the recommended choice:

The Opio is usually/always compared with the Made in Hawaii KoAloha models at twice the price and the difference is small and one of the best buys in its price range. The mid priced Ohana and Kala ukuleles are often compared to the cheaper models in the company line and rarely compared to $1000 ukuleles. The acacia checks the box for being a very bright sound, too.
Ahh.. thank you for the sharing! That does put things in perspective! Now I'm torn between the Opio or the Millar Spruce/Acacia 🤭

Millar:
Nailed the bright sound I was looking for.

Opio:
A little less bright than the Millar, IMO
Aesthetically pleasing (not really liking the striped binding on the Millar)
Cool headstock.
It's an Opio! (I do not own any K brand ukes so this might come close)
I can find one that's cheaper than the Millar.

But I was always told to buy for the sound it produces 🤔

I have not yet played a Kala or Ohana that came close to an Opio. And KoAloha makes great concert scale ukes.

As for woods I don't think there is much systematic difference aside from appearance. Though on larger body ukes there can be audible difference between softwood and hardwood tops. For small body uke for the majority of playing styles a solid hardwood top will likely be more pleasant.

Last edited:
surprised to hear that a millar is brighter than an acacia opio...but I've only played the concerts

I’ve owned one of the Kala solid spruce top long necks for quite a while. It’s a nice Uke for the money.

Strings ( and how you tune them! ) do make a huge difference, and in my experience, sound samples on line are just a unique snapshot, whether good or bad.

If I could find one, a spruce top with cypress back and sides would be my choice for a bright Ukulele. Like a mini Blanca Flamenco guitar. 🙂

If I could find one, a spruce top with cypress back and sides would be my choice for a bright Ukulele. Like a mini Blanca Flamenco guitar. 🙂
Marco of Antica Ukuleleria used to have a "design your own" option which included cypress (I think even as a body option)... but he's changed his site again. They've got a new addition to the family (brand new baby) so he's probably a little occupied right now, but he's wonderful to chat with via email if you ever do reach out to him:

Sorry to side track your thread... the Opio sounds like it's inching ahead! I don't think you'd be disappointed, based on what I've read on the forum about Opios.

I have not yet played a Kala or Ohana that came close to an Opio. And KoAloha makes great concert scale ukes.

As for woods I don't think there is much systematic difference aside from appearance. Though on larger body ukes there can be audible difference between softwood and hardwood tops. For small body uke for the majority of playing styles a solid hardwood top will likely be more pleasant.
Thank you so much for the sharing! That was an interesting insight!

I’ve owned one of the Kala solid spruce top long necks for quite a while. It’s a nice Uke for the money.

Strings ( and how you tune them! ) do make a huge difference, and in my experience, sound samples on line are just a unique snapshot, whether good or bad.

Yes.. I thought the Kala spruce top long neck didn't sound too bad either!

I've got no choice.. need to just wing it! Here in Singapore, our ukulele store is nothing close to the international ones! (And you read that right, ukulele store, singular)

Marco of Antica Ukuleleria used to have a "design your own" option which included cypress (I think even as a body option)... but he's changed his site again. They've got a new addition to the family (brand new baby) so he's probably a little occupied right now, but he's wonderful to chat with via email if you ever do reach out to him:

Sorry to side track your thread... the Opio sounds like it's inching ahead! I don't think you'd be disappointed, based on what I've read on the forum about Opios.
Oh hey, it's okay!

Yes, I guess you're right.. nearly half of the votes is for the Opio.

And guess what.. I've already made my purchase!

The Opio it is! Acacia. Got it at a good price (I think) from Mim's Ukes!

Now, the wait.............

Oh hey, it's okay!

Yes, I guess you're right.. nearly half of the votes is for the Opio.

And guess what.. I've already made my purchase!

The Opio it is! Acacia. Got it at a good price (I think) from Mim's Ukes!

Now, the wait.............
YAY!!!!!! I'm so excited for you! Looking forward to your NUD (new ukulele day) when you get a chance to share.

You have a lot of concerts already (from your signature). What is your hope with the new instrument? Will it replace some of those, or?

YAY!!!!!! I'm so excited for you! Looking forward to your NUD (new ukulele day) when you get a chance to share.
Thank you! I actually have some others recently bought since Nov 2023 that I've yet to post. Perhaps I will get around to it!

You have a lot of concerts already (from your signature). What is your hope with the new instrument? Will it replace some of those, or?
Yes, I do own a lot of concerts. This Opio one is a long neck soprano. I've always like the sound of a soprano but my fudgy hands are too big for the soprano scales.

I did not plan to let any ukes go.. but I did thought about the Enya K5 All Solid Acacia concert. I hardly play it now. Not sure if it's because that would be my oldest uke in the collection and hence hasn't touched it since all the new ones came.

I've never owned or even seen a Millar ukulele in person, but all of the reviews that I see on YouTube say that they make excellent long neck soprano ukuleles for a great price. I do own an Opio long neck soprano and I think that one is excellent for about the same price. I don't think you can go wrong with either. The Opio has a wider neck which can make a big difference in playability (some people like it and some people don't).

I've never owned or even seen a Millar ukulele in person, but all of the reviews that I see on YouTube say that they make excellent long neck soprano ukuleles for a great price. I do own an Opio long neck soprano and I think that one is excellent for about the same price. I don't think you can go wrong with either. The Opio has a wider neck which can make a big difference in playability (some people like it and some people don't).
Ah.. thanks for sharing. That confirms my purchase then. Because I was looking for a wider neck.

I thought the Millar sounded great too... but the rope binding is a bit distracting.

In general, and that's all this is, a very general, rough idea about tone woods; they fall on a spectrum of sound characteristics.

Tops: It's all about moving air. Vibrations from the strings are transferred via the bridge to the soundboard. Woods for tops that are light and stiff are able resonant and act as efficient air pumps. Spruce, cedar, redwood, and the warmer tone woods of Koa, mahogany & mango are all popular choices. Soft woods tend to have more projection.
Of the soft wood tops: Spruce is the brightest — Cedar is warmer — Redwood is warmest.

Bodies: The back vibrates and reflects the sound and the sides are more rigid and supports the top and back. Bodies are mostly made of harder woods. The body adds tones, resonance and nuanced layers to the build. Some tone woods work great for both the soundboard and the body.

The harder, denser the wood, the brighter the sound, with higher sustain and more note separation. The less dense woods, produce a warmer, more blended sound.

Warmer> Koa, Mango — Mahogany, Myrtle — Maple, Cocobolo <Brighter
[Lots of other woods are used and fall somewhere between warm and bright.]

Caveats: These are not absolute rules. I have had solid mango tenors that were warmer than most of my Koa ones. I have a Spruce/Maple tenor that is quite warm. The grain and resins and moisture in the wood can affect it sound properties. Wood taken from two sections of a single tree can sound differnt. Aging, drying, soil and climate where the trees grew all affect the wood. Even the glues used can influence the sound. The strings contribute as well.

Other factors that may be even more important than the woods are the design and construction of the ukulele. I have a number of solid Koa tenors made by different companies and luthiers, and they all sound different due to how they were designed and made.

The overall voice is a function of all of the details that go into the finished instrument.

@Kenn2018 Wow, thank you so much for the detailed sharing on the tone woods! I have definitely learnt a lot in just 1 post. In conclusion, I guess the one way that works is to simply just listen to the sound samples and see which attracts your attention.

I decided on the KoAloha Opio All Solid Acacia Long Neck Soprano and have just received it a few days ago. It plays perfectly and the sound profile.. it's not something that I have in my arsenal. Surprisingly though, it is warmer/fuller than my Enya K5 Solid Acacia Concert. So going back to your post, there are just so many other factors contributing to the final sound.

Top Bottom