Anyone played a new Oli uke?

U ppl are not watching the Ukulele Site podcast closely enough. :ROFLMAO: This is a new house brand for HMS/TUS developed by Andrew Katakis his ownself.

Kidding aside, I gotta tell ya, I'm completely blown away by these 'Oli ukes. The first time I saw one was about a month ago, in a podcast episode with the Jake Signature Kamaka (now in stock at HMS/TUS after a 5 year absence!), an I'wii bearclaw spruce tenor from Oahu master luthier Charlie Fukuba (I LOVE his stuff!!!!), a new Kanile'a and a bunch of new Koolaus, and I thought that this 'Oli cedar/macassar ebony was by far the best-sounding uke on the episode. I think I have this cued up properly, but you're looking for 15.55 in this episode to have Kalei Gamiao take 'er for a spin.

(This is from the clips channel of course, but you know what? Check the whole episode. I SWEAR, even going head-to-head with top of the line ukes from Kamaka, Kanile'a, Koolau, and some gems from a couple of my favorite luthiers, this 'Oli SLAYED. I ain't kidding even a little.)

These are made in the same Java facility that makes Ponos, and Kalei recently took a trip there with Andrew. Here's a lovely clip from that trip.

We've all still got a lot to learn about these in the real world, but anyone looking to learn more can definitely check out their appearances in all of the past month's TUS/HMS podcast. I'll add a couple more clips to hold you over while we all get up to speed on these.

I know we have a lot of concert scale fans here, so here's Kalei with a mango concert for ya!

Ditto for baritones -- here's Corey and lovely-sounding spruce-ebony model, including a thorough description of its appointments.

I think a lot of folks are gonna find a lot to like in this product line. I'm sure seeing some stuff that's making me itching to take one for a spin!

I noticed on a listing for a Pono Master Baritone -

We’re closing them out with this sale to make room for the new 'Oli line that will be replacing the lattice braced Master Series.

So are 'Oli replacing Pono or just the high end range? I see that they are made in the same factory.

it seemed to me that the higher-end inlaid ones were heavily inspired by Chuck Moore’s work and commented the same on the YouTube video. It was nice it Andrew to acknowledge that on Facebook as well. That said it seems to be a cross between LFDM lattice bracing with Chuck Moore’s aesthetics. Not sure how I feel but it creates its own space in the uke world.

@TimWilson summarized 'Oli pretty nicely with some beautiful sound clips. I will say, that spruce/ebony baritone was a few clicks away from me and it did end up selling quick. I had to go pick up my lone bari and remind myself that it's all I need and not worth replacing. The UAS battles are real, folks!.. and Andrew sure knows how to trigger it.

Long time lurker, here! Just actually joined to post a similar question 😂 I’m loving the look and sound of these ukes, but having a hard time pulling the trigger on something that hasn’t passed the test of time! Is it a brand new brand? Having trouble finding much info….
So are 'Oli replacing Pono or just the high end range? I see that they are made in the same factory.
My understanding is that Pono is the production brand of Ko'olau, which is under Noa Bonk (Andrew's brother). Noa tends to be more steeped in tradition, which is why Ko'olau ukes don't vary too much with colors stains, inlays, cutaways, and other bells and whistles.

I believe even the new Master series, with the lattice bracing, was something that Andrew did with the other Ko'olau luthier, Ryan Condon, who I believe does much of the Ko'olau finishing work.

Andrew has seen it all, knows what he likes, and has impeccable taste. I get a feeling he had/has a bunch of new ideas waiting to get out that he couldn't really do with Pono, as it would differ too much from the Ko'olau tradition. I mean, how weird would it be to see a Pono like this...

But also, how lovely is it to see an 'Oli like it?! That's right... quite lovely!!! I think you can expect Pono quality right off the bat with just different bells and whistles from the mind of Andrew... arm bevels, side sound ports, sunburst finishes, colorful inlays, unique wood combinations... all stuff he knows works well, sounds good, and will sell!

I guess this is just a long way of saying, I don't think there's a need to question the reputation of this new brand, as it's built on the shoulders of Ko'olau, Pono, and TUS, which are all held in pretty high regard. Similar to the words of Jay-Z, Andrew's not a businessman... He's a business, man!

That all said, I don't see 'Oli replacing Pono completely. I'm sure it was very calculated and I think it's safely covering a different lane and target market. I'm definitely looking forward to what's to come for them and from them... I'm sure it's gonna be great! I just gotta keep loving my current ukes and avoid the strong pull of UAS!!!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info, Tim. We are truly in the Golden Age of ukulele craftsmanship and quality. It doesn't matter what the limits of your budget are, quality is now there at all levels, and it keeps getting better. These 'Oli ukes are a welcome, if not unexpected, addition to the ever-expanding range of fine instruments available to us. Outstanding! What's not to like?

A few days ago, I was at the TUS warehouse and at the Haleiwa store. I talked with Andrew, Kalei and Corey about the new 'Oli line and was able to take a close look and play a new tenor. It had a very clear and pleasing tone, was properly set up and the materials, construction quality, finish and detailing were really first rate. This new line obviously got a lot of time and care, looks very impressive and no doubt will quickly find a strong position in the market. Good work, guys!

U ppl are not watching the Ukulele Site podcast closely enough. :ROFLMAO: This is a new house brand for HMS/TUS developed by Andrew Katakis his ownself.

Kidding aside, I gotta tell ya, I'm completely blown away by these 'Oli ukes. The first time I saw one was about a month ago, in a podcast episode with the Jake Signature Kamaka (now in stock at HMS/TUS after a 5 year absence!), an I'wii bearclaw spruce tenor from Oahu master luthier Charlie Fukuba (I LOVE his stuff!!!!), a new Kanile'a and a bunch of new Koolaus, and I thought that this 'Oli cedar/macassar ebony was by far the best-sounding uke on the episode. I think I have this cued up properly, but you're looking for 15.55 in this episode to have Kalei Gamiao take 'er for a spin.

(This is from the clips channel of course, but you know what? Check the whole episode. I SWEAR, even going head-to-head with top of the line ukes from Kamaka, Kanile'a, Koolau, and some gems from a couple of my favorite luthiers, this 'Oli SLAYED. I ain't kidding even a little.)

These are made in the same Java facility that makes Ponos, and Kalei recently took a trip there with Andrew. Here's a lovely clip from that trip.

We've all still got a lot to learn about these in the real world, but anyone looking to learn more can definitely check out their appearances in all of the past month's TUS/HMS podcast. I'll add a couple more clips to hold you over while we all get up to speed on these.

I know we have a lot of concert scale fans here, so here's Kalei with a mango concert for ya!

Ditto for baritones -- here's Corey and lovely-sounding spruce-ebony model, including a thorough description of its appointments.

I think a lot of folks are gonna find a lot to like in this product line. I'm sure seeing some stuff that's making me itching to take one for a spin!

Is the Jake already sold? Not seeing it on their site.

Think it sold relatively quickly.

They talk a little about it in the full-length podcast episode I linked above. TUS/HMS ordered FIVE of them back in 2019, and all five of them sold almost immediately. This is pretty typical for these, which is why it took TUS five years to get any of them at all.

I think about this kind of thing when the "how much is too much for an ukulele?" threads pop up. For YOU, the answer is whatever it is. Maybe it's $200. Maybe $500. I don't know. It's YOUR number. But objectively speaking, it's obvious that Kamaka and TUS could be charging more for the Jake Blues if they're gone instantly at $4995.

And in saying that I think the 'Oli cedar/ebony sounded better than the Jake (and listening again this morning, I still think that), I'm not saying that the Jake isn't worth $4995. I think it is, and then some. It looks like it costs as much as it does, and sounds like it too -- and I'm serious, I think it would still be priced right at a thousand more.

I'm glad for everyone who bought it at this price of course and I'm not trying to cause any trouble (this time anyway :ROFLMAO:), but I think in general, the top end of the ukulele market is artificially low because we're talking about ukuleles. Guitars are the easy and obvious comparison, but there's LOTS of instruments that cost more than these.

(That's assuming that you like the look at all, which you may not -- a little blingy for me, honestly -- or that you like tenors, which I know is a complete no-go for plenty of folks. In which case, the value to YOU might be less than zero, and you're absolutely correct about that.)

That's what's so intriguing to me about the whole concept of punching above its weight. I think the Jake IS punching above its weight in some obvious ways, but I feel about the 'Olis that I'm hearing the way that I did when I first heard the lattice-braced Pono Master Series -- punching way WAY above their weight.

What finally moved me off the fence to make the PMS spruce/mahogany my first major uke purchase was holding it in my hands and playing it alongside ukes that cost much more, up to 4x more and feeling like even if I had the budget to spend more (which I absolutely did not), I'd still have picked this one.

That's what I like about the question posed by @a green field and our first answer from @saltytri:

This new line obviously got a lot of time and care, looks very impressive and no doubt will quickly find a strong position in the market. Good work, guys!

For all me playfully giving grief to folks who've missed the Ukulele Site podcast, I'm quite behind on them myself. I just today caught up with this clip with Ian O'Sullivan, who's become something of the bard of Disney soundtracks on ukulele. THis is something I wasn't aware that we needed as much as I now believe that we do. These are some of the most enduring tunes of our lifetimes, and he's doing some really special things with them. Once again with the cedar/ebony tenor:

THis is something I wasn't aware that we needed as much as I now believe that we do. These are some of the most enduring tunes of our lifetimes, and he's doing some really special things with them.
Not to mention the 8+ books he's putting together with Queen Lili’okulani's music. That's insane and awesome! While ALSO teaching how to read music on an actual scale and not tabs?!? Ian's doing the uke lord's work.

They talk a little about it in the full-length podcast episode I linked above. TUS/HMS ordered FIVE of them back in 2019, and all five of them sold almost immediately. This is pretty typical for these, which is why it took TUS five years to get any of them at all.

I think about this kind of thing when the "how much is too much for an ukulele?" threads pop up. For YOU, the answer is whatever it is. Maybe it's $200. Maybe $500. I don't know. It's YOUR number. But objectively speaking, it's obvious that Kamaka and TUS could be charging more for the Jake Blues if they're gone instantly at $4995.

And in saying that I think the 'Oli cedar/ebony sounded better than the Jake (and listening again this morning, I still think that), I'm not saying that the Jake isn't worth $4995. I think it is, and then some. It looks like it costs as much as it does, and sounds like it too -- and I'm serious, I think it would still be priced right at a thousand more.

I'm glad for everyone who bought it at this price of course and I'm not trying to cause any trouble (this time anyway :ROFLMAO:), but I think in general, the top end of the ukulele market is artificially low because we're talking about ukuleles. Guitars are the easy and obvious comparison, but there's LOTS of instruments that cost more than these.

(That's assuming that you like the look at all, which you may not -- a little blingy for me, honestly -- or that you like tenors, which I know is a complete no-go for plenty of folks. In which case, the value to YOU might be less than zero, and you're absolutely correct about that.)

That's what's so intriguing to me about the whole concept of punching above its weight. I think the Jake IS punching above its weight in some obvious ways, but I feel about the 'Olis that I'm hearing the way that I did when I first heard the lattice-braced Pono Master Series -- punching way WAY above their weight.

What finally moved me off the fence to make the PMS spruce/mahogany my first major uke purchase was holding it in my hands and playing it alongside ukes that cost much more, up to 4x more and feeling like even if I had the budget to spend more (which I absolutely did not), I'd still have picked this one.

That's what I like about the question posed by @a green field and our first answer from @saltytri:

For all me playfully giving grief to folks who've missed the Ukulele Site podcast, I'm quite behind on them myself. I just today caught up with this clip with Ian O'Sullivan, who's become something of the bard of Disney soundtracks on ukulele. THis is something I wasn't aware that we needed as much as I now believe that we do. These are some of the most enduring tunes of our lifetimes, and he's doing some really special things with them. Once again with the cedar/ebony tenor:

I believe the latest batch were listed for more than $4995 and they were still sold super quick.

‘Oli uses the same bracing as the last Master Series but the body shape and sound hole placement changed affecting tone along with the side port, a little wider on the string spacing and slimmer on the neck depth for the feel we like best, consulted with Corey & Kalei along the way. It’s different than the Master Series but maybe I can do a video about that soon, recording them and getting feedback from the guys.

As with everything in my life, it’s a work in progress. The aim is dream ukes musicians can afford, inspiring in sound and feel, and look of course too. I really love this first batch so it’s exciting. I go back to the factory in April with Ryan and while he works w the builders I’ll be mostly with setup, hoping eventually international dealers can get these from the factory like they came from HMS. Gotta try.

I also want to mention that our support or supply of all the brands and luthiers we love will hopefully be even more robust over time. The goal is to have all the best stuff for you guys to choose from and variety is the spice of life. ‘Oli is another option and all of us here think these first ones are exceptional in voice and value, hope you do too. Still have to list a bunch of them along w new Kamaka, Kanile’a, Ko’olau, Cocobolos, Millars, KoAlanas, Tydes, Ken Franklin, Ono… then I gotta start helping the setup team. I feel guilty just being here.

Oh but also, as far as Chuck Moore, no one ever will be like him. I’m not a next level artist like like that but I’m doing the work the way I know how for this project. Taking pictures, designing in photoshop, going back and forth about wood dye colors etc and eventually adding a unique touch to these. The one on the ebony models with the hanging heliconia I redesigned already though. It was too close in concept to one Chuck had done that I hadn’t seen until a few days ago. We have some coming but after that it will be different. And most of them will change over time. Just did this one for a pineapple I’m working on. Idk, we’ll see how it comes out. Ok. Mahalos and much love to the community here! \m/

pineapple inlay.jpg

Nice to see you checking in on the forum! The new brand has certainly got our attention. 😍 Pineapples coming?! Sweet!!

As with everything in my life, it’s a work in progress.
As is true with us all! Love seeing the progress you're making, man!

I go back to the factory in April with Ryan and while he works w the builders I’ll be mostly with setup, hoping eventually international dealers can get these from the factory like they came from HMS. Gotta try.
This is an awesome goal. Saves HMS time when receiving new inventory too!

It's a new brand and there are quite a lot of them all of a sudden. I have just bought something else from HMS but if I was looking at these I would be a little overwhelmed by the choice right now. I'd also probably think, well, I'll wait until tomorrow as there will probably be even more to chose from with even more wood combinations. They are intriguing but my immediate reaction is whoa, slow down!

Keep em coming , something for everyone . Where are those sopranos , and long neck sopranos ?

Top Bottom