New Oli' line on HMS

RafterGirl

Reaction score
I've been looking at the new Oli' line of ukuleles that's showed up on the HMS website in the last few weeks. They look very nice, with lattice bracing, side sound port, arm bevel, and radiused fret board. Wide range of wood combos and wide price range. Mostly tenors and baritones, but a few concerts have just appeared. They come from a Ko'olau background, and luthier Ryan Condon. Built on Java from what I read. It appears that the Oli' line may be replacing the Pono Master series line??? There are differences in dimensions between the Pono and Oli' though. Scale length and nut size are different. I reached out to HMS for info, and they said the neck shape and fret board radius is similar to Pono, and the Oli' have a truss rod like Pono.

I'm intrigued by the Oli' ukes. Anyone actually seen one, played one? They seem to be selling fast off the HMS website, based on the day to day availability.

I like the sound of the mango concert. Fortunately for my finances, the neck won't work for me, though, so I won't get to enjoy one in person. They do look nice, though.

I recall playing someone's Pono for a few minutes, several years ago. I have a vague recollection of the neck feeling "chunky." The Pono and Oli' necks are described as a medium C shape, in contrast with a D shape for the aNueNue ukuleles. Pono nut size is 1.35 and the Oli' is 1.5

I'm most comfortable with a concert. However, I really like my Cocobolo concert with a 16 inch scale instead of standard 15 inch. It gives me a little extra space, especially when playing second and third position chords up the neck. I dabble with chord melodies quite a bit, and extra space would be nice. The Oli' line has all the features I want....satin neck, radiused fret board, side sound port, top & side fret markers. and beautiful wood combos. But I worry about the chunkier and wider neck, combined with a longer scale and stretch for my fingers.

I just ordered one of their baritones.
I have 2 UL Ponos which I obviously like a lot
The chunkiness of the neck is not a problem on baritones, as it is on tenors, especially for a classical guitarist like myself.
As soon as I get it, I will post a report
Ron

I reached out recently to ask about the neck shape and they replied with this:

"It's more slender than Pono. Pono is on the chunky side but these are a medium C shape. Not super skinny but less thick than Pono."

Thanks eyedoc and simerix for the info. That's a positive that the neck is more slender than Pono. On one of the Oli' videos, Corey mentioned that people who play concert size shouldn't have a lot of trouble with the tenor size.

It seems by reading through the write-ups on the Oli' ukuleles that they may have taken what they liked from the Pono line and tweaked it somewhat. Both Oli' and Pono appear to be coming from the same Ko'olau lineage & luthier.

If you haven't seen it already, you should check out this thread from last week. Andrew from HMS/TUS actually replied on it to give some background.

I'm very interested in this brand and am currently trying to decide between it and aNueNue.

Andrew talked about the line a bit too in the thread I started about the same questions

While the appointments (side port, beveling) are great for most, it’s a bummer for me. I’m left handed. So these additions are pointless for me. I wish there were still an option to get the Pono Master Series, but oh well, what can one do?

Thanks for the link to the earlier post. Guess I missed it. I've been pretty busy this last week with uke group rehearsals, performances, and playing for a memorial service. There's a lot of good info on the earlier post. Now I'm even more jazzed to spend money and try one.....Yikes. The biggest problem is that they are selling fast. I see one I'm drawn to and it's gone in a few days.

Am I understanding that these are made by the same people who make Pono, and that the label itself is very closely tied to Ko’olau, Pono, and HMS?

Not a complaint. In fact, I think very highly of all these folks. It’s just that the name on the instrument almost seems beside the point to me. It’s the people involved in the project that matter here.

Am I understanding that these are made by the same people who make Pono, and that the label itself is very closely tied to Ko’olau, Pono, and HMS?

Not a complaint. In fact, I think very highly of all these folks. It’s just that the name on the instrument almost seems beside the point to me. It’s the people involved in the project that matter here.
Agreed, I think people just have a lot of questions as the Oli line are a very different from Pono and Ko'alau. They are much more modern in design and came out of nowhere. Also, they have so many wood choices, it's overwhelming (albeit amazing at the same time)

My understanding is that the 'Oli brand is intimately related to the Pono line, but is neither a Ko'olau nor a Pono.

The person behind the 'Oli ukuleles is Andrew K, owner of TUS. Now the TUS facility is next door to the Ko'olau/Pono site in Hawaii. Why? Because Andrew is the brother of Noa Bonk, who makes the Ko'olau ukuleles. So TUS is a big seller (and carries great inventory/selection) of Pono Ukuleles (since Pono is a brand of Ko'olau).

So then Andrew scratches an itch and designs the 'Oli ukuleles, incorporating many of the ideas/thoughts that he has from his experience. And he needs a factory to produce them. Enter the factory that produces Pono. So they use the lattice bracing of the new Ponos, but add other design features that Andrew wants while keeping the features that Pono already has experience at.

So an 'Oli is not a Pono brand (or Ko'olau), but is a close relative (in more ways than one).

I would jump on it if you see one you want.

I took a risk and ordered an acacia baritone. My first uke was a Pono acacia. I ended up hating it due to the stuffy, tight sound. The sound board was too thick and never opened up.

The ‘Oli has a thinner sound board plus the lattice bracing. The video on TUS sounds much more resonant with more bass, treble, and sustain. It sounds and looks a lot like my Koaloha, and I always wished they would make a baritone. Hope I’m not disappointed.

Well, my UAS got the better of me, and I ordered a Oli Tenor, Spruce/ Macassar Ebony for my 65th birthday present to myself. It will be a few weeks before I get it, so I'll comment on it more later...but here are a couple pics...IMG_6802.jpegIMG_6801.jpeg

Well, my UAS got the better of me, and I ordered a Oli Tenor, Spruce/ Macassar Ebony for my 65th birthday present to myself. It will be a few weeks before I get it, so I'll comment on it more later...but here are a couple pics...View attachment 169319View attachment 169320
Very beautiful! I've got the baritone model of the same tonewoods--it was my first time playing ebony but WOW! Love mine and I am sure will bring you hours of happiness and joy too ('Oli means happiness or joy in Hawai'ian language)

I also shared some of me playing and loving it in the other thread going

Very beautiful! I've got the baritone model of the same tonewoods--it was my first time playing ebony but WOW! Love mine and I am sure will bring you hours of happiness and joy too ('Oli means happiness or joy in Hawai'ian language)

I also shared some of me playing and loving it in the other thread going

That's awesome! My last name is Oliver, and my nickname since HS has been "Oli" so this Uke has extra special meaning to me 🤣

My understanding is that the 'Oli brand is intimately related to the Pono line, but is neither a Ko'olau nor a Pono.

The person behind the 'Oli ukuleles is Andrew K, owner of TUS. Now the TUS facility is next door to the Ko'olau/Pono site in Hawaii. Why? Because Andrew is the brother of Noa Bonk, who makes the Ko'olau ukuleles. So TUS is a big seller (and carries great inventory/selection) of Pono Ukuleles (since Pono is a brand of Ko'olau).

So then Andrew scratches an itch and designs the 'Oli ukuleles, incorporating many of the ideas/thoughts that he has from his experience. And he needs a factory to produce them. Enter the factory that produces Pono. So they use the lattice bracing of the new Ponos, but add other design features that Andrew wants while keeping the features that Pono already has experience at.

So an 'Oli is not a Pono brand (or Ko'olau), but is a close relative (in more ways than one).

I would jump on it if you see one you want.
Thanks for the background. Sounds almost like it will be a HMS house brand we will see if they put them in other stores.

Well, my UAS got the better of me, and I ordered a Oli Tenor, Spruce/ Macassar Ebony for my 65th birthday present to myself. It will be a few weeks before I get it, so I'll comment on it more later...but here are a couple pics...View attachment 169319View attachment 169320
I love the fret marker treatment. One marker that shows at the edge AND side of the fretboard. I like that look, and it’s convenient too.

PS: Happy Birthday, Shari!

Top Bottom