Reaction score
Help a friend in need!

Ohana Solid Mahogany
Ohana/Kala Solid Cedar Top/Acacia
Kala Curly Mango
Kala Solid Spruce Top/Mahogany
Kala Spalted Mango
Kala/Kumu Koa
Koaloha Opio All Solid Acacia (Although not sure if I'm worthy of this uke!)

I do not have a preference to the wood type. I appreciate them all accordingly. And that is why I am unable to make a decision on which long neck soprano to purchase.

Although, I would prefer one with a bright sound.

Appreciate any of your polls/thoughts! :)

Last edited:
Hi @Freya Vie, I voted for mahogany because that’s my favourite. But then I saw in your post that you prefer a bright sound, so maybe you’d be better off with spruce or cedar!

I’m no expert on tonewoods, but in my experience mango is the least bright of the woods you listed, with koa somewhere in the middle. I find mahogany to be dark and woody sounding on the smaller sizes, but on a good ukulele it should still have some brightness and sparkle.

Do you have particular models and brands in mind? Because that would make a lot of difference too.

Hi @Freya Vie, I voted for mahogany because that’s my favourite. But then I saw in your post that you prefer a bright sound, so maybe you’d be better off with spruce or cedar!

I’m no expert on tonewoods, but in my experience mango is the least bright of the woods you listed, with koa somewhere in the middle. I find mahogany to be dark and woody sounding on the smaller sizes, but on a good ukulele it should still have some brightness and sparkle.

Do you have particular models and brands in mind? Because that would make a lot of difference too.
Oh thank you so much for your sharing! I thought Mahogany would be the most mellow of them all 🫢

Ah yes, perhaps you're right, I shall indicate the make for better votes.

Thank you!

Last edited:
I thought Mahogany would be the most mellow of them all
Well, like I say, I’m definitely no expert! But the mango ukes I’ve played have been very mellow sounding, whereas I have a couple of really sparkly and lively sounding mahogany sopranos.

I definitely think make and model would be a better indicator of sound than tonewood alone. Enjoy the hunt! 😁

Edit: You’ll get a lot more responses when America wakes up!

Well, like I say, I’m definitely no expert! But the mango ukes I’ve played have been very mellow sounding, whereas I have a couple of really sparkly and lively sounding mahogany sopranos.

I definitely think make and model would be a better indicator of sound than tonewood alone. Enjoy the hunt! 😁

Edit: You’ll get a lot more responses when America wakes up!
Oopsie! Did not take the time into consideration. It is currently 3:40PM here 🫠

Acacia/koa/mango for a brighter, sparkly sound, and mahogany for a warmer, lush sound. The former tend to look a little more interesting, mahogany is mostly quite plain looking, though its sound is very appealing.

If it's in the budget, I'm saying the Opio. I don't have one but from what I've heard, they are very close to "the real thing" (koa Koaloha) for a lot less money

Get the best one you can afford. Different strings will help your uke sound the way you want it to, no matter what wood you get. A well built solid wood uke will hold its value the best, and probably sound the best as well. Mahogany and Koa are classics, but I vote for that Opio even though i've only heard about them and not played them. So, take that with a grain of salt.

I have no good input as to the type of wood, but I would definitely encourage you to find an instrument that is better than you feel you "deserve" as far as build quality goes. It's worth the investment. That doesn't mean it has to be all solid (my Famous FS-5 is entirely laminate, but it's such an incredible quality that the sound is bright and chiming, not my experience with other laminates), but I suspect at least some kind of solid top. I've found spruce to be "brighter" than cedar. I haven't had experience with any of the other tone woods. Good luck, and please let us know your decision (and post a NUD - new ukulele day - once you've had a chance to noodle around a bit with it).

Here is a nice video comparing long neck sopranos made from different woods by the same manufacturer. The quality of your build matters at least as much as what type of woods they use.

Here is something that also speaks to the KoAloha Opio being the recommended choice:

The Opio is usually/always compared with the Made in Hawaii KoAloha models at twice the price and the difference is small and one of the best buys in its price range. The mid priced Ohana and Kala ukuleles are often compared to the cheaper models in the company line and rarely compared to $1000 ukuleles. The acacia checks the box for being a very bright sound, too.

Acacia/koa/mango for a brighter, sparkly sound, and mahogany for a warmer, lush sound. The former tend to look a little more interesting, mahogany is mostly quite plain looking, though its sound is very appealing.
Thank you so much! Yes I agree, mahogany looks more plain jane. Perhaps Acacia may be up for consideration!

I see you have 2 Ken Timms Style 0 soprano. Just curious, which do you pick up more often, the mahogany or koa? :)

If it's in the budget, I'm saying the Opio. I don't have one but from what I've heard, they are very close to "the real thing" (koa Koaloha) for a lot less money
Thank you Jim! Oh yes, you're right.. I've heard good stuffs about the Opio too. I wasn't quite sure if I want to stretch my budget that far. But maybe I just might, hehe.

Wow, thank you so much for the references! I've never heard of the Millar one till today. It sounded amazing!

Although the Opio looks a bit more timeless.. (with reference to the striped binding on the Millar).

I'll look up more videos on the Millar.. I thought it sounded nice cause the player did finger picking/ chord melody.. I mostly strum 🤔

Get the best one you can afford. Different strings will help your uke sound the way you want it to, no matter what wood you get. A well built solid wood uke will hold its value the best, and probably sound the best as well. Mahogany and Koa are classics, but I vote for that Opio even though i've only heard about them and not played them. So, take that with a grain of salt.
Thank you, Mike! Yes I think half of what I listed are probably made of laminated wood.. Solid, got it!

Top Bottom