Long neck worth it?

Natomas

Reaction score
Hello!

I've been playing this cheap antique soprano uke ("The Peach") for years, and it sounds OK up until like the 7th fret, after which the intonation is way off. I'm thinking of upgrading. I like the soprano sound but it would be great to get more play out of the higher frets, especially playing something like trad jazz rhythm. I see that Ohana and Kala are selling long neck sopranos in my price range ($100-200). Is it just a gimmick or is it more playable up the neck?

Thanks!

Long neck soprano is not really a soprano. It is really a concert-scale ukulele with a smaller body. A lot of people like these because they are easier to hold and play than a full-sized concert ukulele or they give you more of a soprano-like sound from a concert-scale fretboard. A cheap "long-neck soprano" may be a little more playable up-the-neck than a cheap regular soprano, but I think spending a little more money may give you a lot more playability if you really like the higher frets.

Since you have been playing your ukulele for years, I assume there is not an urgency. Best is to try some out when you have the chance.

A long neck soprano is quite different in sound than a soprano. It is more like a concert sound. Also, the scale is longer, so the spacing between frets is larger. You might love it... but you might not. And a good soprano can intonate well past the 7th fret.

In my experience long necks are not a gimmick, and are playable up the neck.

I once had a cordoba soprano with a standard length neck, but with 16 frets. It played great up the neck.

Right now I have a tenor scale neck on a soprano body that plays great. The neck meets the body at the 17th fret, so I rarely need to play over the body.

I think Ohana still makes one like that.

A quality soprano with 14-16 frets will let you play a lot of music. I love long necks, too.

yorkie.JPG

That's my long neck and for me and my style it is worth it. I think a cutaway is essential to get all the notes. The E on the 19th fret can be a bit plinky if you don't hit it right. But I love descending in a dim7 arpeggio from the D# on the 18th fret. And the D# on the 15th fret is very lush and much preferred to its analogue on the 3rd fret. So the intonation and playability is great. So great in fact that next month I should be picking up my baritone that will be approximately the same configuration except that I'll probably tune it B E G# C#.

borrow a concert and see if you like the scale length... there are also some really odd looking Tenors with soprano bodies.

The main issue you may have with a tenor neck on a soprano body is that the uke will be headstock-heavy and not balance well when you play. Using a strap should help, but be aware of the issue.

Thanks for all your replies, especially for the testimonials engravertom and ripock!

I would like to try first of course, but I don't think I will find anything locally. I stopped by a music store and their selection didn't include this category. No doubt a nicer regular-scale soprano would give better intonation (although I wasn't impressed by any of the options they had, except the used Martin way above my range) but I am attracted to the idea of a little more elbow room up there as well. There's a ukulele shop in a nearby city I will find an excuse to visit soon!

hendulele - That makes sense, I guess that's a trade-off... Another reason to try first!

badhabits - you guessed it. Any local recommendations?

I have an Ohana SK-30M which is an all-solid mahogany long-neck (concert scale) soprano and I LOVE it! I bought it as a bargain priced B-stock from Mim's Ukes. It wasn't even designated as a B-stock by the factory, she labeled it as such because if you held it up in the light just right you could see some light scratches in the satin finish. You can't even see them unless you are specifically looking for them in just the right light. It sounds great and it's one of my favorite players. As far as how it plays up the neck I'm not of much help. To me, that's the "dusty" end! 😄 😄

....badhabits - you guessed it. Any local recommendations?

The folks at Kline treated me very well, but I'm guessing that's where you visited (saw the used Martin soprano on their site).

badhabits - you guessed it. Any local recommendations?
been way too long since I lived there, decades... for ukes, same recs as others, The strum shop in Roseville or maybe Kline music near Sac city college...there used to be a uke group at the L&L on Florin road, I think on Friday nights, don't know if that's still going...

I have an Ohana SK-30M which is an all-solid mahogany long-neck (concert scale) soprano and I LOVE it! I bought it as a bargain priced B-stock from Mim's Ukes. It wasn't even designated as a B-stock by the factory, she labeled it as such because if you held it up in the light just right you could see some light scratches in the satin finish. You can't even see them unless you are specifically looking for them in just the right light. It sounds great and it's one of my favorite players. As far as how it plays up the neck I'm not of much help. To me, that's the "dusty" end! 😄 😄
Those little Ohana sk-'s are crazy good ukes!

I always use a strap, but that point is well made. Not everyone does. Thankfully mine has friction tuners so not quite as heavy, but it still has a strap.

Those are good...make sure to get a quality setup if going that route. I had one with razor sharp frets.
I was lucky to get mine from uke republic so no problems there . It was great, and the lightest thing I’ve ever held too. I instantly knew it was nicer than anything I’d ever played, it was crazy. I only got rid of it because I got my Supa wow which is on a whole different level, and I didn’t like switching between scale lengths so I just stopped playing the Kiwaya altogether. If I never got the Supa wow tho I’d still have the Kiwaya for sure. I sold it to somebody here.

I bought a Shima long neck soprano from UU Marketplace a few years ago in your price range. Really nice sound and beautifully made. I think both of your options are good choices if you get them with a set up, but keep an eye on the marketplace here as well. I have 4 fantastic ukes from here.

I bought a Shima long neck soprano from UU Marketplace a few years ago in your price range. Really nice sound and beautifully made. I think both of your options are good choices if you get them with a set up, but keep an eye on the marketplace here as well. I have 4 fantastic ukes from here.
Wife has one of those... slightly wider and chunkier neck to go along with the extra length. They were about 1/2 off at $150 on eBay not too long ago, but it looks like they may be gone (both the ukes and the co). IIWM, I'd consider the SLNG set up from TUS...if they continue to carry it alongside all those K brands and customs it must be all right.

Top Bottom