POLL: Favorite Non-Hawaiian Brand of Uke

Do I have to pick just one? ;) I'm assuming we're looking at "factory-made" instruments, not custom luthier-built.
I'm going with a tie between aNueNue and Cocobolo. My Moonbird Tenor is a sweet, mellow powerhouse and my Cocobolo concert is clear, bright, and melodic without being jangly. I hate jangly! :rolleyes:

Listing several dozen brands wouldn't be practical. Say what your favorite brand is, and I will post the results.
Aside from Hawaiian builds I also like local luthiers from other areas, but won't single out specific individuals. I have no interest in ukes that are mass produced by anonymous labourers.

Collings for "production" model.
Kinnard for luthier made.
Barron River is a close second for luthier build.

I have seen some votes for Pono. Wouldn’t that technically be a Hawaiian brand if it’s owned by Ko’olau?

I have seen some votes for Pono. Wouldn’t that technically be a Hawaiian brand if it’s owned by Ko’olau?
We don't need to overthink this. My personal approach to the question of this thread would be Made in Hawai'i vs. elsewhere (and perhaps restricted to factories, not custom makers).

Since I play it nearly every day, I'll have to say Cocobolo. It does pretty much what I need it to. 2nd would be wife's Tiny Tenor by Romero Creations, harder to play, but best sounding uke in the house.

We don't need to overthink this. My personal approach to the question of this thread would be Made in Hawai'i vs. elsewhere (and perhaps restricted to factories, not custom makers).
Interesting stipulations. Since I did see a few custom makers listed above, I do wonder how Peter from Pohaku fits in here. After spending some time with him recently, I learned that he lived on Oahu for 8yrs and started building ukes during that time. Of course, he's since moved to Berkeley and now Astoria, so they're not really 'Hawaiian made' of course... but could one say the knowledge and craft from Hawaii is still there? How about Kerry Char?

ok... i'm definitely overthinking this. Maybe keeping to factories or manufacturers is right. What if you moved all the employees from Koaloha to the mainland? (this is obviously hypothetical)... does that make it less Hawaiian?

Reminds me of the completely off-topic Ship of Theseus riddle. I love me some riddles!!

I was just coming back to change my post when I saw you beat me to the Timms.
I think Timms can be filed under Martin - he produces as true a copy of a Martin style 0 ukulele as it is possible to make, dovetail joint and arched back included.

I guess we're not getting to five pages, but here are the results .

Twenty-five regular production brands were listed. I included Pono because, although it is part of Ko'olau and Kanile'a, it is made off Hawaii. I can't guarantee that my tally is 100% correct, but aNueNue is definitely the favorite here.

aNueNue 10
Pono 6
Martin 5
Ohana 3
Rebel 3
Collings 3
Magic Fluke 2
Bruko 2
Cocobolo 2
Romero 2
Millar 2

One vote -