what's the difference between a long-neck soprano and a travel-concert ukulele?

man0a

Reaction score
Some brands sell one or the other, but some brands sell both "long-neck soprano" and "travel-concert" ukuleles. Both types of ukuleles usually have concert-scale necks with 14 frets to the body so you can play up-the-neck somewhat easily. Both types also have smaller than average bodies, which makes them easier to carry when traveling and perhaps easier to hold and play than an average size concert ukulele. The long-neck body is usually less wide than regular concert ukuleles while the travel-concert is usually less thick. Does the shape of the body (when the volume is the same) really make any difference to tone or sound quality? Is there any other reason to buy one style over the other, assuming build quality is similar (which is often the case when both styles are made by the same company). If not, is there any good reason for both styles to exist?

To my ears, the body shape and size does make some difference. A travel concert and long neck soprano are two distinct instruments, from my perspective, even though they share the same scale length. The smaller but deeper soprano body gives more of a soprano sound and feel when I play a long neck soprano. A travel concert with a thin but more concert sized body sounds more resonant and fuller, not as much of the soprano Uke sound.

I like both, but they feel and sound different to me.

If you want a more traditional Uke sound with more fretboard real estate, a long neck soprano might be what you are after. If you want a compact instrument with a fuller sound, the travel concert may be the choice.

But, it’s all so subjective, especially comparing brands and price ranges. Both types have a reason to exist! Have fun deciding!

To my ears, the body shape and size does make some difference. A travel concert and long neck soprano are two distinct instruments, from my perspective, even though they share the same scale length. The smaller but deeper soprano body gives more of a soprano sound and feel when I play a long neck soprano. A travel concert with a thin but more concert sized body sounds more resonant and fuller, not as much of the soprano Uke sound.

I like both, but they feel and sound different to me.

If you want a more traditional Uke sound with more fretboard real estate, a long neck soprano might be what you are after. If you want a compact instrument with a fuller sound, the travel concert may be the choice.

But, it’s all so subjective, especially comparing brands and price ranges. Both types have a reason to exist! Have fun deciding!
Have you tried a lot of different brands and models of long-neck sopranos and travel concerts? Can you name some of your favorites?

Have you tried a lot of different brands and models of long-neck sopranos and travel concerts? Can you name some of your favorites?
I have owned 4 long neck sopranos, and one tenor neck. I have only owned one concert with a thin body. It was not named as a travel concert, but its body dimensions were very much like the Kala travel series of ukes.

I also have two Kala travel ukes, a soprano and a tenor.

I really like the Kala solid top spruce long neck soprano, but the Anuenue long neck I gave to my daughter is the nicest one I have owned. It’s all laminate, but lightly built and very sweet and resonant.

The one thin body concert I had was a pacific, and it sounded very nice. A different quality of sound than the longneck soprano ukes I have tried. I gave that and my tenor neck soprano to a very good friend who teaches music.

The tenor neck soprano was great to play, loud, and had a very pretty sound with Martin fluorocarbon strings. It was a Kailua, and I couldn’t really find any information about the brand. There is a company using that name again, but appears that it might be a different company. I didn’t see them showing a tenor neck soprano either.

Ohana still makes one, and I think a higher quality brand may also. 17 frets to the body is wonderful!

I’m very happy with my two Kala travel ukes. They are loud and sound good, comfortable to hold and play. The soprano only gives you 12 frets total.

Based on my experience, if I wanted a concert scale instrument I would get a Kala travel concert. If I wanted a soprano body with a long scale, I would get that Ohana with the tenor neck. But I would be totally happy with a long neck soprano if the tenor neck was too long for me.

Also keep in mind that strings can make a huge difference in sound and playability, along with how you tune them.

Again, for me the main choice is if I want a soprano like sound, get a long neck. If I want a more concert like sound in a compact format, try a travel concert.

Hope that helps!

I was not aware of this distinction. I have a concert scale with standard body that I got for travelling as it fits into a suitcase quite nicely. I think thst there is a lack of definitions but a large variety of body shapes and dimensions, and depth is not discussed very often. Maybe we need to classify all ukes into regular, deep, and shallow? I have a tenor that is deeper than others, and that really helps with resonance for linear tuning. I also have a vintage KoAloha concert, that looks more shallow than modern KoAlohas and may not have as much volume. An Enya Nova mini U is even more shallow, and very quiet.

Koalohas and kin (Opio, Rebel) are still thinner than many others, except for Kala travel ukes…novas also have in-between scales, same for flea and flight….so as a concert player I’d get a soprano since it’s already a bit of a sacrifice. If the flea spacing worked for me I’d get that since it has a smaller body and sounds better.

Would be interesting to examine how top surface area and depth of body work together to influence what we hear. I am not aware of any manufacturer that actually publishes surface area or body volume in their specs.

Koalohas and kin (Opio, Rebel) are still thinner than many others, except for Kala travel ukes…novas also have in-between scales, same for flea and flight….so as a concert player I’d get a soprano since it’s already a bit of a sacrifice. If the flea spacing worked for me I’d get that since it has a smaller body and sounds better.
Rebel does have their thinline ukuleles (thinner depth) and their double thick ukuleles (normal depth). The thinline versions sound quite a bit better than the Kala travel ukuleles, but are also somewhat more expensive. Curiously, Rebel makes a thinline concert but not a longneck soprano, while Opio makes a longneck soprano but not a thinline concert.
https://therebelguitars.com/project/cheese-cake-concert/

Top Bottom